Escape and Breakaway: Sofa "Beds" Question

mickeychicky

I am trying to decide which ship to book next and I have a question about the sofa's in the balcony rooms and/or the mini suite rooms. We might have 3 in our party or 4, don't really know yet.

Does the sofa actually OPEN up into a bed? All I can find are photos showing the sofa just made up as a bed but not pulled out. Does anyone have first hand knowledge and or photo's they can share?

Thanks!

That’s correct, on the newer ships the person sleeps along the length of the sofa bed, rather than out into the room. That way they can have the room a bit narrower at that point and is the reason why the rooms alternate between having the sofa by the door or balcony.

It is the same on the Breakaway or Escape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For that room type, the sofa-bed is just "made up" into a bed. Person #4 sleeps in the pullman from the ceiling.

On certain other room types, the sofa-bed opens for 2.

Well I would love to find out which rooms have the actual PULL OUT sofa bed. With 4 adults this could get quite interesting or comical. Good thing for the UBP!

• Haha 1

If I remember to take a picture and come back here I can share it with you. We will be in a balcony room with our daughter so we will have the sofa made into a bed for her.

From what I have seen through reviews, videos, and pictures it looks like they remove the back of the sofa and put it on the floor in front of it the sofa. That is for the 3rd person. If the room allows for 4 people there will be a pullman bed on either the wall or ceiling.

This video show how a mini suite on the getaway is setup with a pullman and sofa setup as beds. Like I said before, I think the back of the sofa might come off to give more room.

Well I would love to find out which rooms have the actual PULL OUT sofa bed. With 4 adults this could get quite interesting or comical. Good thing for the UBP!

4 adults would probably be tight to fit into one cabin unless you go with some of the Haven suites. It might be better to go for connecting cabins in that case. Plus if you do 2 cabins then all 4 get the UBP "free" and only have to pay the grats for it. If you stuff 4 adults into one cabin then 2 of them will need to pay full price for the UBP, which would be $623 per person for a 7 night cruise. ($89pp/pd).

You aren’t going to find any if not in a suite, and someone will need to climb into the Pullman.

4 adults would probably be tight to fit into one cabin unless you go with some of the Haven suites. It might be better to go for connecting cabins in that case. Plus if you do 2 cabins then all 4 get the UBP "free" and only have to pay the grats for it. If you stuff 4 adults into one cabin then 2 of them will need to pay full price for the UBP, which would be $623 per person for a 7 night cruise. ($89pp/pd).

Yes, but we would lose the 3rd and 4th person "free" (not really) if we go with two rooms. Already priced it both ways. We're talking ex extra, at minimum, $1000 going with two rooms. And the 3rd/4th person/people won't be getting the UBP anyway.

Some of the H7s have a double sofa bed.

H6 has a double sofa-bed.

H4 has a double sofa bed.

H3 has a double sofa-bed.

H2 has a double sofa-bed.

I think (not sure) the forward facing "xx700" ocean-view staterooms have a double sofa-bed on Escape but not on BA/GA (they are HC on BA/GA).

There are a few differences between Getaway and Escape so I may need to do some editing later.

This is the typical sofa/bed with the foam cushion/mattress - back cushion just lifted up/away.

RS will get the sheets, pillow, etc. normally kept under the large slide-out drawers beneath it. The 4th. is a pullman bed that recessed flat up into the ceiling, and swing down as required for occupancy, directly over the sofabed - you can see the rectangular frame/opening in the picture.

It's not a pullout but a full length, single bed - and firm for sleeping/napping ... better than one of the regular mattress with sagging springs in our balcony stateroom.

c22ab8ce6bb470edf31de273d03e28a1.jpg

93a34a59113dfeff4477fa1a181574fa.jpg

This is the typical sofa/bed with the foam cushion/mattress - back cushion just lifted up/away.

RS will get the sheets, pillow, etc. normally kept under the large slide-out drawers beneath it. The 4th. is a pullman bed that recessed flat up into the ceiling, and swing down as required for occupancy, directly over the sofabed - you can see the rectangular frame/opening in the picture.

c22ab8ce6bb470edf31de273d03e28a1.jpg93a34a59113dfeff4477fa1a181574fa.jpg

Well, that sofa doesn't look toooo bad. It can't be any worse then sleeping on the regular bed when they get pulled apart.

Actually, $735.14 - can't forget that 18% that gets tacked on!!

I purposely omitted the gratuity as if they were in another cabin they would have to pay that on the "free" package.

If they are not getting the UBP package and you are using the free 3'rd and 4th guest it will be cheaper to go all in one cabin, but it is going to be tight. Even the minisuites are not that big. Most of the extra space is used in the bathroom.

Well, that sofa doesn't look toooo bad. It can't be any worse then sleeping on the regular bed when they get pulled apart.

Yes, see my postscript comment above as I had to merge pictures from Tapatalk.

DW slept better with that high density foam cushion than. Mini-suites have the bigger bathroom with double sinks and about 3' longer in the main sleeping/living area to share, a foldable playpen has room in between the main beds and the sofa bed (sorry, that was one of our neighbor's - no pictures available)

Room Steward do leave the 3rd. (and, 4th. bed) setup for sleeping during the week.21c2d5a76eb7ab25cafd83e1b6998bae.jpg

There is no way 2 adults would be comfortable on a sofa bed.....at least, I wouldn't be sleeping on it, and I'm fairly "light"...they aren't comfortable unless you're a kid/teen that can sleep anywhere.

Totally agree. Even in the H2 on the Breakaway. I had to sleep on that pull out one night as my nephew was sick and fell asleep in the master bed and I didn't want to wake him. The padding is very thin (even with the egg crate). Needless to say it was not a good night's sleep! Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Thanks 1

If I remember to take a picture and come back here I can share it with you. We will be in a balcony room with our daughter so we will have the sofa made into a bed for her.

From what I have seen through reviews, videos, and pictures it looks like they remove the back of the sofa and put it on the floor in front of it the sofa. That is for the 3rd person. If the room allows for 4 people there will be a pullman bed on either the wall or ceiling.

This video show how a mini suite on the getaway is setup with a pullman and sofa setup as beds. Like I said before, I think the back of the sofa might come off to give more room.

If you have a Pullman in your room and the daughter is willing to climb up, it gives you more space when you wake up to have the sofa free from someone sleeping. (and it being made up in the evening.

• 2 weeks later...

I can now report back on how the bed on the Breakaway is set up. So the top portion of the sofa actually slides away from the wall a bit. The back cushion then drops down a bit. We ended up putting the top cushion on the floor and sliding the bed back against the wall as the first night our daughter fell out of the bed. It is hard to tell in this picture but the two drawers on under the sofa also get pulled out to help support the bed.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY3ZmYAZS05NWQ5LTRjMTktMDACLTAwCgBGAAADzbiR%2FPIpSEGN8OcfAF7myAcA7Sc8T0yLZkuOEd10mBreBwAAAgEMAAAACBrLONMVWk6I%2BSe6Sf2i%2FgAAALAByq8AAAABEgAQALPJ3x%2BWQQ5MoqV%2FI%2BnXDJA%3D&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=AbFMWkEZRkKXlfIkg9zop5DOdo_sMNUYyL_Bf_dXZVTcr9D8vWAW1U2VJ3EkxSYDzz2GZUhIKVg.&token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsIng1dCI6ImVuaDlCSnJWUFU1aWpWMXFqWmpWLWZMMmJjbyJ9.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.TxGET8jJgnm7uDpThJdRuQzsDAEVv8xze2KpbA5q7RhC8VfUsVmC6M4L80bpEtFTeG2whF2e7Z2X-NAATHOFgpINDzOzuQfZ1EUGrB_gGdSAbttSDOGckTTgYTi0yln-YfUG8BxJCtfF2_OfPoQVpYc98XDeKoTiWZI-3DEC127x7iFZEKzIjenD2SSsjbGi1YTN8OOGYk4fxKlx2LnR06OGdjtR_gV9M0KRO5pFEVbyw6Kv0PtUEDBrW96U_9jcOocCBzCRfaRVG4mx-B4WKiJn1ittGafph1E9VlIh--5UNLxq3Egfn80mBwub2PItlsie_PDQve84ytZ3yl_urA&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1