Transferring drink package

kathyemma

I got my husband a drink package for a really great price. He won't be able to come on the cruise. I would like to transfer it to my mom. Has anyone done this before? I just emailed my TA and waiting to hear back from her. I don't want to return my husbands and rebuy for my mom b/c it is much more expensive now. Some of the details....my dh and I are in one room. My mom is in a different room. Royal doesn't know my dh isn't coming on the cruise yet. I don't mind if my TA has to switch around people and put my mom in my room and my dh in the second room.

TIA

Kathy

Okay, I just heard from my TA. She said when we check in have my dh be a no show and ask them to xfer the drink package to my mom at check in. Hopefully that will work!

If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear what happened.

Okay, I just heard from my TA. She said when we check in have my dh be a no show and ask them to xfer the drink package to my mom at check in. Hopefully that will work!

If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear what happened.

IMHO they won't transfer the drink package. If your husband is a no show they have to refund it to him. Same thing happened to my hubby one year and he was a no show. They refunded his dining reservations, gratuities, port fees and taxes back to the original form of payment.

IMHO they won't transfer the drink package. If your husband is a no show they have to refund it to him. Same thing happened to my hubby one year and he was a no show. They refunded his dining reservations, gratuities, port fees and taxes back to the original form of payment.

ugh....did you try to get it transferred to a different person in your party?

I just called Royal - they said they won't xfer at the pier, they will just refund the money. (Which I don't want since I got the drink package at a great price.) They did say if my TA called and moved my mom into my room and my DH into my mom's room - then they could xfer the package to my mom. I messaged my TA and asked her to try to make this happen. We all know that if you call royal 10 times you will get 10 different answers.

Kathy

I just called Royal - they said they won't xfer at the pier, they will just refund the money. (Which I don't want since I got the drink package at a great price.) They did say if my TA called and moved my mom into my room and my DH into my mom's room - then they could xfer the package to my mom. I messaged my TA and asked her to try to make this happen. We all know that if you call royal 10 times you will get 10 different answers.

Kathy

Correct, even if the only two choices are "yes" or "no".:)

Kathy

I would hesitate to do this as if your DH is a no show - they are not going to let you keep the other room for your mom.

I am not knowledgeable about all the ins and outs. But it would seem to me that if you switched you mom and husband. And then canceled your husband you would get the refund for you husband and that would make up for the difference between drink package pricing. Of course just because it would make since does not mean it is the reality. But I would check into it.

To make my life easier I just went ahead and paid for a drink package for my mom and cancelled my husbands.

Keep watching your Cruise Planner (and this board) for a new sale on the package. It may go down again. Then you can cancel and re-book.

:)

ETA: Just checked your posting history, and you are sailing in 8 days. It is unlikely there will be sale in the meantime. Oh well.

Bon Voyage anyway. ;)

please share the details on this...... how much was it a day? where did they see the sale? ship & date ? this would be AWESOME

There was just a sale last weekend. I am guessing that you didn't look at your Cruise Planner on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

If you want to catch a sale, you need to check.

To make my life easier I just went ahead and paid for a drink package for my mom and cancelled my husbands.

That is actually what you have to do. We had three cabins on Oasis for the family a few months ago. My wife and I are D+ so we don't do drink packages. We had my son in with me and DIL in with my wife to take advantage of the D+ C & A discount. I purchased Drink Packages, at a discount, for my son and DIL (you could do one per room at the time). Later I switched my wife and son so we'd be in the cabin we were staying in, for ease. I did this a few months before the cruise as the rates dropped and we were much lower than the previous one and our D+ discount wouldn't apply. When I did this the Drink Package stayed with the cabin and was attached to my wife's reservation. I called RCI and told them I wanted it to stay with him. They said that when you switch rooms you must cancel the drink package and repurchase. Luckily they came back on sale so it didn't cost me much to repurchase, but was certainly a lesson learned. That is their policy, so I guess you have to live with it.

That is actually what you have to do. We had three cabins on Oasis for the family a few months ago. My wife and I are D+ so we don't do drink packages. We had my son in with me and DIL in with my wife to take advantage of the D+ C & A discount. I purchased Drink Packages, at a discount, for my son and DIL (you could do one per room at the time). Later I switched my wife and son so we'd be in the cabin we were staying in, for ease. I did this a few months before the cruise as the rates dropped and we were much lower than the previous one and our D+ discount wouldn't apply. When I did this the Drink Package stayed with the cabin and was attached to my wife's reservation. I called RCI and told them I wanted it to stay with him. They said that when you switch rooms you must cancel the drink package and repurchase. Luckily they came back on sale so it didn't cost me much to repurchase, but was certainly a lesson learned. That is their policy, so I guess you have to live with it.

Same thing applies for anything purchased through the cruise planner (excursions, show reservations, dinner reservations etc..) they are attached to the room and not the guest. If the guest moves rooms the purchases stay with the room and not the guest.

Same thing applies for anything purchased through the cruise planner (excursions, show reservations, dinner reservations etc..) they are attached to the room and not the guest. If the guest moves rooms the purchases stay with the room and not the guest.

So if RCI happens to provide a upgrade everything you did with prior planning for your cruise is lost because of a room change? Does the person who ends up with your old room get all your reservations and packages? Suppose you bought a drink package on sale then your room gets changed at a time when the package is not on sale. You then have to re-buy it at a higher price? This all makes no sense to me at all.

So if RCI happens to provide a upgrade everything you did with prior planning for your cruise is lost because of a room change? Does the person who ends up with your old room get all your reservations and packages? Suppose you bought a drink package on sale then your room gets changed at a time when the package is not on sale. You then have to re-buy it at a higher price? This all makes no sense to me at all.

With upgrades they transfer everything. It is if you have multiple cabins and start moving guests from one cabin to the other is where the issue lies.

With upgrades they transfer everything. It is if you have multiple cabins and start moving guests from one cabin to the other is where the issue lies.

Got it. That makes more sense. So if I have a cabin and then notice that another opens up that I like better in the same category and call in to change to the new cabin everything should stay the same with reservations and packages?