Have you ever not liked your table mates??

bobjer17

Who said I believed JH? How do you know they don't get their tips? According to a bartender we frequented, she gets all the tips assigned to her bill. We ususally tipped cash and one day I had no cash, she said it doesn't matter she gets the money either way.

We generally tell them at check in desk that there are 2 of us, but we will gladly sit with a solo cruiser. We have met some great people that way. We don't have to wait for a large table to fill up, and gives a person traveling alone to have some conversations. Many people that travel alone has lost loved ones, and are just trying to get back into normalcy, and we have never had a bad experience.

Aww that is a really thoughtful thing to do. You sound like great people yourselves!

But why keep the table and plan never to come. If they didnt like us they could have just switched tables.

Exactly, so probably they liked you just fine. I always ate dinner in the dining room on all my cruises, but on the Triumph last spring, my husband, on his first cruise, did not like how long it took on the first night - about 1 hour, 40 minutes, and so we only went back one more night of the 5 night cruise when we were not pressed for time to make the evening show. Perhaps that's why these folks wanted to eat up in the buffet most evenings, but keep the dining room option open. Likely it had nothing to do with you.

Once they told you they did not plan to eat there each night, it would have been easier and more effective for you to ask to change tables than to ask these folks to give up their assigned seating. Even if they had, you might have ended up alone as there is no guarantee the staff would have given their seats to anyone else.

Not saying you are wrong for asking, but really it is much easier to make a change yourself than ask someone else to do so.

Believe it or not, years ago, there wasn't such a stigma on the use of that word. Maybe since the 90's?

I went to a racially mixed school and in grade school used it all the time. I'd get called hunky, I'd respond back (or visa-versa). No big deal. Not even fighting words and at times it was said jokingly.

Back then the fight phrase was, "Your momma" If you said that, then the gloves came off. Kids got bent over that.

Times change, oftentimes, people don't.

Believe it or not there has always been a stigma attached to THAT word when an ignorant person uses it to refer to someone else. The fact that stupid kids in years past tried to use it flippantly does not change the ugliness behind the N word.

My first cruise we were placed at a table for 2 which we loved. I’m noticing many people saying they just request this on cruises. How do I go about requesting a table for two on my upcoming honeymoon cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did YTD last cruise with my husband and I. Also did it this cruise I returned from today and we had 10 people. My husband and I showed up when we wanted and just asked for table for two. We were given one and then found a wait team that we liked and asked for a table in their section. This is what I would do if you have time to request YTD. If not, go to maitre d in the first day after boarding and they can find a spot for you that you want. Congrats to you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did YTD last cruise with my husband and I. Also did it this cruise I returned from today and we had 10 people. My husband and I showed up when we wanted and just asked for table for two. We were given one and then found a wait team that we liked and asked for a table in their section. This is what I would do if you have time to request YTD. If not, go to maitre d in the first day after boarding and they can find a spot for you that you want. Congrats to you!

Thank you so much! I’m not sure if we still have the option for YTD but I’ll check it out and if not we I’ll ask the Maitre d. Thanks again for the help!

I suppose I am naive to be surprised that I am not alone among those who have heard the "N" word from a table-mate. Years ago, I was with my mom who was raised in the 60's and one who I would describe as an activist and protester during that time. We were shocked to sit next to and hear an older man with a heavy southern accent use the word. We both thought we misheard him, until later after dinner when we talked about it. Literally, I had never heard anyone actually say the word. It was sad because I remember his wife seemed to be so lovely.

Another issue I have experienced is the wine thing. I enjoy having wine with dinner. I usually order a bottle, and bring the remainder to the cabin afterward. I have had people negatively comment on this, which makes me feel uncomfortable.

Lastly, sometimes I feel shy or introverted. Sometimes I feel like it's hard to be myself around others. I think it might be social anxiety, I don't know. I would hate for my table-mates to think I'm being rude because I am quiet...so that's another tricky one.

I love to meet people and make friends but with a 2-hour dinner, I feel like it's too risky for me, so I always choose MTD.

That is terrible about the gentleman and the "n" word. But suppose some people think it is normal. I am hoping we get a table for two and not have to worry about it.

Wow.....some people :o

What do you mean, some people? Sat at a table for 10..Out of 5 couples, 2 couples knew it all. Argument came fairly early the second night which almost came to blows. NEVER again will I feel uncomfortable on a cruise. My hubby and I are totally OK with our own company, 45 years married in June and add 2 years dating in high school. Table for 2 all the way...meet you at the Lido or the Alchemy bar, just not dinner. 35+ cruises hopefully will make it to my 50 milestone!!

What do you mean, some people? Sat at a table for 10..Out of 5 couples, 2 couples knew it all. Argument came fairly early the second night which almost came to blows. NEVER again will I feel uncomfortable on a cruise. My hubby and I are totally OK with our own company, 45 years married in June and add 2 years dating in high school. Table for 2 all the way...meet you at the Lido or the Alchemy bar, just not dinner. 35+ cruises hopefully will make it to my 50 milestone!!

The problem was it wasn't a "hot topic" it was ordinary conversation and he threw the "n word" out a couple of times. How he thought that was acceptable with complete strangers, in public we don't know. We finally called him on it. Didn't really phase him. We were horrified!

Yes you are quite right. This type of person would ruin anyone's dinner. I can only hope he gets indigestion. Don't worry about it move on and meet lots more people, there will always be ignorant people and also lots of nice people. I know what you mean about meeting them a over the ship , I have had that too. X

Just wondering why you felt like it was necessary for you to point out the gentleman had a strong southern accent. I have heard racist comments from people of many accents and races.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I would not read anything into it I believe they where just describing the facts of the event .

My first cruise we were placed at a table for 2 which we loved. I’m noticing many people saying they just request this on cruises. How do I go about requesting a table for two on my upcoming honeymoon cruise?

In the MDR you can email the Maitre'd of that ship and make your request. You will not always get a response BUT our request for a private table for 3 has always been granted. On boarding day you can go to your MDR assignment and check on the location of your table. The MDR opens (not for food) around 1:30 and you can enter to check on your table.

I don't know if he was saying it, but based on this thread, I would say you are correct.

After 30 or so cruises on Carnival do not think that Carnival caters to anything other than good upstanding people.

We have made many friends over the years from people we have met on our cruises.

A few exceptions does change my view.

My wife and I love the big table. We chose late dining, so we can go from the early show right to dinner. The long process of the meal is the end to our wonderful day.

Our first cruise we sat at a table of 10. After the first night, 2 of the couples were never seen again, but the 6 of us have stayed in touch every since.

Our second cruise we were also at a table of 10. Us and another couple were the only everynighters. We have stayed in touch and they are now great friends of ours.

Our third cruise, again late table of 10. It was the best group yet. We laughed and shut the dining room down every night. Last to leave.

So with all that said, of course on our next cruise we have picked late dining, and we'll see what the fates have in store for us. And at every meal so far in our short cruising history, there has been a prayer.

We like to meet new people on cruises and always ask for a table of 4-8.

So we are selfish because we didnt want to sit alone?

BTW we did move after day 5 or 6 of 14 day cruise and our wait staff for table 2 got the auto tips. There was no way at the time to reallocate tips without cancelling autotips and paying everyone in cash.

Our old table mates did come to DR once (new table was in another section a few tables away and pretty sure they didnt tip all that well for 3 or 4 dinners in DR.

So our original waitstaff really got screwed over.

And so many people are calling us selfish?

No, you are selfish because you expected someone else to do what you wanted them to do. It was a little ridiculous to ask them to cancel their table.

Ridiculous to ask them to cancel their table when they told me they planned to never come back?

Seriously?

Yes it was ridiculous . Why should they cancel their table because you wanted company every night ? Maybe one night they would want to come to the dining room .

On the first cruise we took our kids on (9 & 12) we were always pretty early for dinner - usually at the MDR when the doors opened. That would put us at the table first. Since we had early seating- it was still daylight when we ate. We were at a oblong table for 8 near a window. Our kids would always grab the seats on Esther side by the window. On the third night two older ladies at the table stated that it wasn’t fair that our kids always took the window seats and did not allow others to experience the view.... honestly I had never considered that this was rude. Especially since at least 500 other people seated in the middle of the dining room never got the option of a view... needless to say- that made it very awkward after that.

That is one of the best parts of ATD. you only endure one night. [emoji851]