Jewelry

irishwitchy

I agree with 1982CruzStart and Pamela1 on this and wear what makes you comfortable and happy wearing. I've seen plenty of women on board with beautiful pieces of jewelry. I personally take some of my "good" classic pieces and feel more comfortable wearing them to dinner on the ship than I do in any of the major cities I live in. Don't feel like you have to wear only department store baubles, or in the alternative flashy bling, because you will see some of both and everything in between.

Of course it is about what makes you comfortable -- my interpretation of the TS's post is that they wanted to know what most people on Regent wear. While I agree it is mixed, it is much more low key on this cruise (the Amazon) and I feel that the is the case on Caribbean and Alaska itineraries. As usual, it seems that people from the U.S. wear less bling than in some other countries (more or less goes along with people from the U.S. dressing less formally).

My point above is to take inconsideration what you wear OFF of the ship. IMO, if Regent recommends that you be cautious or to remove all of your jewelry, there is generally a really good reason.

Many of the ports that the ship visits, keeping jewelry to a bare minimum is recommended for numerous reasons. On the ship, do people bring out the good stuff or keep it simple and "cheap".

I think the TS knows not to wear jewelry in port and was asking more about what was typical on the ship.

I think the TS knows not to wear jewelry in port and was asking more about what was typical on the ship.

That is pretty much what I said..... what people wear on the ship. However, the issue of having jewelry stolen in port was brought up on this thread. Since we are in a country where this is an issue, I decided to chime in. We are actually not disagreeing - I just expanded my recommendation to accommodate the additional comments.

Yes, the question was what is worn on the Ship? I have done lots of land trips that jewelry doesn't come with me, because shall we say we are always in port:D

Thanks for a very nice discussion. I don't have a timex or a tiara, but I do want to feel dressed up sometimes on a nice cruise!

joining the party - If it's just the cruise, I bring and wear the good stuff on the ship. If I have any type of road trip tacked on before or after, I leave the good stuff at home because there is no way to secure it. The exception is of course the wedding and anniversary bands -- I pretty much where them everywhere (except in Brazil where we told not to).

I don’t even wear my engagement and wedding ring. I wear my travel rings...no bling. I have seen some very NICE rings and I always wonder “what are they thinking”.

Maybe they're fake. I have a friend who had all of her good jewelry copied and the good stuff went into her safe deposit box. She said she didn't want to be mugged and killed for her jewelry.

Her fakes were so good she very well might have been mugged for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The sad thing is that this is nothing new - my first wife worked for Pan-Am years ago and they had a very liberal employee pass program. We had planned on going to Rio for a week but heard so many horror stories from other airline employees that we never went. In fact, one of the ladies in her office had her arm slashed by a purse grabber who used a knife to slash her strap during a grab-and-run. This was in the early 90's - I can only imagine how it is today. Not the kind of place I really want to hang out for even a brief vacation, although we're booked there in January '19. We'll make our decision on how far to wander from the ship/hotel when we're there. :o :mad:

My wife was also a PanAm stewardess and will always take her good stuff when traveling. At first I tried to dissuade her, but she would always say "Why spend the money to keep jewelry in a safe deposit box?" Her wisdom finally made sense to me, so now I take several good watches plus a Citizen for more questionable tours .Boy, is jewelry insurance expensive.

My best friend's wife is Brazilian and absentmindedly wore a gold necklace on the streets of her hometown Rio. A jeweler came out of his shop and reminded her of where she was. Good man. Her husband wasn't so lucky. His wallet was grabbed and as he chased the thief, the felon tossed contents on the street. What a predicament. Pick up the cards or chase the crook? And, yes, my friend can take care of himself, believe me :)

Just a reminder to all passengers to CAREFULLY check your safe upon disembarkation - I have a habit of removing the small piece of carpet that lines the bottom of the safe just to make sure (ok, I admit, I have a slight case of OCD) that I have left nothing behind. Imagine my surprise when on one of my cruises I was doing my "inspection" and under the carpet found a beautiful diamond earring, that did not belong to me. From the markings, I could tell it was "the real thing".

I immediately brought it to reception and hopefully it was returned to its owner.

gnomie :)

I

On a ship tour several days ago, I noticed a woman, adorned in large diamond rings, diamond earrings and a diamond watch. I don't know who she was trying to impress. It certainly couldn't be because she just "loves" her jewelry. When I asked her husband, he said they weren't nervous. She wears them because she enjoys it.

Not too smart. Wear them on the ship but leave them in your safe when you are ashore.

On a cruise several years ago, departing from Buenos Aires, a couple staying at our hotel, precruise, went to the museum, both wearing Rolex watches. When they returned, we spoke with them. They were attacked coming out of the museum and their watches were ripped from their wrists. They were very bruised and lucky their injuries weren't worse. They were so distraught and were debating going home before the ship even left. That experience taught me, leave the "good stuff" home or in a hotel/ship safe.

We are secure enough within ourselves and don't need to impress others.