LIVE!!!!! From the ECLIPSE 14night Southern Carib!! - CHICAGOPAUL -

chicagopaul

We ate in Murano tonight. Interesting experience tonight. Overall great food as usual but a few things I will comment on in the morning and one thing really irritated me. But we will discuss this in the morning with you all and I’ll share my thoughts with the powers that be tomorrow.

The deck party tonight was amazing! I have some great video of Sue singing so check out my Instagram page for that. If you don’t follow me (PaulKBlackburn is the name) I’ll put together some YouTube videos at the end of the cruise.

Wishing you all a wonderful evening. Thank you again for following along our journey with us. I’ll have new menus posted in the AM as well and the cruise is not over. Please send any questions our way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Morning Everyone and Happy Wednesday. We are still in Curaçao and it looks to be a nice day, albeit a few possible rain clouds that are slowly moving out of the area.

Here is today’s Daily program. We will leave Curaçao today at 5 and head to Aruba.

020225f9702681cfd84c92dc86ec1d8f.jpg

c425a4e33ac2258992a1e85eee140ec1.jpg

da894cb2c2646d450c86cce2eba6d0ba.jpg

264b351993d2fa02b4ea812577800b14.jpg

Good Morning Everyone and Happy Wednesday. We are still in Curaçao and it looks to be a nice day, albeit a few possible rain clouds that are slowly moving out of the area.

Here is today’s Daily program. We will leave Curaçao today at 5 and head to Aruba.

020225f9702681cfd84c92dc86ec1d8f.jpg

c425a4e33ac2258992a1e85eee140ec1.jpg

da894cb2c2646d450c86cce2eba6d0ba.jpg

264b351993d2fa02b4ea812577800b14.jpg

Paul please re post only one page visible in the PC in the iPhone idem other pictures only the icon visible

Thanks in advance

Gerardo

Last night our dinner was in Murano. We had this booked specifically for the steak Diane. As long as you give them a days notice it can be arranged for you and is absolutely delicious. Our waiter told us that it was on the very original menu but pulled off and is now used as a “secret” item.

Overall I was a little disappointed in my Murano experience last night. We’ve eaten in Murano around 25 times in our sails with Celebrity and I’ve always felt from a service aspect that Murano rivaled the best of the best restaurants. Last night it felt like I was in any half way decent restaurant. Our waiter was good (and cooked a great steak Diane) but service elsewhere seemed lacking. For example we ordered a white wine to start (Sancerre on the by the glass menu which they’re out of but had a similar substitute). At the same time told our waiter we wanted two glasses of the Freemark Abbey Cabernet with our steak. Our sommelier didn’t know about this but more importantly he didn’t seem to care. When the steak was about to arrive we were informed they were out of the freemark abbey and offered Decoy or Kendall Jackson. Neither of which are comparable substitutes. Just as a point of reference the freemark is an additional $8 per glass over premium. So clearly we didn’t care about price. When I pushed the sommelier for a better option he just kind of stood there. Edward then made a comment about a wine Victor (sommelier from Luminae) gave us and the sommeliers attitude changed. He brought out an excellent blend that had beautiful flavor. I know this may sound like a petty complaint but it was irritating that he couldn’t show some enthusiasm about his job from the start. The purpose of the sommelier is to be there to help you have a wonderful wine. If they’re not going to do that then they are just a beverage waiter. Our experience with our sommelier in Luminae and the sommelier in Tuscan has been amazing. I hope he was just having a bad night.

In all of my times eating in Murano the Maitri D has always gone around to the tables and checked on the guests. They have also ALWAYS opened the door for you upon exiting the restaurant and we’re very gracious when you left after dinner. None of this happened.

While we’ve eaten in Murano dozens of times many people do not. They go for a special evening and an incredible experience. This is the draw of Murano. This needs to be consistent across the board regardless of your cabin type or what kind of wine you order.

So that is the end of my rant. Thank you for letting me vent. I will mention this to our staff in Luminae just so they can hopefully improve. Again this could be a simple one off but it should be noted either way.

On the other end of the spectrum our food was fantastic. We started with the cheese plate and I had the salmon and crab parfait which my favorite. Edward had the lobster bisque. Then we had the steak Diane. The steak was cooked absolutely perfect, truly perfect. And the sauce was amazing. Plus it is always fun to watch them do this table side.

cb7a5a4e66d8de985b2aeceab47a8c18.jpg

d455fb3791bbb9fe8fe360d8983dbd8e.jpg

1543a79faffe1d0a2759d109d3c1b1e2.jpg

747bb2d27686f48241abdc5c2fe01383.jpg

Paul please re post only one page visible in the PC in the iPhone idem other pictures only the icon visible

Thanks in advance

Gerardo

No problem. Hopefully this works. Slightly smaller file size but might help it load better.

00d8ae39a3b7970080de92e8295930b4.jpg

b2cfa57deb1ccb27d6b8298c670ecf3a.jpg

82801cf1929544b23af36642f1512a1b.jpg

150a47e42bcc450ef11478cc128fe8c5.jpg

The deck party last night was a lot of fun. It was very well attended by the guests and we saw lots of the staff watching it and having fun.

My apologies for some of the photos as the black lights made it interesting for taking photos.

0372c72757d19c16f346898a721b671e.jpg

be812acbe6388d7fbeb74d68a62641c8.jpg

f0c67eaa9083c37ee1e6dd0611d35132.jpg

8ff99011b996a031450311a3226fb5f3.jpg

Surprised to hear about the service you received in Murano, but I think you have the right to rant. I've always received the level of service that you are accustomed to as well, and would be a little irritated if the same happened to my dining experience. Hope it was just an off night for the staff.

Loving your review. Thanks again for taking the time to share.:)

Great posts,Paul !

The beautiful colors of the buildings in Curaçao, the wild lighting at the pool party last night ...it all brings the cruise to life !

As for your “rant”, you are such a great reviewer, usually enthusiastic, always fair, that any complaint you have must bear weight with your readers and with Celebrity’s staff.

I posted a few questions for you yesterday....not sure if you saw them.....no worries.

Keep having fun !

Margaret

Surprised to hear about the service you received in Murano, but I think you have the right to rant. I've always received the level of service that you are accustomed to as well, and would be a little irritated if the same happened to my dining experience. Hope it was just an off night for the staff.

Loving your review. Thanks again for taking the time to share.:)

Thanks for commenting!! Hopefully it was just an off night.

Last night our dinner was in Murano. We had this booked specifically for the steak Diane. As long as you give them a days notice it can be arranged for you and is absolutely delicious. Our waiter told us that it was on the very original menu but pulled off and is now used as a “secret” item.

Overall I was a little disappointed in my Murano experience last night. We’ve eaten in Murano around 25 times in our sails with Celebrity and I’ve always felt from a service aspect that Murano rivaled the best of the best restaurants. Last night it felt like I was in any half way decent restaurant. Our waiter was good (and cooked a great steak Diane) but service elsewhere seemed lacking. For example we ordered a white wine to start (Sancerre on the by the glass menu which they’re out of but had a similar substitute). At the same time told our waiter we wanted two glasses of the Freemark Abbey Cabernet with our steak. Our sommelier didn’t know about this but more importantly he didn’t seem to care. When the steak was about to arrive we were informed they were out of the freemark abbey and offered Decoy or Kendall Jackson. Neither of which are comparable substitutes. Just as a point of reference the freemark is an additional $8 per glass over premium. So clearly we didn’t care about price. When I pushed the sommelier for a better option he just kind of stood there. Edward then made a comment about a wine Victor (sommelier from Luminae) gave us and the sommeliers attitude changed. He brought out an excellent blend that had beautiful flavor. I know this may sound like a petty complaint but it was irritating that he couldn’t show some enthusiasm about his job from the start. The purpose of the sommelier is to be there to help you have a wonderful wine. If they’re not going to do that then they are just a beverage waiter. Our experience with our sommelier in Luminae and the sommelier in Tuscan has been amazing. I hope he was just having a bad night.

In all of my times eating in Murano the Maitri D has always gone around to the tables and checked on the guests. They have also ALWAYS opened the door for you upon exiting the restaurant and we’re very gracious when you left after dinner. None of this happened.

While we’ve eaten in Murano dozens of times many people do not. They go for a special evening and an incredible experience. This is the draw of Murano. This needs to be consistent across the board regardless of your cabin type or what kind of wine you order.

So that is the end of my rant. Thank you for letting me vent. I will mention this to our staff in Luminae just so they can hopefully improve. Again this could be a simple one off but it should be noted either way.

On the other end of the spectrum our food was fantastic. We started with the cheese plate and I had the salmon and crab parfait which my favorite. Edward had the lobster bisque. Then we had the steak Diane. The steak was cooked absolutely perfect, truly perfect. And the sauce was amazing. Plus it is always fun to watch them do this table side.

cb7a5a4e66d8de985b2aeceab47a8c18.jpg

d455fb3791bbb9fe8fe360d8983dbd8e.jpg

1543a79faffe1d0a2759d109d3c1b1e2.jpg

747bb2d27686f48241abdc5c2fe01383.jpg

I booked a specialty dining 5 pack for our upcoming cruise..my intention is to arrange with the concierge, once on board, for all those meals to be at Murano on sea days ..

I mainly want to do this cause we have never been in Murano and have dined at Tuscan & Qzine on several occasions.. also there were several different entries on the Murano menu that I wanna try..

Based on your overall experience would you suggest I consider otherwise ?02d4da039b160a544bfc5c9ceec025af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here are the menus from Sky. Please pardon the shadows. I’ll clean them up later and have them available for download but at least you can read them quickly. If any do not download just let me know.

2fd0eebe7e976d9f800f7a73ae1059b4.jpg

3810bb7c597f4d5c44eb04a6cb242318.jpg

179a36c5d378a95132e8cebd346f9bfb.jpg

fee459388ac04dca24d04babccab7fe5.jpg

398ae92ea9fbc56e0546e0a2d38279f1.jpg

5fc012047bc7a746e46e97436fafe5e4.jpg

I booked a specialty dining 5 pack for our upcoming cruise..my intention is to arrange with the concierge, once on board, for all those meals to be at Murano on sea days ..

I mainly want to do this cause we have never been in Murano and have dined at Tuscan & Qzine on several occasions.. also there were several different entries on the Murano menu that I wanna try..

Based on your overall experience would you suggest I consider otherwise ?02d4da039b160a544bfc5c9ceec025af.jpg

No don’t reconsider at all. It was just an off night I think but either way I’ll comment to the proper people on board so it’s noted. Our food was fantastic and our waiter was pretty good. Just seems like a few things were off but the restaurant was very crowded that night so people were enjoying it. In total of our 20+ Murano dinners they’ve been amazing. You’ll enjoy it.

No don’t reconsider at all. It was just an off night I think but either way I’ll comment to the proper people on board so it’s noted. Our food was fantastic and our waiter was pretty good. Just seems like a few things were off but the restaurant was very crowded that night so people were enjoying it. In total of our 20+ Murano dinners they’ve been amazing. You’ll enjoy it.

Thanks so much for all your wonderful feedback..

If you got the Murano menu from last night could you post it?

It's one of the thing I always admire about your blog/review Paul, the honesty of them, and you stay pretty factual with your reporting and looking at the larger scope rather than just the moment.

Been fortunate enough to eat in Murano a number of times myself, and had a few that weren't over the top great, and I agree they should be great. It just sounds like a night of somewhat sloppy service. I have a tendency to give them a pass if its been a long series of sea days, but I know in your case its been a pretty textbook cruise for them with not a lot of extended sea time.

Like you mentioned, I would pass the info on to F&B manager, and HD, and your post cruise comments, and hopefully they learn from it.

Have loved following the voyage with you. Looking at booking the Edge today for the November 2019 TA, and looking forward to sailing with you both in April 2018.

We were considering the same for January...

The reason I ask...last month on Princess we were approached shortly after boarding and offered 3 specialty dinners for $70. Wow, what a difference on Celebrity. BTW, all of those dinners were wonderful, one in each restaurant.

Would anyone know if Celebrity makes a 1st day offer on board for specialty dining?

Thanks..........

It's one of the thing I always admire about your blog/review Paul, the honesty of them, and you stay pretty factual with your reporting and looking at the larger scope rather than just the moment.

Been fortunate enough to eat in Murano a number of times myself, and had a few that weren't over the top great, and I agree they should be great. It just sounds like a night of somewhat sloppy service. I have a tendency to give them a pass if its been a long series of sea days, but I know in your case its been a pretty textbook cruise for them with not a lot of extended sea time.

Like you mentioned, I would pass the info on to F&B manager, and HD, and your post cruise comments, and hopefully they learn from it.

Have loved following the voyage with you. Looking at booking the Edge today for the November 2019 TA, and looking forward to sailing with you both in April 2018.

Thanks for the wonderful feedback and comments Johnny. Looking forward to sailing with you in a little over 4 months!

Will the Ensemble bar make other cocktails besides those shown on the menu,please? Looks awfully limited.

Yes they will! That’s just their special list. You’ll have no problem getting regular cocktails there. They have a full bar and also a very large scotch selection.

We were considering the same for January...

The reason I ask...last month on Princess we were approached shortly after boarding and offered 3 specialty dinners for $70. Wow, what a difference on Celebrity. BTW, all of those dinners were wonderful, one in each restaurant.

Would anyone know if Celebrity makes a 1st day offer on board for specialty dining?

Thanks..........

I haven’t paid too much attention this cruise but in the past I’ve noticed they do sell discounts on the first night but it’s of course never a guarantee. I spoke to some on these cruise saying that they were offering Tuscan and Qsine for $20pp on some nights.

I’m sorry I didn’t take a photo of the Murano menu last night. It is the same as before though. No changes at all that I noticed. I’ll find the old photo from my equinox in August and post them. Here is the wine list by the glass in Murano.

5ecfa2623ed5d5eca6fe0dc46ca8df68.jpg

Paul - thank you so much for posting the drink menus - very helpful!!!

I'm sorry to hear about the experience in Murano - we too as another poster purchased a dining package and had planned to eat most of the meals there and 1 in Tuscan. May reconsider now. Also the comment on $20 pp for the specialty dining - that sounds like a great deal!

Well I finally used the hot tub on the balcony! Or shall I call it bath tub. I figured it out myself. Pretty easy to use even after a few drinks.

We are leaving Curaçao right now and heading to Aruba. Ugh it’s nearing the end!! Oh well, we will make the best of the last few days.

Trying to upload some photos right now but having a little difficulty. Hopefully it will work better later.

Thank you again for following along.