Amount for credit card

nfldpenguin

It can vary. It seems to be very unpredictable.

On some cruises, I have had a couple of larger preauthorisations, on others they have topped up almost every time I spend something.

I don't think I've ever had an authorisation to more than a couple of hundred dollars more than I have spent to date.

Please clarify if you are talking about a credit card, or debit card. Bid difference.

As to credit card, it is only a temporary charge. So, unless you have a low credit line, it should not be any issue. No actual charge until you leave.

Please clarify if you are talking about a credit card, or debit card. Bid difference.

As to credit card, it is only a temporary charge. So, unless you have a low credit line, it should not be any issue. No actual charge until you leave.

They said "credit card" in both the thread title and the first sentence of their post.

In any event our experience has consistently been a preauthorization of $300 for a couple on a one week cruise.

. ...

our experience has consistently been a preauthorization of $300 for a couple on a one week cruise.

That has been our experience as well.

In fact, on our last two transatlantics of 12 days and 14 days the hold was also only $300 for the two of us.

They said "credit card" in both the thread title and the first sentence of their post....

Yes, I did see that, but some people use the term Credit Card interchangeably with Debit cards. The fact that "budget" was also in their post which is rarely an issue with a credit card.

Yes, I did see that, but some people use the term Credit Card interchangeably with Debit cards. The fact that "budget" was also in their post which is rarely an issue with a credit card.

I haven't noticed people here confusing debit cards with credit cards anytime recently. Perhaps the reference to a budget suggests they don't have a large line of credit available on their credit card. I don't really care, but I'm going to assume that someone who says "credit card" twice means "credit card".

Yes to clarify it is a credit card not a debit card (as said in the title and post). You are fortunate to have no concerns about your limit. However don’t assume that’s the case for everyone. We have a large family and we worked hard to pay for this vacation. Yes we have a budget and are planned ahead to stay within it. Thanks for the responses. Seems like $300 for a couple is the standard.

I apologize for my remarks about debit.

And sorry if I did not realize your credit card had a limit that might impact the "temporary hold".

I do understand how many folks have a limited budget for the cost of the cruise. With budget in mind, I assume you realize the DSC that is charged each day. That is a real charge that impacts the budget. The hold of course is not a real expense.

Just keep in mind that you really want to have more than the pre-auth available. It really will come down to how much you plan to spend onboard. They can pre-auth $300 but once you start to rack up a couple hundred on charges (daily gratuity, or any other onboard spending) they will add on another hold. So say you spend a total of $200 onboard. They may do the $300 hold, as you approach it they could do another hold, may now be up to $500-$600 in holds. Then When you depart they charge your actual $200 balance; but there may be a period of time before the holds drop off. So you could potentially charge $200 onboard and end up tying up $700 of your limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd use cash for the cruise onboard account and leave your credit card for any purchases you want to make pre-cruise, ports of call and post-cruise. That is what we did when we cruise in 2015, as I prepaid our DSC, so I only had to put down $300 for my husband and I. I came home with a refund of almost half the cash we put down.

Yes to clarify it is a credit card not a debit card (as said in the title and post). �� You are fortunate to have no concerns about your limit. However don’t assume that’s the case for everyone. We have a large family and we worked hard to pay for this vacation. Yes we have a budget and are planned ahead to stay within it. Thanks for the responses. Seems like $300 for a couple is the standard.

There is an initial preauthorization. As you incur onboard charges (e.g., daily service charges), they run additional authorizations. At the end of the cruise, they run a total charge to your card. Most banks will not clear the small authorizations with the final charge. So, you end up with 2 times your charges against your credit line until your bank (not NCL) drops off the authorizations in a few weeks.

The way to avoid tying up your credit line is to pre pay as much as possible before the cruise. Daily service charges, excursions, specialty dining plans, paid shows, etc.