Hotels in Miami Beach - National, Hampton Inn or other?

jasper15

We (2 couples) are coming from Australia to cruise on Allure out of Fort Lauderdale in June. We will be in Miami for 2 days prior to cruise and earlier this year, people on this site recommended we stay in Miami or South Beach rather than Fort lauderdale.

After too much research (and still not really understanding the area), I'm now looking at National Hotel and Hampton Inn Miami. I was going to book the National Hotel but my friend (who reads EVERY review) says it has too many bad reviews. Funnily enough, the only reviews I've read have been good.

My question, Can anyone recommend either of these hotels or give me something else worth looking at? We like the beach, restaurants and bars but don't stay out late at night so want something just away from the night scene. I am happy to pay $300-$350 although my friends would like to pay less.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

I can't speak to the Hampton Inn but our son got married at the National Hotel last November. The location (on the beach and a half block to Lincoln Road Mall) is great as are the pools and we (75 people) found the food, drink and service wonderful. The hotel has been renovated in the last few years and the art deco lobby is stunning but be prepared for small rooms (which seem not unusual for the era of the hotel).

To clarify, I am talking about the Hampton Inn Miami South Beach on 17th Street. I have searched these threads but when I put in Hampton Inn Miami, it comes up with Mary Bricknell and that is not the area that we are looking at.

Thanks capriccio for letting me know about the rooms at the National. My friend will definitely not pay that sort of money for a small room. Everything else sounds good about it.

...and still not really understanding the area),

Pull up Google maps and you will see that Miami and Miami Beach are two separate cities. Downtown Miami is where the Miami cruise port is located. Miami Beach, including the famous southern part of the city ("South Beach") is where the beach is. Fort Lauderdale is located about a 30+ minute drive to the north, and where your cruise will leave from (Port Everglades).

June should be a relatively cheaper month (compared to Jan/Feb/Mar) and you should be able to find good rooms for under $300 Use the map feature when you search for hotels on trip advisor

Have a great cruise! :cool:

Thanks capriccio for letting me know about the rooms at the National. My friend will definitely not pay that sort of money for a small room. Everything else sounds good about it.

The rooms in the original building are small but the cabana rooms in a separate building overlooking the long pool are much larger. That's where the bride and groom stayed and it was a suite with a bedroom and sitting room plus 1 1/2 or 2 bathrooms (if I remember correctly).

I can't speak to the Hampton Inn but our son got married at the National Hotel last November. The location (on the beach and a half block to Lincoln Road Mall) is great as are the pools and we (75 people) found the food, drink and service wonderful. The hotel has been renovated in the last few years and the art deco lobby is stunning but be prepared for small rooms (which seem not unusual for the era of the hotel).

LOVE the National Hotel! Fantastic hotel and fantastic location!

Just a heads up, unless you are spending super big bucks, in excess of $700 a night, your room will be small unless you book in a newer built hotel like the Loews. Most hotels in South Beach were built in the 1920s-1950s.

LOVE the National Hotel! Fantastic hotel and fantastic location!

Just a heads up, unless you are spending super big bucks, in excess of $700 a night, your room will be small unless you book in a newer built hotel like the Loews. Most hotels in South Beach were built in the 1920s-1950s.

Hi Blue Herons, do you know anything about the Hampton Inn that I mentioned? It's really hard trying to book something from the other side of the world without knowing the area! I have looked at Google Maps but I always wonder if I'm missing something that I should be aware of....

Hi Blue Herons, do you know anything about the Hampton Inn that I mentioned? It's really hard trying to book something from the other side of the world without knowing the area! I have looked at Google Maps but I always wonder if I'm missing something that I should be aware of....

It's in a good location but it is across the street from the beach where the National is directly ocean front.

Honestly, I'd book the National over the Hampton in all day long. As far as the small rooms, how much time are you spending in the room?

Hotels like The National offer enough sophisticated amenities that you really don't notice the room size.

Honestly, if you pick the Hampton when you see the location compared to the National, you will not be happy. The National is a resort.

It's in a good location but it is across the street from the beach where the National is directly ocean front.

Honestly, I'd book the National over the Hampton in all day long. As far as the small rooms, how much time are you spending in the room?

Hotels like The National offer enough sophisticated amenities that you really don't notice the room size.

Honestly, if you pick the Hampton when you see the location compared to the National, you will not be happy. The National is a resort.

I took your advice BlueHerons and I went ahead and booked The National. Thanks so much for your help :)