Upgrade/Upsell from Cove Balcony?

loanshark

Going on the Dream in November 2018... Currently booked in a Cove Balcony.

Just received an email from the Upsell Fairy / Troll offering the following:

$46 to upgrade to a regular balcony ($23 per person)

or

$136 to upgrade to Cloud 9 Spa Balcony ($68 per person)

Would you do either one of these? Why or why not?

I wouldn't upgrade to a regular balcony cabin... Cove's are awesome. I might consider the Spa Balcony only because its very close/just walk out to the outside decks...very convenient...and you dont have to deal with steps and elevators as often. Many positives of cove...such as being close to water and easy to get to when reboarding ship from port visits...Only real drawback is that its on Deck 2....so you have hike or need to deal with elevators quite frequently

Cloud 9 for sure, we stayed in the Cloud 9 last 2 B2B cruises and we are hooked. Since you have to be 18 to use the spa, there are no kids on decks 11 and 12. These were by far the quietest cabins we have ever stayed in. We were one flight of stairs from the Serenity area.

I've never seen an upgrade being offer for a cruise a year in advance. When did they start doing his ?

I just tried a mock booking for this cruise, and the coves for 2 people are already sold out even though it is almost a year in advance.... Most likely is the reason why they are sending me an upgrade offer this early.

I just got the same offer for $70 for the 4 of us. The upgrade is to Lido deck, which I'm afraid will be loud with all of the traffic. I'm going to decline.

We've done Lido before...Noise was never an issue. You are pretty sheltered as there are only small group of cabins at the front part of ship. Most of traffic was by elevators... Corridors quiet. Very convenient to open decks and the deck bar:D

Not to hijack but I’m sailing on Liberty in January and wonder if I will get an upsell notice. Is there any rhyme or reason or is it random?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it has more to do with how a well a cruise is selling and what type of cabins they think can be re-sold if someone jumps on the upgrade offer.

For what it's worth, this is the 3rd time in 13 cruises cruises that I have been offered one as follows:

Glory - Upgrade from Inside Guarantee to 4J for free (may not be considered an upgrade by some).

Liberty - Upgrade from 4J to Balcony (if I remember correctly, it was actually an upsell for $100 p/p or $200 total).

Dream - This cruise.... the aforementioned $46 from cove to regular balcony or $136 to spa balcony.

or

I would take the spa in a heartbeat!! We love the spa- the thermosuites and thalassotherapy pool are amazing- I would totally do it!!

We've done Lido before...Noise was never an issue. You are pretty sheltered as there are only small group of cabins at the front part of ship. Most of traffic was by elevators... Corridors quiet. Very convenient to open decks and the deck bar:D

I have done Lido balcony before as well, and agree it's convenient. If you book one far enough forward so that you are not one of the 3 or 4 cabins closest to the pool deck (where you hear the pool deck activities), and that you have cabins above and below yours (so you don't hear deck chair scraping), noise will not be an issue.

As far as this particular upgrade offer is concerned, I have never done a cove balcony, and it will also be my first time on a Dream / Vista class ship. On all other ships where we stayed in a balcony, we were able to look straight down and see water, as opposed to one of the decks, and I kind of like the fact that the cove balconies seem more private because of this.

If your cove is forward of the mid-ship elevators I would keep it.

If the spa balcony includes free spa access for two, I would consider it if it's on deck 11. The balconies on deck 12 aren't covered on the Breeze. Not sure about Magic or Dream.

I prefer coves over regular balconies.

I got one of those emails today too, and I don't cruise until September 2018. Original room was a deck 8 balcony, I was offered an upsale to a higher deck balcony for $22 total or to a deck 11 spa balcony for $108 total. I jumped on the spa balcony! I was pretty surprised to get one when I don't sail for 10 more months. The lower category balconies must be in super high demand.

If your cove is forward of the mid-ship elevators I would keep it.

If the spa balcony includes free spa access for two, I would consider it if it's on deck 11. The balconies on deck 12 aren't covered on the Breeze. Not sure about Magic or Dream.

I prefer coves over regular balconies.

Thanks for the info... I can't tell exactly, but the current cabin appears to be located either under the atrium area or the little rooms between the atrium and dining area.

or

Spa balcony for sure.