Diesel Exhaust Soot

We sailed on board Norwegian Sky on its 4-day Cuba cruise, departing Miami on 10/23/17. Our stateroom was # 8079, an aft balcony location with generally desirable view of the ship's stern.

However, the balcony could not be used at any time due to copious amounts of Diesel Exhaust Soot descending on us at that location. We took (daily) soot samples to Guest Relations employees who opened a Case History for us to refer to when communicating with NCL's Miami HQ after returning home. We filled-in an online form detailing the matter and a few weeks later received a check for $38.10.

We appealed on the basis of having paid an upcharge of many hundreds of dollars (compared to an ocean view stateroom), but NCL has not responded to our appeal or request to reconsider.

At this point we are thoroughly disappointed with NCL. It should be noted that staff on board were always courteous and understanding. Also, we have never on past cruises had any criticism of NCL's onboard service, cleanliness, quality of food, etc. All of this makes it even more difficult to understand the lack of fairness and the less than equitable treatment meted out by the employees at NCL's HQ. Their incomprehensible snub is destroying much goodwill.

On the vessel "Norwegian Sky," the soot also fell on us while the ship was in port. Could it be that combining commonly known science and principle-guided business practices will point to a reasonable and equitable solution?

The ethical thing would be for NCL to (a) disclose the above facts and to (b) charge no more for the affected aft balcony stateroom(s) than they charge for an ocean view stateroom. To be refunded $38.10 and to disregard appeals is simply an insult to one's intelligence.

Indeed, diesel engines produce sooty exhaust if there is either insufficient combustion and/or there is no requirement for anti-pollution equipment in the diesel's exhaust system. Chances are that certain cruise vessels suffer from inadequate tuning (excessively rich mixtures), bad maintenance practices, and lack of exhaust purification. When all three deviations from Best Available Technology combine, the passenger is at a distinct disadvantage. At that point, soot wins and lungs are the losers.

I would like to make my experience known to others. Many will value hearing about it; they can then draw their own conclusions and opt to steer clear of the hazard. They can avoid aft balcony staterooms and/or stay away from cruise operators that are disinclined to treat their passengers fairly.

The amount of soot was too much for our cabin steward to remove from chairs, balcony floor, and main railing. In any case, he didn't offer it and I didn't request it. When a 1/8th-inch glob of greasy soot fell on my scalp on Day 2, my wife and I marched to Guest Services and showed them.

Regarding comments from satisfied passengers: I can readily accept that others had no problem with aft balconies on "Norwegian Sky." As car owners and, in my case, as mechanical engineers, we explain events versus non-events by simply noting that maintenance issues are--in large part--progressive issues. Chances are that I was one of the unlucky ones who experienced an unacceptable issue in person. Suffice it to say that I showed the physical evidence to five on-board employees, including the Assistant Executive Housekeeper and the person in charge of housekeeping for Deck No. 8. The end result was a check for $38.10 and that's uncalled for.

On the first occurrence (on the evening departing from Miami), the cabin steward asked for my soiled clothing and had it cleaned at no expense to me. The on-board folks were not at fault.

Regarding photos of the soot samples I saved: I would be very pleased to hand the actual samples over to a fair-minded representative of NCL, but see no benefit in sending photos back and forth. These tend to be debated as to magnification, resolution, etc.

Time is precious and I respectfully regret having to give this seemingly negative reply.

The amount of soot was too much for our cabin steward to remove from chairs, balcony floor, and main railing. In any case, he didn't offer it and I didn't request it. When a 1/8th-inch glob of greasy soot fell on my scalp on Day 2, my wife and I marched to Guest Services and showed them.

Regarding comments from satisfied passengers: I can readily accept that others had no problem with aft balconies on "Norwegian Sky." As car owners and, in my case, as mechanical engineers, we explain events versus non-events by simply noting that maintenance issues are--in large part--progressive issues. Chances are that I was one of the unlucky ones who experienced an unacceptable issue in person. Suffice it to say that I showed the physical evidence to five on-board employees, including the Assistant Executive Housekeeper and the person in charge of housekeeping for Deck No. 8. The end result was a check for $38.10 and that's uncalled for.

On the first occurrence (on the evening departing from Miami), the cabin steward asked for my soiled clothing and had it cleaned at no expense to me. The on-board folks were not at fault.

Regarding photos of the soot samples I saved: I would be very pleased to hand the actual samples over to a fair-minded representative of NCL, but see no benefit in sending photos back and forth. These tend to be debated as to magnification, resolution, etc.

Time is precious and I respectfully regret having to give this seemingly negative reply.

Expert level response at avoiding being put on trial here. (y) (y)

• 7 months later...

Well, I just wanted to say thanks for posting this because I was considering an aft cabin on Sky, but no longer!!! No way would it be enjoyable if I thought I was inhaling diesel exhaust! If I am at sea with a balcony in decent weather, I want to have it open and enjoy the clean air at sea, not end up breathing more pollution than if I stayed home and sat on a highway in a traffic jam. This respiratory risk is a different issue from cleaning soot off the chairs or not leaving a towel or suit there to dry. Too bad the OP could not have taken some air samples! I agree that NCL should provide a health warning to anyone booking these cabins.

I post here not to argue with the OP who appears to have a legitimate (and poorly addressed) grievance but only to share a calibration.

Sky is one of the oldest ships in the fleet I suspect and may not benefit from newer technology and newer engines. She is ~23 years old, the Jewels maybe ~13 years old and megaships newer than that. It's been years since I was on Sky.

So I wouldn't damn all aft cabins if you're coming to this thread to research them.

I have been on various Jewels over the last decade and in Aft cabins multiple times. Yes there is soot, especially on sea days but on those ships at least it was entirely manageable by a quick wipe with a hand towel or such.

Aft cabins (especially Penthouses) are great places to be... but maybe not so much on Sky by the sound of it.

The Sky was inaugurated in 1999. The Spirit is the oldest in the fleet, inaugurated in 1998. As Europe is more stringent on emissions, I noted that most ships were quite clean at the stack while in port, however they were much dirtier once under way. The Spirit was no exception.

That being said, I did notice one of the largest stenches of diesel exhaust coming into Barcelona on a Monday morning on the Spirit this month. Perhaps it was after the ship turned around, but I believe it might have been from the port itself.