Not Happy with Hidden Fees on NCL

Fromdehood

I haven’t been on any lines except NCL but I hope to try RCCL, Carnivale, Princess and MSC eventually. For my upcoming January sailing, I priced out MSC and RCCL and Royal was significantly higher. NCL still has the best overall value from my research. The only Way to truly get deals, I find, is if you’re not picky about your dates.

One thing I didn’t like about NCL is when they added 18% on top of the room service fee. That’s a fee on a fee, essentially. For things like that, they should make it transparent. Same with the bottled water charge - it should be advertised as an all-in.

I think they should be mandated to show all-in charges for things like the UBP but STATE how much of that was “gratuities, taxes, fees, etc”.

Also, to save some money, I’m going to remove my daily DSC at the beginning of my next cruise. I will allocate any tips in cash, and only IF I feel they are warranted. As a customer, It is not my responsibility to pay someone else’s wages - I am not the business owner, I’m a customer.

So they charge more than $7.95 for room service? Is it 18% of $7.95?

An cruise offered a year later is NOT basically the same. There can be all sorts of influences on price.

I cruise multiple lines multiple times per year. Prices vary but none of th other lines are up 30% for me year over year . Just my experience. What cost me 2275 last year would cost me $2950 this year. Just relating my own experience yours may vary, no need to jump down my throat for posting

As a customer, It is not my responsibility to pay someone else’s wages - I am not the business owner, I’m a customer.

Where do you think that the owner gets the money to pay the employee? If NCL completely eliminated the DSC then raised the cruise fare by $100pp (vs. $97.93pp currently for most non-suites), most people wouldn't even notice.

I have not seen anyone charged 18% on the $7.95 room service fee but I'm not charged that so I have no first hand experience.

Next year they are going to start selling bagged air on board and I bet a bunch of people will fall for it just like they do for bottled water.

Maniacal,

Don’t forget the added tip, grat, service charge or whatever everybody wants to name it on top of the bagged air.

Yup, exactly. Ridiculous. I don’t mind paying it, but they should make that charge an all-in. Really. I felt that was the only true “hidden” fee that i paid.

Mark,

On your point about not paying someone else’s wages, it’s the owner job not yours as a customer??

Ever go to a grocery store and purchase any of their products?? The store purchases products from a wholesaler, marks them up(profit), you purchase product, owner pays employees, in essence you are paying the employee. IMHO.

I might be wrong but I think that’s how it works for most business’s.

Mark,

On your point about not paying someone else’s wages, it’s the owner job not yours as a customer??

Ever go to a grocery store and purchase any of their products?? The store purchases products from a wholesaler, marks them up(profit), you purchase product, owner pays employees, in essence you are paying the employee. IMHO.

I might be wrong but I think that’s how it works for most business’s.

Ya but there’s a huge difference between that, and me paying staff directly.

On what you said, I pay the business and the business pays the staff. I don’t pay them directly, a customer. And I don’t think we should have to.

On what you said, I pay the business and the business pays the staff. I don’t pay them directly, a customer. And I don’t think we should have to.

You don't. You pay NCL. If you choose to tip above that, that's totally up to you. Which would you rather have:

Option 1 - Lower per-person fee for the cruise. They add a small fee to cover labor for services used (i.e. gratuity at the bar, room service delivery fee, etc). Those who use the discretionary services pay to cover the labor.

Option 2 - Higher per-person fee for the cruise. They average out their labor costs for additional services (room service, bartenders, etc). Everyone pays for a small portion of the discretionary services whether or not they use them.

Most people would chose option #1, which is exactly what NCL is doing. Even the DSC is refundable if you choose, you just receive it post-cruise.

Sorry

Not even trying to argue, but that is like saying it depend what the definition of “IS” is. I’m probably wrong but you don’t directly hand them money or do you. I do and that is my choice.

You don't. You pay NCL. If you choose to tip above that, that's totally up to you. Which would you rather have:

Option 1 - Lower per-person fee for the cruise. They add a small fee to cover labor for services used (i.e. gratuity at the bar, room service delivery fee, etc). Those who use the discretionary services pay to cover the labor.

Option 2 - Higher per-person fee for the cruise. They average out their labor costs for additional services (room service, bartenders, etc). Everyone pays for a small portion of the discretionary services whether or not they use them.

Most people would chose option #1, which is exactly what NCL is doing. Even the DSC is refundable if you choose, you just receive it post-cruise.

I just returned from a cruise on NCL, and when a problem couldn't be corrected, I removed part of the DSC onboard. No forms or explanation was needed.

I also learned that the crew did not have to turn in cash tips.

I would choose option 2... spread it out among everyone for the benefit of the workers... I’m from Canada.

I just returned from a cruise on NCL, and when a problem couldn't be corrected, I removed part of the DSC onboard. No forms or explanation was needed.

I also learned that the crew did not have to turn in cash tips.

Swedish,

That’s looks like a great way to handle a situation.

On your last comment that explains a lot. I usually find a good and attentive bar tip then $20 right from the start of my cruise. The results always sets everybody waiting. Beacuae if they see me approaching from a distance my beverages are waiting by the time I get there.

I would choose option 2... spread it out among everyone for the benefit of the workers... I’m from Canada.

The workers earn the same regardless - NCL would just figure out their average cost per sailing, divide by the average number of people sailing per year, and add that number to each person’s fare. The lower fare rooms would see a higher percentage increase compared to Haven suites. Zero additional monies to the workers.

Then people who use fewer services will complain that they are paying for something that they don't use.

If (for example) room service was complimentary, some guests would get room service everyday while some other guests would never use room service. The people who don't use room service would complain that they are paying for someone else's service.

The same is true for the go-carts on Bliss. If they are complimentary, those who don't/can't drive them will complain.

There's no system that would make everyone happy.

Seeing the limit is $15 per drink that is a minimum of 11+ drinks per day. If one drinks that much they have bigger problems than a limit imposed by NCL. BTW NCL does not have boats, they have ships!

Exactly, wanting to drink more than $170/Day indicates other problems. The limit would curtail people ordering drinks for other who do not have said package.

I agree, as I would rather pay for what I use and not things I don't care about.

I also prefer to pay for what I get. Suppose they gave everyone a "free" t-shirt but upped the cruise $15? It would be a wash for me for I buy one anyway, but all kinds of people would be angry about paying for their "free" t-shirts.

There is really no difference. You are paying the same either way. The whole DSC is merely an accounting issue. In your choices you wither pay $500 cruise fare and $100 DSC or you pay $600 cruise fare. Bottom line is that you pay $600 either way and how NCL breaks it down for accounting purposes is totally irrelevant.

For DSC you're correct, which is why I didn't mention it. For the 18% for bartenders, additional charges for room service, etc that is not the case. Currently you get charged if you use the extra services and you don't get charged if you don't use it. The argument was being made that they would rather do away with gratuities on those services and everyone pay a little extra to cover the costs.

Then only way the 18% service charge will become part of a package price is if the governments step in to legislate how they are advertised like they did with taxes and fees up here in Canada.

Yes..more legislation please! This is what my government should be doing. ;p

Does NCL hide (conceal) some of their fees? Sure. They like to play hide and seek with fees. On their front page they give the impression there are five free offers. Are they really free? You're not going to find out on the front page advertising the free offers. They're hidden.

Free Open Bar? Seek and see if you can find a fee for the "free" open bar. Free Specialty Dining? Seek the fee. Free Shore Excursions. Seek the fee. Free WiFi? Seek the fee. Maybe there's a fee; maybe not. Frequent NCL cruisers know where to find if there are any fees. Just do a mock booking or read the 6500 word Promotional Terms and Conditions. 1st timers don't generally find the fee(s) until they have mentally committed to cruising with NCL and have begun the booking process. And then NCL informs them the Free Open Bar costs close to $250 for 2 people. Boom, you found the hidden fee!

Obviously this is done by design. The cruise lines, hotels and airlines make it almost impossible to compare prices across brands unless you do much research.

That's why I love Southwest Airlines. No BS.

Southwest. Loved the $15 x 2 fee I recently paid for check in so I did not have to stand in line like a sardine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums