I got a survey from HAL On Leisure Dining

Tinknock50

I got the survey too, here's what it said:

Holland America Line is testing a new dining concept called Leisure Dining Service.

The intent of this new service is to offer our guests more accommodating dining times within a flexible structure. As you may recall, Leisure Dining Service allows you to visit the dining room anytime within a certain timeframe.

For example, if you were confirmed for either the 5:45pm or 6:15pm dinner seating, you could come to the dining room at anytime between 5:30pm and 6:00pm (arriving no later than 6:00pm). If you were confirmed for either the 8:00pm or 8:30pm dinner seating, you could come to the dining room at anytime between 7:45pm and 9:00pm. The table initially reserved for you (as indicated on your Guest Identification Card) was to be your table no matter when you chose to dine during these times.

Please answer these few short questions:

1. Have you cruised with Holland America Line before your most recent cruise on the ms Oosterdam?

Yes

No

2. How many out of the 7 cruise nights did you eat dinner in the Main (Vista) Dining Room?

3. At the start of your cruise, were you confirmed for the first dinner seating time

(5:45/6:15pm) or the second dinner seating time (8:00/8:30pm) in the main dining room?

First dinner seating (5:45/6:15pm)

Second dinner seating (8:00/8:30pm)

4. Was your assigned table on the upper or lower level of the dining room?

Upper level

Lower level

5. Did you feel you were sufficiently informed of the Leisure Dining Service option during the cruise?

Yes

No

6. Did your dinner tablemates generally arrive at the same time, or at different times during the flexible schedule offered under the Leisure Dining Service?

Same time

Different times

a. If at different times, was that a problem?

Yes

No

b. If yes, why?

7. Overall, do you prefer the Leisure Dining Service and its flexible structure, or do you prefer traditional set dinner seating times?

Leisure Dining Service (flexible structure)

Traditional Dining Service (set seating times)

a.Why?

8. Would you like to see Holland America offer Leisure Dining Service on all of its cruises?

Yes

No

a.Why?

Thanks for posting this e-mail.

It tell us a lot about HAL management thse days.

Pincus

You really have to know your tablemates well in order to convence them to arrive at a certain time so that everyone can eat together. When you have been assigned to a tbale with strangers some may not like the idea that they have to be exactly on time - especially if some of them have stopped at a bar to have a pre-dinner cocktail.

Oh , I don't think you would have to know them well...just hitting it off with them is enough.

Unless you are saying there really is a strong desire amoung the vast majority of passengers for Leisure Dining and flexible times.

I thought HAL already offered a "Leisure Dining" Option. It's call the Lido. That seems to already deliver a lot of what has been described as the convenience that the "Leisure Dining" claims.

The food is as good, you can arrive when you want... so why move away from the formal dining in the dining room?

We are sailing on Princess in February. We booked late so we are waitlisted for early seating. If we don't get that, we automatically are put into their version of "Leisure Dining". We may get a taste of his whether we want to or not.

I would much prefer the scheduled dining in the dining room like we have done for years.

If HAL chooses to go this route they should reserve a particular space for this option. Pax should have the option to choose at booking which type of service they prefer.....

GN

I agree GN. That would be the best scenario. And since the Lower Level is larger that should be Leisure Dining and the upper Traditional.

This is what I basically suggested on my comment card.

KrazyKruisers,

The chimes need to be tweaked out of the new system that's for sure.

If HAL decides to implement this---and isn't careful---they could end up back at the old two sittings!

I can see it now: the 5:30-6:00 group all agrees on the same time---then the 7:45-9:00 group does the same!

I can dream, can't I. :D

Sean, I tend to agree with KK. I understand your point totally, but these are often people we're meeting for the first time. We've all adjusted to the 8:00 because that's the time we chose (some might want 7:30, some 7:45, etc.). But if we are then told we can decide anywhere between 7:45 and 9:00, it does put a group of people who have never known each other in the position of having to compromise with each other ... something that can be difficult to do even with those we know;) .

We shall see what happens. It's silly to debate since they'll do whatever they want in the end anyway and we'll either adjust to it or choose another cruiseline. Most of us will have nothing to say about it.

I agree with elmorejj and KAKcruisers that Hal has already made up their minds and are going to do it.

Tinknock50 I cannot agreee.

They would not just make a big splashy announcement. They pulled the same thing with the 4 dining times.

They don't really care about input, all they care about is making it work so they can say "HAL HAS LEISURE DINING."

Hal is really missing the boat. Instead of trying to be unique they are playing copy cat.

I still think the moron who came up with this should be shot.

I really feel sorry for the dining room staff who has to put up with this insanity.

We've all adjusted to the 8:00 because that's the time we chose (some might want 7:30, some 7:45, etc.). But if we are then told we can decide anywhere between 7:45 and 9:00, it does put a group of people who have never known each other in the position of having to compromise with each other ... something that can be difficult to do even with those we know;) .

We shall see what happens. It's silly to debate since they'll do whatever they want in the end anyway and we'll either adjust to it or choose another cruiseline. Most of us will have nothing to say about it.

ABSOLUTELY

Well, this has been an interesting discussion. And I haven't had to use too much burn dream. :)

I think when all is said and done, 98 % of the people who were worried about the changes will somehow manage to still enjoy their Dining experience and continue to cruise with HAL.

Some time and some cruising just has to pass with whatever is decided by HAL, and we will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Tinknock, I'm not disagreeing with you for everyone by any stretch, but I have to say that for me personally it will be a huge disappointment.

And to be honest, it will make the difference as to whether we cruise HAL again. I don't like leisure dining, freestyle dining, carefree dining, whatever they want to call it.

If HAL changes over completely, without the option to do traditional dining, we will not cruise on HAL again. We'll go back to Celebrity. That would be the deal breaker so to speak.

Let me say up front, we are booked on the Jan. 28 sailing of the Oosterdam so this affects us! I like traditional dining. We are confirmed for late seating and we request a large table.

That said, I just wish this had been started on another ship other than the one I was booked on. Or that this had all been decided before I made final payment. I just feel that I'm getting something I didn't bargain for. We didn't have to do this cruise, it's just the two of us. We could have gone anywhere on any line. If I had known this issue was going to rear its ugly head, I'd have booked something else.

Once the dust settled, then I could have chosen to take this ship (or cruise line) or not. But I would have been an informed consumer not a guinea pig. :(

44 days and counting.

That said, I just wish this had been started on another ship other than the one I was booked on.

Had they decided to test this new dining system on any of the S or R ships it would have failed. Why? The passengers tend to trend more toward Mariners on these ships; the Oosterdam, the Zuiderdam, and the Westerdam all tend to draw a much larger percentage of the passenger base from the new passenger pool ... people who are principle among those who have been whining that they want HAL to be like NCL.

Had they decided to test this new dining system on any of the S or R ships it would have failed. Why? The passengers tend to trend more toward Mariners on these ships; the Oosterdam, the Zuiderdam, and the Westerdam all tend to draw a much larger percentage of the passenger base from the new passenger pool ... people who are principle among those who have been whining that they want HAL to be like NCL.

Right, and the fact that Oosterdam is the only ship doing this particular itinerary. So they had somewhat of a captive audience. :(

I'll be waiting to hear from some of the people who are really affected by the change; not the couples who got their table for two, or the early diners. But people like us who normally would enjoy the company of a large table at late seating.

We, like so many others posting here, we have 300+++ 'Dam' ship cruise days behind us - all on the so called 'older ships'. For now, for various reasons,mainly medical, we have nothing booked. That will change very soon.

Sadly, reading posts these days encourages us to explore lines other than HAL.

What is going on? It's all very unsettling! By all means expand the passenger base - remember though - many of us long-timers truly appreciate traditional cruising........we're not dead yet - we can and are introducing our offspring to it's delights!

It's interesting to note that the alternate dining arrangements aren't always up to par even on those lines who feature such "anytime dining" regularly. This is from the new weekly supplement to Ocean and Cruise News:

PRINCESS CRUISES: A well-traveled good friend has just returned from a New York-Canada cruise on the 109,000-ton Golden Princess. He reported, "We felt let down. The ship was booked to capacity and almost overcrowded. The alternate dining system was overwhelmed, for example, and at key times. The alternate dining areas had lines that were simply too long. And the showrooms were full. It was difficult to find not just a good seat, but any seat. It was our 16th Princess cruise, but we found that there were just too many people. Otherwise, the food was excellent, the service good and, in our opinion, the standard dining room was still the best bet."

It's interesting to note that the alternate dining arrangements aren't always up to par even on those lines who feature such "anytime dining" regularly. This is from the new weekly supplement to Ocean and Cruise News:

PRINCESS CRUISES: A well-traveled good friend has just returned from a New York-Canada cruise on the 109,000-ton Golden Princess. He reported, "We felt let down. The ship was booked to capacity and almost overcrowded. The alternate dining system was overwhelmed, for example, and at key times. The alternate dining areas had lines that were simply too long. And the showrooms were full. It was difficult to find not just a good seat, but any seat. It was our 16th Princess cruise, but we found that there were just too many people. Otherwise, the food was excellent, the service good and, in our opinion, the standard dining room was still the best bet."

Is this not a strong endorsement for 'traditional' (a.k.a fixed) dining times?

The alternative would seem to be, 'a table for 2'!!!!!!

I agree with Tinknock50....it seems to me that the only way that HAL can make any kind of flexible dining work is to divide up the dining room into two levels....upper level being traditional dining with two seatings at 6:00pm and 8:00 or 8:15pm and the lower level being leisure dining from 6:00pm-9:00pm, or something to that effect. I assume that would be similar to the dining plans Princess has, although I haven't sailed Princess yet.

This bit about being assigned a table....which will always be your table no matter whether you arrive at 7:45 or 9:00 pm....is nuts. That would have to be a waiter's worst nightmare. He has a table of 8 people and 2 arrive at 7:45, 2 arrive at 8:00, 2 arrive at 8:15, and 2 arrive at 8:30. He would have people eating appetizers, soups/salads, entrees, and dessert at the same time. Or the alternative might be that sometime after 8:00, a few strangers are brought to the table and everyone has to start from scratch.

My guess is that HAL is counting on the passengers to do their dirty work for them....that is, all of the table participants agree on a set time to come to the dining room each night. That way HAL looks like it offers flexibility, but in reality the passengers have to compromise with each other to make it work. I don't want to sound negative about something I haven't tried, because I think there is some merit in having a time range available, but it seems like it is a contradictory concept with having the same table and the same dining companions.

Well, my husband and I recently booked the 2/9 Maasdam out of Norfolk and all that is available is the 8:30 seating. His Dr. told him a few years ago that he should eat early because of digestion issues and 8:30 is just not an option for him. I am really distressed that we will probably have to eat every night in the Lido instead of being able to enjoy the dining room...the dining room experience really makes the cruise, doesn't it? So for us (and probably a lot of seniors or others with various "digestion" issues), the possibility of having a late seating and being able to show up at 7:45 would be wonderful. Just another view.

Alex, when you get on the ship, see the Matre'd. Many change once on the ship.

Diane G

I just wish this had been started on another ship other than the one I was booked on. Or that this had all been decided before I made final payment. I just feel that I'm getting something I didn't bargain for. We didn't have to do this cruise, it's just the two of us. We could have gone anywhere on any line. If I had known this issue was going to rear its ugly head, I'd have booked something else.

Once the dust settled, then I could have chosen to take this ship (or cruise line) or not. But I would have been an informed consumer not a guinea pig. :(

If HAL has the "Leisure Dining" on your cruise, I do hope that you have this exact comment on your card. It sums it up nicely.

Ironically, this is actually proof offering both types of Dining works. Just reread the last line. Check the archives back to when there was only Traditional Dining. You will see many, many posts by unhappy people who did not get the dining time they wanted.....generally on overbooked ships.

Some went as far as saying it ruined their cruise for them.

The rest has more to do with a big , overbooked ship. There are many current and archive posts about show room problems too.

Ironically, this is actually proof offering both types of Dining works. Just reread the last line. Check the archives back to when there was only Traditional Dining. You will see many, many posts by unhappy people who did not get the dining time they wanted.....generally on overbooked ships.

Some went as far as saying it ruined their cruise for them.

The rest has more to do with a big , overbooked ship. There are many current and archive posts about show room problems too.

But who wants to stand in line? Even worse, get handed a beeper !

I have read many complaints on the Princess board about PC.

Do you need a beeper for traditional dining on Princess? Are there lines for traditional?

Of course you don't need a beeper or stand in line for traditional dining. I was referring to PC.

I am confused. :confused: Maybe I did not understand your post. Please explain.

Archived