Master Chef Dinner

Krazy Kruizers

I think it was either Peaches or Gizmo who said they had it on Veendam. They were at some other venue so they missed it.........maybe it was suite dinner??

I'm very much hoping they still have it on VODM when we return in January. We enjoyed it.

The Master Chef's dinner was held on the Volendam 11/15 10-day cruise. It included table favors (paper chef's hats for everyone)' a special menu as well as song and dance routines from the wait staff with each course.

The event was quite successful, and pleasant (IMO). The items on the menu for this sepcial night, however left something to be desired. Many of the passengers we talked with about the event complained about the menu items, but were very supportive of the idea.

Personally, I hope they tweek the menu, but keep the event.

We had the best Suite Dinner we ever attended on Veendam last January. Of the many we attended through the years, that one was really excellent.

It was Captain Schoonderbeek and Nick Burger was Hotel Manager. Maybe some of the Captains and Hotel Managers do it and some don't? I'm quite sure that no cruises that are ten days or less have it anymore but some cruises over ten days do.

Maybe some of the Captains and Hotel Managers do it and some don't? I'm quite sure that no cruises that are ten days or less have it anymore but some cruises over ten days do.

As far as I know the Statendam has never elminated them on 10 day or more cruises.

As far as I know the Statendam has never elminated them on 10 day or more cruises.

gizmo

Statendam had no ten day cruises since fall of 2004 and all of 2005...and maybe even before that.

She did 15-16 day Hawaii Cruises; a 30 day Hawaii/South Pacific; then 7 day Alaska cruises and back to 15-17 day Hawaii cruises. (There was one 4 day Pacific Coast.)

Has she left yet for Australia?

Sails,

When all the other ships elminated the suite dinners on 10 day cruises the Statendam was still having them.

The suite dinners were eliminated around 2003. KK did a couple of cruises in 2003 and reported it on this board. I was on the Statendam in Oct of 2003 and we had one. I remember KK being surprised.

gizmo

The one cruise we were surprised to find that there wasn't going to be a suite dinner was on our 16 day Orinoco Cruise on the Rotterdam. A lot of suite passengers were mad. That was when the Odyssey was changed over to the Pinnacle and Seattle didn't want to shut down the restaurant for one night because they didn't want to lose money.

As it turned out, many people didn't like the idea at that time about spending $20 for dinner when it used to be free and many evenings there would be only one or two couples there the entire time.

It took awhile before the Pinnacle caught on.

The menu is attractively designed and was placed along the edge of miniature toques at every place setting. Many passengers got into the spirit of the fun and wore their chef's toques during dinner.

The stewards were wearing white chef's jackets and I seem to remember had hats of some sort. They looked great and seem to really enjoy their jackets and their smiles were wonderful.

We were served a Chef's Amuse Surprise at Act 1 ---The Ballet Service.

It was wonderful fun and tastefully done. We were seated along the rail this cruise (which is the first time ever but chose this table so we would have a good view for the first time we would see "The Master Chef's Dinner"). The dancing is visible from all seats in the dining room and all enjoy it but those along the rail get to see both the upper and lower level.....No different than Baked Alaska Parade and Introduction of the Chef's. The whole dining room enjoys it but those on the rail see upper and lower levels.

There was a very cute dance choreography and the stewards absolutely had fun doing it. We all know what forced smiles and resistance look like. These stewards were into the fun of it and when the passengers showed their enjoyment, the stewards were clearly happy.

Before our salad, Act 2 ---The Swing Service was performed. Again, there was dancing between the tables and up and down the center staircase on both sides. Props were huge salad bowl and salad tongs etc and it was a very fun number. The dances didn't keep going on and on for too long---they were just long enough without going too far.

We had our entrees and then Act 3 was done before our dessert.

It was just enough 'entertainment'....not too much. Anymore would have been too much.

Our food came hot; our service was not unduly slowed because of the entertainment and the food was delicious.

There was no interruption between our salad, appetizer and entree courses so our meal flowed smoothly and we were served very promtly.

It was fun and lighheated and entertaining. I would not want it every night but I look forward to them doing it on one night in January.

It's a cruiseship; we're there to enjoy a fine dining room but what harm is there to have a little bit of fun and entertainment one night? We are not silly, frivolous, party animals and would be very unhappy on a ship that danced the electric slide in the dining room every night....that interrupted table service and private conversations to make noise and commotion. This did not happen during The Master Chef's Dinner. We're accustomed to dining in very excellent restaurants and know proper decorum. We were not offended at all with this. We had fun!!! Darn it all,,,,,we were on a ship, and we were happy, we were dining with a very good friend (who happens to be an Officer on the ship and his wife) and it was a great evening. We even posed for the photographer which we NEVER do in the dining room. We always say No,Thank You but we were having such a fun time we wanted the 'momento' of a picture to remember it by.

The menu:

Act 1

Chef's Amuse Surprise

Act 2

The Swing Service

Show Salad Spectacular: Ass't baby greens, pepper rings, mushroom, scallions, cherry tomatoes w/ a honey mustard dressing.

Starters:

Dialogue of Alaskan Salmon Tartare w/ Avocado: Cold smoked, pickled and chipotle hot smoked salmon w/ lime-avocado-tomato salad.

Golden Baked Brie in Phyllo Dough: Served w/ a cinnamon-spiced apple cranberry compote

Lobster Bisque: Sensuously smooth classical shellfish soup enhanced w/ aged French cognac and whipped cream.

Oxtail En Croute: Flavorful classical soup slow-simmered and served in a crisp pastry crust. (I had this and it was great----similar to what we have had for years at Suite Dinner)

Entrees:

Linguini w/ Seafood and Salmon: Regional bay scallops, clams, and mussels in a lightly whipped bouillabaisse cream sauce, topped with a grilled salmon medallion. (I Had this and really enjoyed it.)

Sauteed Shrimps Provencal: With garlic, tomato concasse, florets of crisp, tender broccoli and sticky rice.

Oven-Roasted Duck Breast a la 'Orange: The old-time favorite, oven roasted until crisp and served with a Grand Marnier sauce, braised red cabbage, pea pods, carrots julienne and William potato.

Whole Roast Tenderloin of Beef: On an earthy bed of calvados-spiked forest mushroom ragout, w/ sun-dried tomato risotto, fresh herbs, vegetable bundle and braised onion.

Vegetable Strudel: Summer vegetables and gouda cheese rolled in phyllo dough and baked until crisp and flaky. Served w/ a chive-mushroom sauce and golden rissole potatoes.

Act 3

The Final Service

Chef Rudi's Hats Off Dessert

or

Ice Cream and Sorbet Alternatives

CrusinJudy, As far as I remember there was no Master Chef dinner on the

Oct. 29th trip on the Veendam either.I just checked my programs and did not

see anything listed for the night of the Suite Dinner as Peaches said.

Gayle, I don't know if you brought your menus home or not, but I did. The one indicated on the bottom as Dinner 6 is clearly titled Master Chef's Dinner at the top. The food choices are exactly as S7S has described on the Volendam.

I have no idea what the entertainment in the dining room was that evening, if any, as we were at the Suite Dinner, which is why I asked previously for other pax on that cruise to describe what went on if anything. However, the menus that evening were definetely called the Master Chef's Dinner and Master Chef's Desserts. I have them right in front of me and that is all I said about its occurence on the Veendam.

Is the menu you reference printed on the long rectangle sheet as all other menus are?

The Master Chef's Dinner had a cutout design....it's about 10" side to side and about the same top to bottom but is not a solid sheet. I has a wooden cordscrew cutout, spatula and wooden spoon. This is very unlike any other menu we have ever seen presented on any HAL ship. It is creative and attractive and eye-catching. IMO

It is hard to imagine if you had the dancing etc on your cruise that (though you were not in the dining room that night) you would not have heard anything about it from any other passengers unless the only folks you spoke with were suite guests who were also not present.

I just looked at my menus from the Veendam and like Peaches said, day 6 had Master's Chef Dinner printed on the top. The menu items were the same as Sail's. There was no Act 1 etc. printed.

Since I wasn't there I don't know what the actual dining room menu looked like. The menus delivered to the cabin looked the same as all the others except for "Master's Chef Dinner" printed on top.

I have no idea what took place and like Peaches, hoped that someone would post if anything different happened in the dining room.

Archived