GSC Small Cabanas

Shayhooper

The cabanas are finally available for my Jan 13th Epic cruise. I was planning on reserving one and assumed that the price would be similar to the $200 I paid for a small one a Harvest Caye and was shocked to see they are $550. The large ones are $599.

Is that typically how they are priced?

On a slightly related note, is it hard to find loungers in the shade?

For the mega ships, those "current" prices are spot on, just like what we saw on the Breakaway last month - if you are sailing on the Gem or similar/smaller ships, it is priced lower. Not a good value, IMHO for 7 to 8 hours of use, even with the F&B credit voucher of $50 and 4 float mats included.

There are loungers near shady spots, if you get ashore early enough ... otherwise, rent one of the vented blue clam shell for 2, priced at $35 or $40 for the day (was $30 a year ago ... inflation) but they've paid for itself many, many times over :rolleyes:

Bring some bungee cords & clips, you can hang your bags or what not off the sand & keep them dry/sand-free ... maybe a colorful small flag (to fly on top) for easier spotting in a sea/beachfront full of clam shells.

We were on the Epic over Thanksgiving, rented a small cabana, and yes that was the cost. We 100% enjoyed it, and it seemed like the family next to us did too. I would definitely do it again, at least until the Haven area is completed. However, I like privacy, and am willing to pay whatever the cost for it.

When we were there, there were tons of loungers in the shade, with no one in them. It was under this vine looking structure. So shady it looked dark actually. So if it is only shade you are looking for, you should have no problem. Just keep walking out towards the cabanas and you will see the area to your right. The beach closest to where the ship was docked was packed. The area in front of the cabanas had barely anyone at all. However, it is a long walk to the buffet.

We were on the Escape in early November and paid $599. For us it was money well worth spent. There were 8 of us (including a toddler) and to have a spot that was just our own, to be spread out and kick back made GSC one of our favorite days. I don't even think I left the cabana! I popped myself on a lounger, had bar service delivered to me and my DS and his fiancé even delivered my lunch!!

But if you are a smaller group, it might not be worth it. For our size, I wouldn't do GSC any other way!