Single booking issues

Cbggk9mom

My agent had a class 3 balcony room on hold. Went to pay the deposit and the Royal agent stated that it is hard to put a single in a balcony room. I was then switched to a small interior cabin. As a single I was paying for two people in a balcony room and was good with that. However the comment that it is hard to put a single in a balcony was not ok. This was a trip I was doing with family. Called Royal and was told computer error etc and sorry but we restored what you had booked. I did not book as the comment was discriminating and offensive. It made me feel that as a single Royal felt that I did not deserve a nice room. This is not my first cruise or first cruise with Royal. It makes me wonder how I would be treated if I decided to go.

I would think you would be treated just like anyone, I don't see anything to be offended by here Why would they treat you differently? They don't care. Just relax a little bit, Way too many people getting easily offended now a days. Go on the cruise and have a drink or two. .Heck, I'd buy you the first one if I was there.

Dang, I should add as long as you are 21 or over. We all know how that could end up.

I have booked balcony for single several time. Always booked at RCCL web. Not used TA.

I believe that prices for single occupancy is far too high, but that’s a different topic. You get double cruise points and will certainly not be treated different. Go for the balcony (maybe connected next to each other’ - making the balcony wider. And find another TA for your next cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was more that the Royal agent changed my cabin to a small interior with the comment. It took over an hour on the phone with Royal and a lot of excuses to come back up with the same room and no reason why someone would have made a comment specific to single status. A better comment would be sorry a balcony is not available. Too much work to get what was initially booked.

Well, all I can say is enjoy not going on a cruise. My skin is thick. I couldn't care less about something like that. Someone tried to fix it and it wasn't good enough for you. Not much else they can do. I guess they could fire that demon of a call taker for ya... Sorry, I make light of this because I just see it as a non issue.

In San Juan next week aboard Freedom of the Seas. Only in Port from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. I've done both of the forts, a city tour and a walking tour of Old San Juan. I'm interested in doing a hop-on-hop-off bus tour. Does anyone have information on that? I'm not looking for the free trolley because I hear it's always full.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-J700M using Forums mobile app

I would not take it personal. The agent should have booked you in the balcony without additional comments. You won't be treated any differently onboard.

I slightly disagree. I've sailed solo all the time and noticed staff are constantly asking if it's just me. Telling me to bring friends. Occasionally I felt that you get slightly less attention than those in larger parties. It really depends. The crew is great but I hate it when they ask repeatedly.

The biggest plus side is that you can move freely and do what ever you want to do.

Sent from my SM-J700M using Forums mobile app

I travel solo. So my take of what the agent is trying to say is this. Not all balcony cabins are available for solo. Also the general fake sales ongoing does exclude solo. Gaurantee cabins are always open for 2 persons only and not solo. I have also come across prices which are higher for solo than 2 persons.

Costa booking engine here says minimum 2 persons.

Edited by SG007
Xxxxxxxxx

Perhaps it is hard to put a single in a balcony cabin. My travel agent struggled to get me a good rate that would allow single occupancy. It took her a while. She had to speak to people rather than just brooking online. It appears that they don’t create single rates for every fare in every cabin grade. So hard is probably true.

That does not explain why you would be downgraded to a small inside though.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I travel solo. So my take of what the agent is trying to say is this. Not all balcony cabins are available for solo. Also the general fake sales ongoing does exclude solo. Gaurantee cabins are always open for 2 persons only and not solo. I have also come across prices which are higher for solo than 2 persons.

Costa booking engine here says minimum 2 persons.

Agree 100%. Been a long time since I was able to book cabins as single balcony guarantee. Have happened but rare. Was more common when economy is bad or like right after 9/11. I'm on Serenade B2B right now & even though I'm traveling Solo was cheaper to book a second passenger on both. One was guarantee Balcony and other reg D1.

Never had a problem booking a single/solo cabin and I book a standard balcony. Sounds like your TA was the one with difficulties. Much easier to either book on line, or find out what you want by looking on line and then calling RC and booking directly with them. I think guarantee rooms, where no specific cabin is booked, are not always available to solo bookings; same way with some of the 4-person cabins; but there has always been a regular balcony available when I have called.

As far as on board, unless you tell the crew or other passengers, no one knows you are a solo. Dining staff may ask how many (no different than a land-based restaurant), but I have sailed with friends and family and often chose to have a meal solo, especially breakfast or lunch.