Celebrity Since 1989

renman22

My spousal unit (wife) and I cruise a good bit. We are elite level on 4 or 5 cruise lines with a preference toward Oceania, Azamara, Paul Gauguin, and Celebrity. I read cruise critic but seldom post because folks seem to take everything so personally and seriously. Having said this, I thought I would take a chance and share a few thoughts concerning our just completed 7 day on the Equinox in specific and Celebrity in general.

My first cruise with Celebrity was in 1989 shortly after it came on line and I have been on all of the ships (I think) over the years.

Bottom Line First:

I still think that Celebrity is the best value in the cruising industry. The line has evolved and not all of the changes have been ones that I have liked. I have, however, always understood that cruise lines are not 501©(3) entities and their goal is to show a profit. In the early days Celebrity was a pretty “quiet” experience and felt a bit more upscale than it does today. There were more intertainment options (string quartets etc.) and the service seemed a bit more personalized. The cost on the other hand was (in 2017 $) significantly higher. Again, on the whole, when compared to lines in its class, given the quality of product received for the price paid, Celebrity is still one of the real bargains in cruising.

Random Thoughts:

1. The line between RCI and Celebrity is not as clearly defined as it once was. On our Equinox cruise last week we noticed that there was significant selling/pressure of stuff like photos, art, and extraneous offerings. I get why this is done, but don’t especially like it. I would prefer to pay a couple of hundred more dollars to avoid this practice, but I understand that in an age of “add on” travel expenses this is just the way business is done. Celebrity ships have better public spaces/comfortable seating areas than does RCI, but the differences don’t seem as great as they once did.

2. We have booked cabins ranging from veranda to the Royal Suite, but without question prefer Auqua Class. Although some perks have inexplicably diminished even those that have insignificant costs, the Blu dining experience makes it all whorthwhile to us. As with any review of anything these are simply personal preference and opinion. I realize that the menu in Blu is not to everyone’s liking, but I find it comparable to any of the more expensive lines with whom we have cruised at a significantly better price.

3. Celebrity seems to attract a broader clientele than it has in the past (which is not necessarily a bad thing). We don’t cruise much in the summer months so I can’t comment on kids cruising although I have never seen any “gang” activity on Celebrity and I like seeing all ages. Last week was an older crowd (and I’m no spring chicken). Again, that’s not a bad thing and much has been written about the utilization of cruise lines versus traditional retirement facilities, which makes sense for some people. There are, however, what feels like a significant number of folks who are looking for a different cruise experience than am I. Of course that’s what makes the world go round and we all vote with our pocketbooks and feet. Celebrity, to me, feels a bit less like a upscale vacation than it once did. Again, it’s just my opinion and nothing more...

Our cruise last week was really fun even though the ports were excessively crowded. I guess there are presently fewer ports available for more ships. Anyone who thinks the cruise experience is anything like it is pictured in the brochures will be disappointed, but as a great bang for the buck, our week on the Equinox was close to unbeatable. Our cabin steward in Aqua was as good as we have ever had on any line and the food in Blu was the best of our many visits. Celebrity has changed since 1989; as it should have. I think we all have a tendency to become a bit critical about things we do a lot but given that none of us are the final arbiters of what a cruise (or anything else for that matter) should be like, on balance a Celebrity Cruise is a great (if imperfect) vacation. It will not be our last.

Thanks for the time to write a honest and very nice opinion of your experience. Everything changes thru the years and memories of old experiences sometimes aren’t really as great as what we thought they were.

Often thought about trying other lines but am content with X and your thoughts help me to keep status quo.

For the last 7 years we have mostly sailed on Celebrity in AQ. Our next cruise will be in a Sky Suite as we wanted to try the experience but it is still hard to justify the “upgrade” from AQ especially when there is no shower stall with the shower panel and access to the Persian Gardens.

Don’t need or really want the extra space as I am getting to old to chase my wife around the cabin. 😍

Happy cruising 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Thank you for your review. It’s very helpful to read a balanced review written by someone who can provide historical perspective.

I’ve only been cruising on Celebrity since 2006, but I’ve observed many of the changes you mentioned. There was a lovely string Quartet in 2006. By 2013, the string quartet had gone, along with some of that slightly upscale atmosphere. By 2017, the onboard sales pressure to purchase drink/dining packages had become intrusive and obnoxious. This, along with other points you noted, certainly detracts from the line’s advertised promise of providing “Modern Luxury”. However, your review has validated my sense that despite changes that detract from my personal Celebrity experience, they may still provide me a better experience than the other lines.

I’ve not yet cruised with another line, but often consider the ones you mentioned and wonder if the experience would be worth the significantly higher cost. I’ll reach elite level on the next cruise, which may make the decision more difficult:confused:

Thanks again and happy cruising:)

Sent from my iPad

Thanks so much for your thoughts. It is always helpful to get perspective from someone who has experienced Celebrity from back in the day.

Please come back more often. Cruise Critic could always use additional voices of reason.