Western Caribb. Ruins question/Princess tender issue

rxmurphy

Hi everyone. Have been trying to decide which ruins to visit. Princess has been changing our port times pretty much every week, but it looks like this right now:

Costa Maya 10AM-7PM

Belize 630AM-130PM

Grand Cayman 12Noon-7PM

Cozumel 10AM-7PM

Bearing in mind some dreadful tendering times, any suggestions for best ruins site to visit and where? Have never been, so I am not that critical. I am leaning towards a cruise line sponsored excursion solely because of crowded ports (6 ships GC, 8 ships Coz!). Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Cozumel is worth it....but keep in mind you have to take a really crazy small boat to the main land. My tablemates last year said they were crazy drivers and couldnt wait to get off it....almost an hour length. Then it is a few hours to the ruins. It is a full day excursion. Just beware you have to go from cozumel to the main land.

You have two good choices, Costa Maya and Belize. The ship docks at Costa Maya, and tendering hasn't been an issue at Belize. You can book a ship's excursion or arrange something privately. I haven't visited the ruins nearby so can't comment on how they might compare to sites like Tulum.

We took the ship's tour to Cahal Pech in Belize last year. It is a magnificent site, largely unexcavated. The only problem is that it is a 90 minute drive each way, so you are a little rushed at the site.

I can't see Cozumel tolerating 8 ships on a single day with tenders. There is no way.....

I agree. I think that everyone has to keep in mind that all of the schedules we see on line were done prior to Wilma destroying things and a lot of the cruise ships have since changed their itineraries. Some of the sites still show the Disney Magic going as they've canceled cozumel until further notice. Some still show The Star Princess going there on tour original day in March and doesn't show the changes.

Of course what kills me with the tenders is that we get the priority tender passes as we're in a full suite but our friends who are traveling with us don't so we'll have to wait anyway.

Cozumel is worth it....but keep in mind you have to take a really crazy small boat to the main land. My tablemates last year said they were crazy drivers and couldnt wait to get off it....almost an hour length. Then it is a few hours to the ruins. It is a full day excursion. Just beware you have to go from cozumel to the main land.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, because when I went to the mainland, they were LARGE ferries, that carried about 100 people. No small boats there.

We did the Belize River Wallace tour last year. The tender's were not a problem, they actually moved pretty fast. We really enjoyed the ruin's, but the river tour to get there was just way to long. It's very hot and when we got back we were so tired. Seeing the ruin's by themselves would have been plenty. We booked with the ship and the giude's were wonderful.

Archived