Alaska Cruise Cabin Selection Question

lr657

We booked our first Alaska cruise and cruise tour yesterday evening. We will be sailing southbound on the Radiance with a 5 night cruise tour prior. We chose a cabin on the port side of the ship and I would like to be sure that this is the best side to be on. I remember a thread regarding new cabin categories for Alaska, but I am not able to locate the thread again. If I remember correctly the information on the thread was that the cabins would be priced differently for having a "preferred view". The cabins for the new bookings are categorized differently for both sides of the ship, ours is a 4G Spacious Balcony and the other side Spacious Balcony cabins are 2G. The pricing is the same for either side. As expected, when I call, no one can give me an explanation. While cabins are still available, I would like to be sure that we're on the side with the best view.

The 2g in theory should be a higher priced cabin. If they are the same price, book it!

That's why I am a bit confused, the 2G cabins are all starboard and 4G are all port. I'm thinking the port side will allow a good view of the scenery when sailing south. I really wish I could locate the PDF or thread that came out a few weeks ago about the new cabin classifications.

Congratulations on your cruise next year. I have done 4 Alaskan cruises so far 3 on Radiance of the Seas and once on Princess. I am also doing yet another Radiance next June. I have been on both sides of the ship. They both will have great views once in the inside passage as there is land on both sides of the ship. Port side does not mean that is the side that will face the port when docked sometimes they dock on the starboard side. I would take which ever side I can get. I actually like the humps on the starboard side as you can see all the way down both ends of the ship and straight down to the water. At Hubbard Glacier, they usually rotate the ship so all sides get glacier viewing. Hope this helps :)

Congratulations on your cruise next year. I have done 4 Alaskan cruises so far 3 on Radiance of the Seas and once on Princess. I am also doing yet another Radiance next June. I have been on both sides of the ship. They both will have great views once in the inside passage as there is land on both sides of the ship. Port side does not mean that is the side that will face the port when docked sometimes they dock on the starboard side. I would take which ever side I can get. I actually like the humps on the starboard side as you can see all the way down both ends of the ship and straight down to the water. At Hubbard Glacier, they usually rotate the ship so all sides get glacier viewing. Hope this helps :)

Thank you, this definitely helps. I think it's the new Alaska cabin categories that have me confused. We're more interested in having good views while sailing. It's good to know that they generally rotate the ship at Hubbard Glacier.

I was on Radiance this past June on the southbound cruise. We were on the port side (left facing the front of the ship for landlubbers) and that’s the preferred side for coast viewing. I recall facing the land side at port in Ketchikan and Icy Strait. I believe we were facing away from land in Skagway and Juneau.

We chose a port side cabin for our southbound Alaska cruise thinking the port (left) side of the ship would always have better views. We ended up spending very little time in our cabin. When there was something to see, we wanted to be on one of the upper, open decks so we could move from side to side to see things. I now say the best side of the ship is the OUT side.

We chose a port side cabin for our southbound Alaska cruise thinking the port (left) side of the ship would always have better views. We ended up spending very little time in our cabin. When there was something to see, we wanted to be on one of the upper, open decks so we could move from side to side to see things. I now say the best side of the ship is the OUT side.

I was on Radiance this past June on the southbound cruise. We were on the port side (left facing the front of the ship for landlubbers) and that’s the preferred side for coast viewing. I recall facing the land side at port in Ketchikan and Icy Strait. I believe we were facing away from land in Skagway and Juneau.

Thank you all for your help. I guess we'll stay port side. I do have a feeling that we'll probably end up on deck to view the scenery quite often also. We have sailed many cruises, but have waited to do our first Alaska cruise to celebrate DH retiring since it's his bucket list cruise. I know I'll be doing quite a bit of research before we go.

We booked our first Alaska cruise and cruise tour yesterday evening. We will be sailing southbound on the Radiance with a 5 night cruise tour prior. We chose a cabin on the port side of the ship and I would like to be sure that this is the best side to be on. I remember a thread regarding new cabin categories for Alaska, but I am not able to locate the thread again. If I remember correctly the information on the thread was that the cabins would be priced differently for having a "preferred view". The cabins for the new bookings are categorized differently for both sides of the ship, ours is a 4G Spacious Balcony and the other side Spacious Balcony cabins are 2G. The pricing is the same for either side. As expected, when I call, no one can give me an explanation. While cabins are still available, I would like to be sure that we're on the side with the best view.

Hi Lorraine, we did this cruise in August on radiance however we did the northbound to seward, then did the land tour part. We stayed on deck 8 mid hump room

8594 was an E2 but I don't know what that converts to within the new room categories. We had a wonderful time. If I can answer any questions just let me know. I don't think you can go wrong, the only time we viewed the scenery from the balcony was Hubbard and they did a 360 turn so everyone got a good view, up top was too full and getting pictures was difficult. Enjoy.

In August 2016 we had an amidships JS on the starboard side. The only time we spent a considerable duration on the balcony was during the viewing of the Hubbard glacier and the ship did a full 360 degree slow turn so all side had a good view.

Thanks Bill. Looking forward to meeting you on the Radiance during the May Hawaii sailing.

Hi Lorraine, we did this cruise in August on radiance however we did the northbound to seward, then did the land tour part. We stayed on deck 8 mid hump room

8594 was an E2 but I don't know what that converts to within the new room categories. We had a wonderful time. If I can answer any questions just let me know. I don't think you can go wrong, the only time we viewed the scenery from the balcony was Hubbard and they did a 360 turn so everyone got a good view, up top was too full and getting pictures was difficult. Enjoy.

Hi Sheila. We're doing a 5 day cruise tour from Fairbanks prior to the cruise. I'll message you if I need help with anything.

I would try to avoid rooms on Deck 7 as the lifeboat covers extend pretty far out, unless in a room on the hump, I have been in 7600 and 7598 on the hump both had wonderful views, and did a port side on deck 8 (I don't remember that room) and also great veiws. Balcony rooms on deck 9 are a little larger in size than those on decks 7 and 8, not saying the balcony is bigger but the rooms are. :)