Laundry Deals?

splish

last year we enjoyed using a special laundry deal. it was a bag you could fill to the brim and have washed for about $12.

i will be cruising on Westerdam and Veendam in Jan., and knowing if this deal is still available will affect how i pack.

could you recent crusiers let me know if they still do this. anything else i need to know?

thank you and happy travels! ~ Splish

We cruised transatlantic on the Westerdam last April.

There are no coin operated washers or dryers on the vessel.

Only laundry available is to do self laundry in room if you do not wish to opt paying for it.

The price of the laundry packages vary by the number of days of the cruise. On our cruise we had 3 type of basic laundry services available to us.

1. Pay a given amount for unlimited laundry.

2. Pay by the bag like you mentioned.

3. Pay by item of clothing with the cost of each type of clothing (shirt, shorts, under clothes, etc) varing by it's predetermined and stated price to laundry it.

You see a lot of clothes flying in the wind drying on the balconies on the sea days sometimes.:D

The laundry bag special was available on the Zuiderdam last week. Rocks is posting live on the Westerdam right now, if you want to ask her. It was a great deal, and we used it twice. I plan on packing very, very, lightly in March and using the service again on the Oosterdam. The items were returned in 24 hours.

Enjoy your cruises!

Marie

As a first time cruiser who will be going in March, I also wonder about laundry facilities aboard the Ryndham. Nice to know you can get it done reasonably, like $12.00 per bag. My question is, how do they do the laundry? Is everything stuffed in a dryer? Or can you specify like, "cold wash, air dry" on things like fine knits? I'd be horrified if they put some of my things in the dryer. Any info here?

The Ryndam does have washers/dryers for self service. They also have the $12.00 a bag laundry. I have never used it but understand that the items come back nicely folded. You can not tell them about drying, water temp, etc. We usually sign up for the "all you can press" special. If something is wrinkled when I take it out of the suitcase, off it goes to be pressed. I will wash our clothes and then send all the T shirts, shorts, cotten pants out to be pressed. I do let them go into dryer for a short period and then hang them up. Sometimes I put them on the back of the lounge chair on balconey to dry further. If you use the $12.00 laundry bag be sure to roll all your clothes and not just stuff them in there. You will be very surprised on how much you can get in the bag. We will be on the Oosterdam this coming May and will have to let them wash our clothes. I will not send out anything that I usually hang dry.

Hope this info helps.

BTW, you do not need to bring soap. There is a button on washer for HAL's soap. The wash is $2.00. I can't remember cost of dry - $1.25 or $1.50. The dryer runs for a long time so need to keep an eye on it.

Recently On The Zuiderdam And Used The $12 Bag Laundry. It Was Great And We Plan On Using It On The Maasdam In Jan. You Can Really Stuff Alot In The Bag. It Came Back In Less Than 24 Hours In A Wicker Tray With Tissue And A Ribbon Bow. Very Elegant. We Plan On Eliminating One Suitcase.

Does the Veendam have self serve laundry of do you have to use one of the specials?

Thanks!

Yes, the Veendam has two self service laundries. One is on Deck 9 which was near our cabin and I don't remember what deck the other one was on.

The self service laundry rooms are quite crowded though and there barely is room to move around in them. They do provide an iron with a water spray as well in the self service laundries. The cost per load in the wshing machines is $2.00 per load. The dryer cost varies. You get so many minutes per quarter inserted in the slot. Both the washers and the dryers take only American quarters. Passengers can buy quarters through the front office located on the Lower Promenade deck. Incidentally included in your $2.00 for the washers is the detergent to wash your clothes in. You do have the option of turning the shipboard soap off though and providing your own instead.

Unfortunately there is no bar service in the laundry rooms. Hope this is helpful and that you enjoy that Veendam cruise as much as we enjoyed ours.

Hi folks -

We're cruising on the Noordam inaugural in Feb. I've looked at some of the deck plans at HAL's website & am unable to figure out if Noordam will have the self-serve laundries. DH & I usually manage w/o needing to send out laundry on a 7-day cruise but I do like to press his dress shirts - don't really want to send out those for just pressing. Has anyone seen/heard anything about Noordam?

Thanks.

ExaltHim,

On the Zuiderdam, do you recall the price of the unlimited laundry ? Are dry cleaning items separate, or is there a pay-one-price for dry cleaning as well ?

Thanks !

I am not positive, but I am thinking around $45. I remember trying to figure out what would be best for us, and it almost equated to four bags of the $12 all you can fit, and I didn't think we would send out that much. I believe there is a pay-one-price for dry cleaning as well. Unfortunately, I do not recall that price. Or, you may have them dry cleaned separately. I did send a dress out shortly after arriving to make sure I had it for the first formal night, which I did. My dress was considered long and it was $6.50. In fact, it came back in 24 hours, without paying for express.

Marie

I recently emailed Holland America concerning laundry prices for our upcoming Volendam cruise. They replied:

Unlimited "laundry and pressing" packages are available

7-day sailing $ 45 per person

10-day sailing $ 70 per person

14-16 day sailing $ 95 per person

17-21 day sailing $120 per person

There is also an unlimited "pressing only" package for $30 per person

for any length of itinerary. For guests in full Suites (category "S")

and the Penthouse Suite, full-service laundry is complimentary on all

ships.

For $12 per bag, we will wash and dry your clothes. Laundry bags can

be found in your closet within your stateroom. This package does not

include pressing or dry cleaning. There is a 48-hour turnaround time for

this service and it can only be purchased onboard.

All rates are subject to change or withdrawal without prior notice.

Holiday sailings may have different limitations or rates.

Here are the Laundry and Dry Cleaning Charge Forms as taken from the Westerdam in November 2005. Warning ... images are large so one can read the prices:

For "Laundry by the Bag" --

laundrybythebag1.jpg

For By-the-Item Laundry and Dry Cleaning --

drycleaninglaundry1.jpg

On the 30/34 day Panama Canal/Amazon cruise in October, the charge for the bag was $18.00. It was still an okay deal due to the amount of laundry I managed to squeeze into the bag. I'm not sure why it was more on this trip than the other prices I've seen in the previous posts.

It sure saved the hassle of jockeying for the machines. Due to the length of the cruise, they were always busy. During the time we were in the Amazon River, about six days, the washers were shut down and other water conservation measures were in place as well since the normal processing of water cannot occur from the water in the Amazon.

The Ryndam does have washers/dryers for self service. They also have the $12.00 a bag laundry. I have never used it but understand that the items come back nicely folded. You can not tell them about drying, water temp, etc. We usually sign up for the "all you can press" special. If something is wrinkled when I take it out of the suitcase, off it goes to be pressed. I will wash our clothes and then send all the T shirts, shorts, cotten pants out to be pressed. I do let them go into dryer for a short period and then hang them up. Sometimes I put them on the back of the lounge chair on balconey to dry further. If you use the $12.00 laundry bag be sure to roll all your clothes and not just stuff them in there. You will be very surprised on how much you can get in the bag. We will be on the Oosterdam this coming May and will have to let them wash our clothes. I will not send out anything that I usually hang dry.

Hope this info helps.

BTW, you do not need to bring soap. There is a button on washer for HAL's soap. The wash is $2.00. I can't remember cost of dry - $1.25 or $1.50. The dryer runs for a long time so need to keep an eye on it.

That was very informative, thank u so much

• 4 months later...
I recently emailed Holland America concerning laundry prices for our upcoming Volendam cruise. They replied:

Unlimited "laundry and pressing" packages are available

7-day sailing $ 45 per person

10-day sailing $ 70 per person

14-16 day sailing $ 95 per person

17-21 day sailing $120 per person

There is also an unlimited "pressing only" package for $30 per person

for any length of itinerary. For guests in full Suites (category "S")

and the Penthouse Suite, full-service laundry is complimentary on all

ships.

For $12 per bag, we will wash and dry your clothes. Laundry bags can

be found in your closet within your stateroom. This package does not

include pressing or dry cleaning. There is a 48-hour turnaround time for

this service and it can only be purchased onboard.

All rates are subject to change or withdrawal without prior notice.

Holiday sailings may have different limitations or rates.

Is the unlimited really per person or is it per cabin???

Archived