Any Downside to Non-Refundable Deposits?

martyap

I have 5 balcony cabins booked on the Allure for June, 2018. Since I booked on board there was only a $50pp deposit. Booking was then transferred to [] final payment due 3/18; airfare has all been booked; we have private travel insurance.

If we change to the non refundable offering the savings per cabin would be $436 for a total savings of $2180. I would just have to add $400 deposit per cabin and the total deposits would now be non refundable.

Any downside to doing this now while it is still being offered?

Thanks.

Edited by Host Clarea
TA removed

I have 5 balcony cabins booked on the Allure for June, 2018. Since I booked on board there was only a $50pp deposit. Booking was then transferred to Costco Travel; final payment due 3/18; airfare has all been booked; we have private travel insurance.

If we change to the non refundable offering the savings per cabin would be $436 for a total savings of $2180. I would just have to add $400 deposit per cabin and the total deposits would now be non refundable.

Thanks.

Also, any change to ship or sailing date would cost you $100pp.

Still a little confused......if I pull the trigger today the new non refundable deposit is $500 per cabin. So doesn't that mean I can no longer cancel between now and final payment. "just because." However, if four months from now I have to cancel due to reasons covered by my travel insurance (Travelex) I would not incur any loss.

Still a little confused......if I pull the trigger today the new non refundable deposit is $500 per cabin. So doesn't that mean I can no longer cancel between now and final payment. "just because." However, if four months from now I have to cancel due to reasons covered by my travel insurance (Travelex) I would not incur any loss.

Correct, your insurance should cover your non-refundable costs should you cancel for a covered reason.

If you cancel for a non-covered reason, then you would lose $100pp and the balance of the deposit wuould remain as a credit to be used within one year.

A competent travel agent can easily explain the pros/cons of switching to the non-refundable rate. Is there any reason you’re not asking your agent [.] this question?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Host Clarea
TA removed

The non-refundable deposit is the reason why I only have 1 more cruise left.

Before that policy was implemented, I usually had 2, 3 or 4 future bookings in place over the next 2 years.

Your situation changes all the time and it is very risky to plan that far with.

The need to cancel sometimes comes up.

I am not about to lose deposit money...

I have four upcoming cruises but this particular cruise I am paying for five cabins and the fare savings is $2250. The final payment is due in three months so that is not so far off. We have travel insurance in the event we have to cancel for a covered reason. If we change ships/dates RCCL charges a fee of $100pp and the remaining $150pp becomes a future cruise credit. It was worth the "risk" saving the $2250 to go with the lower non refundable deposit fare......AND.....each cabin picked up $100OBC.........AND.....Travelex refunded $150 for the lower insurance value needed........total for two phone calls.......$2900 saved.

Before that policy was implemented, I usually had 2, 3 or 4 future bookings in place over the next 2 years.

Why don't you just book refundable?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just booked Anthem today for June 2019, I really wanted to book the non-refundable to save money and get more OBC but the thought of losing $500 wasn't worth it. I booked the refundable for now and hoping that when I know for sure I will be going on the cruise I can change it to non-refundable and save some more money.

Correct, your insurance should cover your non-refundable costs should you cancel for a covered reason.

If you cancel for a non-covered reason, then you would lose $100pp and the balance of the deposit wuould remain as a credit to be used within one year.

CFAR insurance usually does not pay 100%, I've seen 50% and 75% and is expensive option

Good for the OP though to have travel insurance from the start. First thing I thought of when I saw the thread's subject "Any Downside to Non-Refundable Deposits?" was insurance. Medical coverage for me is the big thing to watch for with non-refundable deposits because the insurance pre-existing coverage waiver clock can require purchase within 48 hours from the first non-refundable deposit (varies with policy) so if booking on board with non-nonrefundable deposit might have to remember to struggle though that slow wifi to buy insurance (or an email to your agent).

I just booked Anthem today for June 2019, I really wanted to book the non-refundable to save money and get more OBC but the thought of losing $500 wasn't worth it. I booked the refundable for now and hoping that when I know for sure I will be going on the cruise I can change it to non-refundable and save some more money.

I recently changed a cruise I booked with a refundable to nonrefundable and saved some money. So it's an option for bookings up to final payment deadline. That said, I also upgraded the room when I changed the deposit, so I don't know if that made any difference or not.

I booked the June 2018 Allure trip on board the

Allure last April......refundable rate.... 5 CP balcony cabins........have taken advantage of a couple of “sales” and after going to non refundable this morning my total savings is $1000 PER CABIN..... so keep looking and take advantage of every decent offer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Right there with you. I have two bookings in 2018 under "old" rules and will not commit to anything in 2019 yet due to NRD's. It is also pushing me look more at other lines.

I have 5 balcony cabins booked on the Allure for June, 2018. Since I booked on board there was only a $50pp deposit. Booking was then transferred to [] final payment due 3/18; airfare has all been booked; we have private travel insurance.

Thanks.

No offense but I think you a minimizing the downside a little (wishful thinking perhaps:)) with comparing the total savings against the increase of one deposit.

If I understand correctly you have 5x$100 refundable deposit now.

To save $2180 you must pay an additional 5x$400 = $2000 making $2500 non-refundable

To me that is a lot of risk compared with reward. That said, are these cruises close together - thinking if something happened would you cancel them all or just one. How everyone's health including family, and your jobs and ...

Two positives though:

1. for $100 pp ($200 per cruise?) you can move to another sailing so (worst case compared against best case savings) an additional $1000 *IF* you move to new sailings. So you could think of that $1000 sort of like insurance that you only pay if needed (which is the best kind :) )

2. you have already bought CFAR insurance.

Because of already having this much of your risk is covered so you would only lose 50% or 25% (or whatever is the coverage on your policy) of the $2500 in total deposits if CFAR coverage applied if it was before final payment. After final it does not matter about the deposit type.

If you have CFAR ("just because" but check your policy) it should cover your nonrefundable deposit for a covered reason but not the full amount - check your policy for the exact coverage.

If you have trip cancellation insurance but do not have CFAR ("just because" but check your policy) then yes, if you cancel between now and FP for a not covered reason (i.e. ("just because") insurance would not pay for your nonrefunable deposits.

For all insurance questions I suggest you for you to check with your underwriter. What is in your policy is all that matters and what is in someone else's can be different. It is a contract so the wording is precise. Only the insurance provider can give you the correct answers.

Being as you have insurance already in place and being as you could move to other sailings for $200 (x5) *IF* needed so have that "out" as well, I would want to save the money as well

It is not complicated. It is a family cruise, same ship, same date, 5 cabins.........final payment is only three months away. These are not separate cruises far in the future. I already pulled the trigger. We are going on this cruise and saving this amount of money was a nice Hanukkah gift......simply by making my deposit non refundable.....we do not have CFAR insurance but the only reason we would not be on this cruise is for a reason that was covered.....this is not brain surgery. Please close the subject.

We just booked 2019 Vision out of Barcelona. Saved $500 for the cabin by booking NRD. Down payment was $900. If we cancel, $700 becomes a credit (which should not be an issue using). So we put $200 at risk to save $500. Seemed like a good deal. We have friends on their first cruise and they booked refundable as they may decide they don't want to try cruising.

We just booked 2019 Vision out of Barcelona. Saved $500 for the cabin by booking NRD. Down payment was $900. If we cancel, $700 becomes a credit (which should not be an issue using). So we put $200 at risk to save $500. Seemed like a good deal. We have friends on their first cruise and they booked refundable as they may decide they don't want to try cruising.

Just remember you can still take advantage if the NRD fare goes down or if they add any OBC in the future

It is not complicated. It is a family cruise, same ship, same date, 5 cabins.........final payment is only three months away. These are not separate cruises far in the future. I already pulled the trigger. We are going on this cruise and saving this amount of money was a nice Hanukkah gift......simply by making my deposit non refundable.....we do not have CFAR insurance but the only reason we would not be on this cruise is for a reason that was covered.....this is not brain surgery. Please close the subject.
The advice supplied is valid for other readers. On topic replies are for everyone's benefit.
we do not have CFAR insurance

Sorry I misread the posts with having insurance and the 'just becasue". re-reading I can see that I read CFAR into it. My apologies.

It is not complicated. .....this is not brain surgery.

You wrote just this morning "Still a little confused..." We are just trying to be helpful.

I have four upcoming cruises but this particular cruise I am paying for five cabins and the fare savings is $2250. The final payment is due in three months so that is not so far off. We have travel insurance in the event we have to cancel for a covered reason. If we change ships/dates RCCL charges a fee of $100pp and the remaining $150pp becomes a future cruise credit. It was worth the "risk" saving the $2250 to go with the lower non refundable deposit fare......AND.....each cabin picked up $100OBC.........AND.....Travelex refunded $150 for the lower insurance value needed........total for two phone calls.......$2900 saved.

That is great... I think that means it is time to book another one with the savings. Well at least that is what I would do, but then again, My name is Mike, and I am an addict. :o

Enjoy your savings.