Revamped Rotterdam: two questions

jeph

I'm booked for a cruise on Rotterdam in early June. Since the dry-dock freshening-up was completed a few weeks back, I had two quick questions, the first of which is just asking for an update ( I had previously asked about it in July, before the drydock)

1) Would there be any point in my bringing a couple of favorite CD's / DVD's? That is, is there a way to play them with the equipment provided in the cabin? (Last HAL cruise was on Nieuw Amsterdam, a much newer ship; cabin flatscreen televisions had a slot on the left side where a CD could be inserted to play)

2) Has the "modernization" done away with the self-service laundry?

I hope some of you have the answers...Thanks!

I'm booked for a cruise on Rotterdam in early June. Since the dry-dock freshening-up was completed a few weeks back, I had two quick questions, the first of which is just asking for an update ( I had previously asked about it in July, before the drydock)

1) Would there be any point in my bringing a couple of favorite CD's / DVD's? That is, is there a way to play them with the equipment provided in the cabin? (Last HAL cruise was on Nieuw Amsterdam, a much newer ship; cabin flatscreen televisions had a slot on the left side where a CD could be inserted to play)

2) Has the "modernization" done away with the self-service laundry?

I hope some of you have the answers...Thanks!

Can't answer 1), but yes to 2), no more self-service laundry.

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of! It's one thing not to include it on their newer vessels, but to ACTIVELY GET RID OF IT on the older ones is a bit much. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info...

Maybe HAL is getting rid of the self-service laundries because of the problems they cause: arguments, noise, near-fights (apparently).

The ships' laundries must return a good profit, more than the self-service ones do. What is the pricing now? $18 a bag? Much better return than the washers and dryers, I would think.

Well, I've never seen, or even heard about, any laundry-related fisticuffs on any ship that offered self-service...But the drive for extra onboard revenue (to make up for fares that are a third of what they were 35 years ago, when inflation is factored in) is common to all mainstream lines now!

As for that CD / DVD issue, anybody please weigh in if you know...

When I sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam (a little over a year ago) my cabin had the large, flat, wall-mounted TV, but there was no place I found to insert a DVD. I knew such a thing does exist, so deliberately ran my fingers along the edges looking for a slot for the DVD. Didn't find one.

Now, do other cabins have a different type of TV? Perhaps. But mine did not have that feature.

Well, I've never seen, or even heard about, any laundry-related fisticuffs on any ship that offered self-service...But the drive for extra onboard revenue (to make up for fares that are a third of what they were 35 years ago, when inflation is factored in) is common to all mainstream lines now!

Many years ago we did a South American cruise on the Old Nieuw Amsterdam.

The laundry room was located next to the doors going out onto the promenade deck. We were just going outside when a fight broke out in the laundry room. A young lady removed another woman's clothes from the dryer (before they were completely dried) and placed her clothing in the dryer. Security was called. For the rest of the cruise, a security person or member of the crew sat in a chair right outside the laundry room.

In response to Krazy Kruisers: "guard duty" for a laundry room? Wow, THAT's a first! :eek:

In response to Ruth C: The cabins I had on Nieuw Amsterdam were both ordinary outsides, (in one case with a partially obstructed view) so I don't think cabin category plays any role on whether the television features that CD slot. In any event, I'm not surprised you didn't spot it...Nearly all modern electronics seem to have been designed to make it a frustrating experience to do anything on the device itself (as opposed to using some sort of remote control.) Everything is matte black finish, with tiny print in dark grey. When trying to figure out whether I can plug a memory card for my camera into a friend's television, for example, I always have to deploy some sort of flashlight to see if this is even possible. And heaven help you if the thing is mounted on the wall, so you can't access the back!

"Um, do you have any idea where the user's manual is?" (They usually have no clue) :rolleyes: :(

Many years ago we did a South American cruise on the Old Nieuw Amsterdam.

The laundry room was located next to the doors going out onto the promenade deck. We were just going outside when a fight broke out in the laundry room. A young lady removed another woman's clothes from the dryer (before they were completely dried) and placed her clothing in the dryer. Security was called. For the rest of the cruise, a security person or member of the crew sat in a chair right outside the laundry room.

KK, thanks for writing up that experience. I know of a few more, but yours takes the prize!