Gastro illness on Royal Caribbean

cruisingrandma04

Cruise lines are required to report Noro when it reaches a certain percentage of persons onboard. 3%??? That’s why they’re always in the news.

Practice good hygiene and it’ll eliminate most problems. We sailed on a Princess ship that couldn’t shake Noro for (seemingly) months. We didn’t have an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A Celebrity agent that I spoke to recently, told me their line actually had one guest who, after filling out the pre-boarding card denying any illness, threw up while handing in his card. When staff went to help, he was feverish and obviously ill. Fortunately, he was denied boarding but it just goes to show the selfishness of some people!

And I'll just add that the Clorox wipes available for sale in most retail shops also does not kill noro. Only Clorox Healthcare Wipes are rated to kill Noro. Hydrogen peroxide is also rated to kill noro. I always take some with me and wipe down the usual culprits in our room. That means telephone, light switches, handles including those in the bathroom and the sink and toilet.

Years ago we had a severe chest cold and the flu making the rounds of my workplace during the run up to Christmas. A friend who is a nurse said to wipe down all the things everyone touches such as telephones, light switches, and handles plus lots of hand washing is the best way to slow the spread. Washed everything down every morning and kept washing hands after bathroom use, after sneezing or coughing, before eating, and before rubbing eyes worked a charm and we were all doing much better by New Year.

We are booked on an RCL cruise next year. I've been reading and hearing a lot about the gastro outbreaks which seem to haunt RCL more than other cruise lines. Any thoughts or experiences from those who cruise RCL?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

One of the many reasons we no longer cruise on mass market lines is the slovenly and unhygienic passenger behavior in buffets that are self-serve. It only takes one uncaring slob to create unsavory conditions with utensils (or the food items themselves) that then negatively impact the vast majority of passengers who take reasonable precautions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums