Best time and Line to cruise Alaska

melodi1963

Can anyone tell me the best month (or the worst month) to cruise Alaska?

I hear that they hava a "rainy" season and a "mosquito" season, I would like to plan a cruise in 2007 and want to make it the best one possible.

Thanks,

Melodi1963

We have cruised nearly every month in Alaska - didn't cruise in May.

We have found the best time (for us) is the end of June, July or the first part of August. The sun is higher, the glaciers are calving more during this time and the weather is better. But on any Alaskan cruise at any time you can expect rain, warm weather (even had a heat wave once), sunny, cloudy. So you need to dress in layers and be prepared for anything.

We have never been bothered by moquitos - maybe we have just been lucky.

As for cruise line - the majority of our cruises to Alaska has been on HAL. In fact we are doing back-to-back cruises on the Statendam in June 2006.

The closer to the middle of the summer, the better. Like the previous poster said about mid June to mi August. Outside those times the weather can get toward the cold side. Last June we did not encounter mosquitos at sea, but inland when there is no wind, look out!!

I hear that they hava a "rainy" season and a "mosquito" season, I would like to plan a cruise in 2007 and want to make it the best one possible.

Thanks,

Melodi1963

We (me and DW) sailed on Carnivals old Julibee back in 2000. Went in the middle of June. The weather was good, no real rain days just a few sprinkles from time to time. From what I remember most of the days were a little overcast but the sun would peek out. We did bring heavy winter coats and needed them when we were in front of Hubbards Glacier! But most of the time I was in jeans and a t-shirt, and the DW in a sweatshirt. Never remember any bug problems, mosquitos or flies, on land or water.

We went the end of July a few years ago and missed the fish and bears for the most part. That's what I really wanted to see too! So, I would suggest mid to late August if you want to see the fish running. As far as excursions, there are lots of good ones but they are all really expensive! Save your pennies!

We prefer Princess ships, but everyone has their favorites.

Melodi, really all of the months are fairly good. You will get better prices either early in the season or late in the season and the ports will be a little less crowded. You will iikely have better weather in the middle of the season but we too have been to Alaska several times and even if you go there the same time of the year it will likely be different each time you go. We have been there when it was on the cooler side, the sunny side, the rainy side and the cloudy side.

First decide when you want to go, and then decide what type of itinerary you are interested in. If you just want to cruise then I would recommend doing the inside passage which is normally a round trip from Vancouver. If you can, arrive in Vancouver a couple of days ahead as it is a wonderful city. From there you can take a ferry to Victoria which is beautiful.

If you want to stay in Alaska and take a post cruise you could do a Northern trip from say Vancouver to Seward.

OK for cruise lines. If you wanted to do a post cruise in Alaska through a cruise line then that should be a factor. Princess and Holland have stronger post cruise packages than most of the other lines.

If you do not plan to do a post cruise then another line to look at is Celebrity cruise lines.

Alaska is a wonderful place to visit.

Keith

I would suggest you go to amazon.com and order the book "Alaska by Cruise Ship" by Anne Vipond. There are so many different choices when cruising Alaska and this book will explain all the options and describe all the ports.

We did the roundtrip 7 night from Vancouver in August of 2004 and loved it. One of the secretaries at our school did a HAL 7 day in May of 2003 and loved it. We know others who have done one way cruises and stayed for a land tour, either before or after the cruise and loved it. So, there is no best choice, everyone has different desires.

Your choice of ship, departure port and length of cruise may be different from what others have experienced. In other words, you need to do a bit more homework that just reading a message board, although much of the first hand experience read here is valuable. The best line and the best time is up to you!

After cruising Alaska once, we definitely want to go back again. But, the next time, what would be perfect for us would be a more adventurous, smaller ship. One that does not go to the typical port stops of the larger ships. I'd actually love to do a charter and really explore the areas where cruise ships can't go. Also, seven days isn't nearly enough time to see much of Alaska, we would love to spend at least two weeks next time we go.

We've done it in May and the entire week was sunny with temps in the 80's and 90's even! It was spectacular, but there's no predicting the weather. It can be either gorgeous or nasty any week, you just have to take a chance.

We went Memorial Day week several years ago. We had friends that went Labor Day Week the fall before us.

They got to see salmon in these streams close to a lot of the gift shops and "Miss Dolly's" in Ketchiken. We thought we would see them too-until we were told the salmon were only there once a year when they spawned. We were told they are in the streams 2 weeks every year at the end of August- early September. So If I ever go on another Alaska cruise I will pick then.

As far as the weather-it was mild-the temps. were like alow 35 mornings and a high of around 60 during the day-it would hit 60 around the mid afternoon. It reminded me of late Feb.-early March weather that we have here in GA.

It was colder in the glacier area though-but that was because there was a strong, windy, blowing mist in the glaciers-which as we all know when it is windy it feels much colder then it really is.

We layered in the glaciers. We did not bring heavy coats. We had waterproof jackets-mine had a light fleece lining and a hood. We also brought gloves and scarfs. Wearing these with a sweather under my jacket, I was plenty warm in the glaciers and got to enjoy the calfing very much. We also were served hot chocolate and soup out on the decks in the glaciers so it was not hard to stay warm.

It did rain some- but not all the time-we were prepared with the disposable rain ponchos- which worked great- small enough to fit in our coat pockets-gave very good coverage-really covered better then an umbrella would and easy to toss after use. Walmarts sold these for like 88 cents-and the Alaska ports stores sold them- the same exact brand and everything- but there the ponchos were like $3 to $5 -depending on the store.

Thanks,

Melodi1963

August . . . Princess Cruise Line

May is the 'Dry Month', in four cruises we had only on day of rain, the cost of a cruise is lower too! We DID have snow one day, it was high up on the White Pass Railroad, that was great. They say, so I have been told when it rains you are seeing the 'true Alaska!' I'll take dry. :) john

Archived