Daytona 500 Traffic?

Jcol5786

We are sailing on Oasis leaving on Feb. 18'th. We will be driving down from Ontario and will arrive in the area on or about Feb 16'th. We are staying in Melborne to give us a beach day prior to the cruise. We will be about 20 miles from the cruise terminal and would be travelling north on I95 on embarkation day. I just realized that this is the same day as the Daytona 500. I expect that traffic on I95 will be heavier than usual on Sunday morning due to people travelling to the race however as we will be some distance from Daytona Beach I am hoping it will not be an issue getting from Melbourne to PC on Sunday morning. Any comments as to what traffic might be like that morning would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would download WAZE if you don't already have it installed and use it to get up to date traffic. It will direct you to the quickest route and will adjust through the drive if necessary.

I find it to be the most accurate of any of the GPS apps/Apple Maps/ Google Maps out there.

Enjoy.

I live just off I-95 about 10 miles south from the port, on the northern limit of "Melbourne"

I have NEVER seen any traffic associated with Daytona save the bunches of bikers sightseeing during bike week

Daytona is over 50 miles north of the port .... that would have to be one HECK of a backup .....

I even made the mistake of driving north on 95 one year getting to Daytona about an hour after the race ended ... even then the delays were minimal ... The State Police had a plan for handling the rush and it seemed to work just fine.

If you really are sweating it jst go up US-1 or A1A but really ... you will not have an issue because of Daytona traffic

here's a website for good real time traffic in central Florida and the east coast with links to live traffic cams

http://www.mynews13.com//content/news/cfnews13/traffic.html

I agree with Capt BJ,we have a townhome in Satellite Beach which is just south of Cocoa ( and some people refer to us as Melbourne :rolleyes:). We have been here every February during the Daytona 500 for the past 5 years and have never seen an increase in I95 traffic in our area.

Sherri:)

Thanks for all of the replies. Good to hear that the race traffic will not impact our drive from Melbourne to PC. I was a little concerned because several years ago we got caught in traffic from the race while travelling south on 95. We arrived at the Daytona Beach area on the Saturday afternoon prior to the race on our way to Orlando. Traffic was a mess, especially at the intersection of I95 and I4. Took us about 5 hours to get to Orlando from just north of Daytona.

Traffic around Daytona race weekend is always a mess😀 but you should be there for Bike Week if you really want to see traffic😂.

We are on the Oasis Feb. 18 sailing, too. Oasis is a beautiful ship, we are looking forward to sailing on her again!

Sherri:)

We are sailing on Oasis leaving on Feb. 18'th. We will be driving down from Ontario and will arrive in the area on or about Feb 16'th. We are staying in Melborne to give us a beach day prior to the cruise. We will be about 20 miles from the cruise terminal and would be travelling north on I95 on embarkation day. I just realized that this is the same day as the Daytona 500. I expect that traffic on I95 will be heavier than usual on Sunday morning due to people travelling to the race however as we will be some distance from Daytona Beach I am hoping it will not be an issue getting from Melbourne to PC on Sunday morning. Any comments as to what traffic might be like that morning would be appreciated. Thanks.

Why not stay closer in Cocoa Beach?

We too are on the February 18 Oasis sailing. Se will be arriving in Orlando Saturday morning and driving to Melbourne (Residence Inn with points). Should we avoid I-4/I-95 that am (about 11 am)? If so, alternative route suggestions?

From MCO, you'd be looking at SR528 and then south on I-95. As the other comments have mentioned, you won't be seeing any issues this far south with Daytona traffic. You also shouldn't be anywhere near I-4 at all. Absolutely no need to change your route. I live in Satellite Beach and volunteered at the 500 last year. I didn't start seeing traffic really until right before I got to Daytona.

From MCO, you'd be looking at SR528 and then south on I-95. As the other comments have mentioned, you won't be seeing any issues this far south with Daytona traffic. You also shouldn't be anywhere near I-4 at all. Absolutely no need to change your route. I live in Satellite Beach and volunteered at the 500 last year. I didn't start seeing traffic really until right before I got to Daytona.

Thank you.