Check in time issues

jerjer810

So about 12 days ago carnival added earlier times for check in for the January 27th vista. We quickly

Changed to 11:00 and while I changed my parents time I started contacting the 10 people in our group.

One couple went on and they could not change to 11:00 so they logged in as one of the other couples and they could pick the 11:00am time slot. Then they logged back in as them and could not. Then they helped

Another couple change their time... all in all

Everyone but them had the option to change and did.

They called carnival numerous times

And was told it must have been full and when they told them that wasn’t the case they ended the call.

I emailed carnival and after 11 days got a reply that basically told me I was wrong... that they don’t restrict people from picking times and that they would have had the same option.

I am just blown away that no one wants to hear about it and look into it.

Has anyone else ever had an issue like this when you know others are picking earlier times and you didn’t have the same

Option.

Sorry about the crap grammar I typed this quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are the people that got the earlier times Priority or FTTF?

No one is priority or fttf. They have the most days at sea out of everyone.

It does not make sense but carnival does not want to even hear it. This tends to make me believe they know of the issue and don’t want to address it.

No one is priority or fttf. They have the most days at sea out of everyone.

It does not make sense but carnival does not want to even hear it. This tends to make me believe they know of the issue and don’t want to address it.

It has been my experience that they are reserving the earliest times for Diamond/Platinum/Suites/FTTF. I had the same issue last cruise before my mom was able to get FTTF and once she did it opened up the earliest time like I had being Platinum.

You might want to ask what color card everyone is or what type of cabin they have. Even if they are turning Platinum on this cruise, they will be Priority from the beginning and able to get the first time.

Check in time and boarding time are not the same thing. Chances are you will all be getting on the ship at the same time. Just relax.

I am well aware of that... my problem is why do some get access to the earlier time and others do not.

I was just curious if others have experienced this... that’s why I asked.

It has been my experience that they are reserving the earliest times for Diamond/Platinum/Suites/FTTF. I had the same issue last cruise before my mom was able to get FTTF and once she did it opened up the earliest time like I had being Platinum.

You might want to ask what color card everyone is or what type of cabin they have. Even if they are turning Platinum on this cruise, they will be Priority from the beginning and able to get the first time.

I had access to the first check-in time for the 5/8/17 cruise on the Legend that I booked 4/12/16. I selected our check-in time on 1/10/17(the day I got the email from Carnival about it). I turned gold on that cruise. I didn't buy FTTF until 5/4/17, four days before the cruise.

So about 12 days ago carnival added earlier times for check in for the January 27th vista. We quickly

Changed to 11:00 and while I changed my parents time I started contacting the 10 people in our group.

One couple went on and they could not change to 11:00 so they logged in as one of the other couples and they could pick the 11:00am time slot. Then they logged back in as them and could not. Then they helped

Another couple change their time... all in all

Everyone but them had the option to change and did.

They called carnival numerous times

And was told it must have been full and when they told them that wasn’t the case they ended the call.

I emailed carnival and after 11 days got a reply that basically told me I was wrong... that they don’t restrict people from picking times and that they would have had the same option.

I am just blown away that no one wants to hear about it and look into it.

Has anyone else ever had an issue like this when you know others are picking earlier times and you didn’t have the same

Option.

Sorry about the crap grammar I typed this quick.

No big deal.

I had a check-in time of 12:00 for my cruise when I completed my check-in. It was the earliest time available to me. Several months later, someone on the same cruise mentioned being able to change their check-in time. I logged in to my account and suddenly an 11:30 am time was available. I am gold and do not have FTTF.

Jerjer810, I have no idea why some people were able to change their check in time and others didn't have the same option. I figured that when it opens up, it opens up to everyone. It's strange that it doesn't.

More likely an issue with the IT, browser and computer.

I don’t see how it would be a browser or computer as 5 smart phones 3 laptops and 1 pc all tried to change their time and it still didn’t work. I truly believe that it was something on carnival end.

Why would being priority or FTTF have anything to do with what times you are allowed to pick? Or is this another one of the "Carnival is out to get Us" conspiracies. If you are Priority or FTTF, you can get into the terminal at any time you want, the time you pick does not matter. I always pick a later time so that the earlier times can be selected by those who are not priority. The logic here makes no sense.

Why would being priority or FTTF have anything to do with what times you are allowed to pick? Or is this another one of the "Carnival is out to get Us" conspiracies. If you are Priority or FTTF, you can get into the terminal at any time you want, the time you pick does not matter. I always pick a later time so that the earlier times can be selected by those who are not priority. The logic here makes no sense.

Here are my experiences and others have posted the same on different threads. We can all pretty much agree that the first slots are the first to go. I booked my Conquest cruise in August last minute and I am Platinum. I got the earliest time. Coincidence? Maybe. I don’t think so. The ship was full.

For my Glory cruise I had the earliest time of 10:30. My mom decided shortly before the cruise that she wanted to go. The earliest time available to her if I remember right was 11:30. I even changed mine to later to see if it would free up my 10:30 knowing I could arrive any time. It didn’t matter, it wasn’t an option for her to select. I know because I handle all of our bookings myself.

At about 10 days prior to the cruise FTTF popped up and I grabbed it for her. Immediately she was able to get the 10:30 slot like me.

I have a feeling Carnival is doing it like this because many people have the same mindset as you (and me in this case). If D/P/Suites/FTTF are all choosing the later times trying to “free up” the early spots for the others while still getting there first thing, it defeats the purpose of staggered check in. The masses will arrive all at once causing a backlog and reverting staggered check in to being no different than the old way.

Now when they first started the staggered check in it didn’t matter as anyone had access to the first slots but I think what I previously posted was happening and they had to adjust.

I also feel that maybe OP was experiencing some sort of glitch that could have been related to people’s boarding passes and luggage tags printing FTTF on them in error. The computer thought they had it and, therefore, may have opened up those slots to a few of them until it was corrected. No proof on that but it’s plausible.

I don’t believe it’s a conspiracy theory at all but rather Carnival’s attempt to thin out the herd if you will. You either earn or pay for the privilege of getting there early. Makes perfect sense if you think about it.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I had this trouble once before. After much searching I realized I had put under the flight information that we were coming in the morning of embarkation instead of the day before. So since our flight wouldn't come in until 1 p.m., it wouldn't let me choose an earlier time than my flight. When I fixed it to we were coming in the day before, it let me change it.

Here is my "theory" based on my experiences . Carnival knows approximately how many people are going to be on the ship. They know how many hours of boarding they have available. They multiply the hours by 2 to come up with the number of half hour boarding time slots. Then they divide the number of passenger by the number of boarding slots to determine the approximate number of passengers that will have to board in each time slot. And they load that number to the system for each time slot so that only that number of passengers can sign up for each of those time slots. This is not brain surgery. It is a sign up sheet to try to even out the passenger flow during boarding.

Here is my "theory" based on my experiences . Carnival knows approximately how many people are going to be on the ship. They know how many hours of boarding they have available. They multiply the hours by 2 to come up with the number of half hour boarding time slots. Then they divide the number of passenger by the number of boarding slots to determine the approximate number of passengers that will have to board in each time slot. And they load that number to the system for each time slot so that only that number of passengers can sign up for each of those time slots. This is not brain surgery. It is a sign up sheet to try to even out the passenger flow during boarding.

You're right, it's not brain surgery. And if people pick the times that they actually plan on showing up, things go a lot smoother. It's been experienced not only by myself, but others as well that check in times are becoming based upon status, having FTTF, or cabin type (Suite). That is the only thing that makes sense on why the earliest time slots are open for only some and not all. You can rest easy knowing that you don't need to pick a later time as it won't free it up for someone else who is not Priority/FTTF because it won't show up for them. So let staggered check in work the way it was designed and choose the one that matches as closely to when you actually intend to get there.

I 100% agree that when they first rolled it out, then yes, it was true. However, it seems like they have readjusted their train of thought on the process to make sure there isn't a large influx of passengers right at the beginning causing lines. So for all but the first 30 minute window, then it probably goes as you described. They very well may open up some early ones to everyone if there aren't a lot of Diamonds or Platinums sailing but that's just a guess.

They can't have a good idea of who will actually arrive early when you have D/P/S/FTTF able to arrive at any time regardless of the time they choose if all the early times are allotted to everyone and then have Priority show up as soon as they open. Now they have like twice as many as they were planning on - the ones that chose that time who are non Priority, and the Priority who "gave" their early slot to someone else "doing them a favor". Another thing to sort of validate what I'm saying is have you ever seen or heard of a D/P/S/FTTF person having only the latest time slots open to them in the recent future? I haven't and it's because the earliest ones are already reserved for them no matter when they book - even last minute such as myself. Again, if it's happend in the past few months, I haven't heard of it. I know it did a lot at the beginning.

So that's my theory and I'm willing to bet a drink on it because it makes sense and it's been experienced by multiple people at least since this summer. Prior to then, anyone could get the first times.

You're right, it's not brain surgery. And if people pick the times that they actually plan on showing up, things go a lot smoother. It's been experienced not only by myself, but others as well that check in times are becoming based upon status, having FTTF, or cabin type (Suite). That is the only thing that makes sense on why the earliest time slots are open for only some and not all. You can rest easy knowing that you don't need to pick a later time as it won't free it up for someone else who is not Priority/FTTF because it won't show up for them. So let staggered check in work the way it was designed and choose the one that matches as closely to when you actually intend to get there.

I 100% agree that when they first rolled it out, then yes, it was true. However, it seems like they have readjusted their train of thought on the process to make sure there isn't a large influx of passengers right at the beginning causing lines. So for all but the first 30 minute window, then it probably goes as you described. They very well may open up some early ones to everyone if there aren't a lot of Diamonds or Platinums sailing but that's just a guess.

They can't have a good idea of who will actually arrive early when you have D/P/S/FTTF able to arrive at any time regardless of the time they choose if all the early times are allotted to everyone and then have Priority show up as soon as they open. Now they have like twice as many as they were planning on - the ones that chose that time who are non Priority, and the Priority who "gave" their early slot to someone else "doing them a favor". Another thing to sort of validate what I'm saying is have you ever seen or heard of a D/P/S/FTTF person having only the latest time slots open to them in the recent future? I haven't and it's because the earliest ones are already reserved for them no matter when they book - even last minute such as myself. Again, if it's happend in the past few months, I haven't heard of it. I know it did a lot at the beginning.

So that's my theory and I'm willing to bet a drink on it because it makes sense and it's been experienced by multiple people at least since this summer. Prior to then, anyone could get the first times.

I would accept your premise if there was not a process that puts the priority people in a separate line(s). If they are doing what you are saying, why would there have to be a separate line for them? AND, all of the priority people do not show up at the same time or even early. AND, with the exception of special types of cruises, the majority of people on the ships are NOT priority passengers. So that's my theory and I will not mind drinking the drink that you are willing to bet and lose. Other than a few people that think they have it all figured out, they have absolutely no empirical proof or statistics, and could never get any, to support their theory.

I would accept your premise if there was not a process that puts the priority people in a separate line(s). If they are doing what you are saying, why would there have to be a separate line for them? AND, all of the priority people do not show up at the same time or even early. AND, with the exception of special types of cruises, the majority of people on the ships are NOT priority passengers. So that's my theory and I will not mind drinking the drink that you are willing to bet and lose. Other than a few people that think they have it all figured out, they have absolutely no empirical proof or statistics, and could never get any, to support their theory.

I understand there is a separate line, but that doesn't change the capacity of the terminal or how many people need to go to the first set of desks and then through security. Sure, they are fast tracked for lack of a better term, but the fact remains that there are still only so many employees to handle all the passengers that show up. They all are serviced by the same people.

So tell me how do you explain what I and others have experienced? It's not coincidence. I know you have a hard time believing what I say as you seem to actively seek me out to counter my posts. However, I speak the truth from what I have seen first hand. I'm still waiting for you to answer my last question from the previous post. But I don't think that you can without confirming what I already have been saying. It seems that whenever I try to provide proof of something, there are always those that say what's written doesn't matter so I won't bother.

I have a challenge for you. For your next cruise ask around on the roll call what the earliest time people are showing who aren't D/P/S/FTTF especially of those that waited to book close to sailing. If it's say noon or later, go ahead and relinquish your 11:00 or 10:30 time and have them go in right away to see if it's available for them to grab. When it's not, you have the answer. Let me know where to meet you at so I can get my free drink.

Here's one recent post that echos my observation. There are more, but they are further back and I don't have time to look for them right now.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2573130

I see no question that you asked me in your post previous to your last one. But I do see that the post that you directed me to in your last post to prove your point actually disproves your point. It clearly states that after they bought FTTF they were given a time that was later than the one given to them when they originally chose their time before they had FTTF.

I do not consciously SEEK you out to comment on your stuff. I happen to see some of your ever present posts that take hard lines on things that usually are the silliest things to take hard lines on Those hard lines are usually based on nothing more than your opinion with little or no solid evidence to back that opinion up. "Multiple people are saying the same thing" is not solid evidence of anything. I choose to comment on them because this is a site where people who pretend that they have all the answers should be called out and made to show proof of their position. And "Multiple people are saying the same thing" is your standard evidentiary submittal. And you also always seem to have to have the last word.

I see no question that you asked me in your post previous to your last one. But I do see that the post that you directed me to in your last post to prove your point actually disproves your point. It clearly states that after they bought FTTF they were given a time that was later than the one given to them when they originally chose their time before they had FTTF.

I do not consciously SEEK you out to comment on your stuff. I happen to see some of your ever present posts that take hard lines on things that usually are the silliest things to take hard lines on Those hard lines are usually based on nothing more than your opinion with little or no solid evidence to back that opinion up. "Multiple people are saying the same thing" is not solid evidence of anything. I choose to comment on them because this is a site where people who pretend that they have all the answers should be called out and made to show proof of their position. And "Multiple

people are saying the same thing" is your standard evidentiary submittal. And you also always seem to have to have the last word.

Let's revisit what I think you are talking about. This is from the thread I posted:

When I purchased FTTF, I had already completed my online documents and my printout said 1 - 2 pm. I went back in and edited my boarding information to select a new time. I picked the 10:00-10:30 time and reprinted my documents. I didn't want to take the chance of having an issue at security from a poorly trained employee.

So they never said what time they had prior to that or even if they had selected a time. However, once they had FTTF, they were able to go in and choose the 10:00-10:30 time slot which would be the earliest one.

You are missing the main one, though. I'll post here:

What you are saying matches my experience with my group this year. Anyone who bought FTTF had check in times available right away including 10-1030 and 1030-11. The rest did not have the ability to choose check in times until end of September (3/4/18 sailing) with the earliest choice being 11-1130. Later on, a couple of those cabins got FTTF and then the 2 earlier time slots populated into thier choices. It seems that Carnival is trying to further equalize check in.

So as you can see, others have experienced the same thing I have. There are more, but I don't have the time to dig back through and find them.

As far as "little to no evidence to back it up" I guess experience means nothing. Should I print out our check in times next time or isn't that good enough? I invite you to see for yourself. Please do it. And sorry but you are wrong about me saying other people have the same experiences as my "standard rebuttal" is flat out wrong. I am trying to show you that I am not the only one that this has happened to. Even when I have provided written proof of Carnival's policies in the past, I have been met with anger, belittlement, and have even been told that may be their policy in writing, but it's not in effect because other people have done things differently and whatever is written is garbage.

As far as the question you can't seem to find (and therefore answer), I can see you're having a little bit of difficulty tonight so I'll post it again: Have you ever seen or heard of a D/P/S/FTTF person having only the latest time slots open to them in the recent future?

I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know I post and will defend to the end so in that resepect yes, I will have the last word. If there's something I'm not sure about, I will say so like "I recall", "I think", or "As far as I know". What I have experienced in regards to this topic is NOT an opinion. It's fact. There's no room for interpretation for what ACTUALLY happened to me and others. Short of Carnival issuing a press release or new policy, all I can go on is what I know happened first hand. If there are a couple things anyone on here who has interacted with me on a regular and prolonged basis knows is that I believe heavily in stating facts, not fiction, and try to be as helpful as possible. I have no alternative motive but to help other cruisers and share what I know.

This is a forum for us to share our expereinces and that is what I have done and will continue to do so even without your approval. So please, just put me on your ignore list. I would rather not have to deal with this childish bantering.

You are free to do the things I suggested and find out for yourself. That is if you have a crusie coming up. If not, then you'll have to wait to form a different opinion until you hear from Carnival as nothing else will satisfy you. Have a nice night.