Tips going Up

tugboat

It comes down to this: it’s Royal Caribbean’s company. They can choose to set their pricing however they want. The only part of our opinion that matters is: whether we’re willing to pay that pricing or do we take our business else well.

Interesting approach.

They could really save their time with end of cruise surveys and just ask that question instead. I wonder why they don't if that is "the only thing that matters."

Interesting approach.

They could really save their time with end of cruise surveys and just ask that question instead. I wonder why they don't if that is "the only thing that matters."

Do you honestly think they do anything with the surveys other than job performance metrics for their employees? The only thing companies truly listen to is money.

So, if I’m understanding this correctly, for our August 2018 Liberty cruise, we have prepaid grats on our booking (though are not actually paid yet), they will be grandfathered in at the current pricing? Not that it’s really a big deal if not, but just curious. It’s only a matter of $28 for 4 pax x 7 days.

So, if I’m understanding this correctly, for our August 2018 Liberty cruise, we have prepaid grats on our booking (though are not actually paid yet), they will be grandfathered in at the current pricing? Not that it’s really a big deal if not, but just curious. It’s only a matter of $28 for 4 pax x 7 days.

Correct, if it's on your booking now, it will stay that price as long as you don't take it off the booking.

Do you honestly think they do anything with the surveys other than job performance metrics for their employees? The only thing companies truly listen to is money.

Yes, each of those questions that are asked is for a reason.

There are way more "KPIs" than you evidently realise, rather than it just about bookings made.

The service crew that work on the ships do not live the North American tip culture life and many in the US need to realize this and clear their heads!

In Australia RCI cruises factor all grats into the initial cruise price with zero grats onboard and most Australians do not tip anything to anyone ever! Cruise prices have not increased with the grats absorbsion because of market competition and staff have not left in droves.

RCI North America would be better off going down the same track as RCI AU and just let USA tippers tip away as they feel necessary,so why dont they do it? Because USA has the largest cruising population numbers in the world and the grats are just a wage subsidy collected by RCI and spread across the worldwide fleet of employees.

I agree that the price of the "daily service/gratuity charge" should be rolled into the cruise fare. Make it an additional line item like taxes/port charges.

When I started cruising with my family back in the 1990's, tipping was quite the affair. You had to bring cash, you were given an envelope, you personally gave the tip to the employee and thanked them for helping to make your cruise so wonderful.

While it's convenient not to have to worry about carrying the extra cash, it's not personal. You are just a name on your room steward's list that either has a check mark indicating if you've pre-paid gratuities or not (at least that's the case on NCL. Saw it several times during my cruise on the Escape).

I also recall when I would regularly see and converse with our cabin steward. As a general observation, we find that we generally see them less than we used to and they certainly don't want to have an extended conversation with us. Maybe that's a personality thing, or maybe it's because they used to want to make a personal connection for that tip?

We are six and $15.50 per person per day for a seven day cruise represents $651 USD for us. Add in exchange on top of it (currently around $1.22) and that takes the new RCI tips to around $794 Canadian dollars. I'd much rather see a sum that large wrapped into the fare than an extra.

I agree that the price of the "daily service/gratuity charge" should be rolled into the cruise fare. Make it an additional line item like taxes/port charges.

When I started cruising with my family back in the 1990's, tipping was quite the affair. You had to bring cash, you were given an envelope, you personally gave the tip to the employee and thanked them for helping to make your cruise so wonderful.

While it's convenient not to have to worry about carrying the extra cash, it's not personal. You are just a name on your room steward's list that either has a check mark indicating if you've pre-paid gratuities or not (at least that's the case on NCL. Saw it several times during my cruise on the Escape).

I also recall when I would regularly see and converse with our cabin steward. As a general observation, we find that we generally see them less than we used to and they certainly don't want to have an extended conversation with us. Maybe that's a personality thing, or maybe it's because they used to want to make a personal connection for that tip?

We are six and $15.50 per person per day for a seven day cruise represents $651 USD for us. Add in exchange on top of it (currently around $1.22) and that takes the new RCI tips to around $794 Canadian dollars. I'd much rather see a sum that large wrapped into the fare than an extra.

If you are going to pay it anyways, why does it matter if it is rolled into the fare or not?

If you are going to pay it anyways, why does it matter if it is rolled into the fare or not?

Some would like arrangement that so gratuities cannot be removed at guest services.

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

Some would like arrangement that so gratuities cannot be removed at guest services.

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

I understand that, but might cause some issues. I was more questioning the person that said the cost of grats were to much and should be rolled in. They will not be rolled in at the same price more than likely, they would raise the cost to cover, so it would not make it cheaper.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

We are not there yet - only 14.50 for now.

True enough. But the fact is when I'm budgeting for any future trip, I will have to take this into consideration when looking to book a cruise for my entire family. This is one of those variables that I now have to know across all lines and factor into my vacation costs when I am comparing cruises across various lines.

This is why I would like to see it presented as part of the cruise fare rather than an amount I have to remember per cruise line, as Rukkian was wondering.

With the exchange, flights to Florida and increasing incidentals, as much as my family loves to cruise it is becoming more and more challenging financially.

The good news is that I have parents who are willing to babysit my children for an extended period of time, which is why hubby and I are able to cruise on the Brilliance in May. Tips are $351 USD for the 13 nights but we decided to pass on the deluxe drink package which would have run us $1288.56 (or $1572 canadian). Seems unrealistically expensive to me.

Tips for our 15 nt. TA in April on X will be $435. If we took a staycation and ate all meals out, it would cost us at least $300 in tips if we only ate at mid priced chains. I'd still have to make my bed and clean up after myself - well worth $135 to me.

I'm a light drinker, so I can't even imagine paying over $1,000 for liquor, but was wondering if people who take longer cruises still buy the package or is it more of 7 party thing?

Yes they will - EU regulations require it!

Or are you seriously suggesting they want to be sued over it (again) since we all know the EU requires tips can be removed? :rolleyes:

As already said, tips can be removed where service is unsatisfactory. That's their policy. :rolleyes:

As already said, tips can be removed where service is unsatisfactory. That's their policy. :rolleyes:

No it can be removed - period!

As EU law requires it to be removable!

There is no obligation to discuss it first.... and unsatisfactory can be anything.... like too much begging for tips ;p

But what are we discussing here anyway? :confused:

"I want to remove the gratuity!"

"Would you like to let us know why?"

"No - just remove it!"

End of story! :p

I tried calling RCCVL ti morning to prepay gratuities and the office was closed. I then went to my reservation on the website to add prepaid gratuities and couldn't figure out how to do it. Since today is the last day at the old rate, I guess I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

I tried calling RCCVL ti morning to prepay gratuities and the office was closed. I then went to my reservation on the website to add prepaid gratuities and couldn't figure out how to do it. Since today is the last day at the old rate, I guess I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

Call RC and choose the function to make a new reservation, Those people are on duty 24x7. They will help you.

According to the info from rci, any cruise booked before tomorrow, and that had grats paid before sailing can use the lower rate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app