Advice on Carrying Passports in Ports of Call

dlh136

And that is where the ship's officers will find them in case you have an emergency in port also. :)

Agree....mine are in the safe...passport card is in my pocket. :cool:

Seriously? Maybe some people cannot look after themselves but I sure can. And I much more trust me to look after my one passport than some stranger who is looking after 6000 of them.

Agree.

Oops. Perhaps this thread started on the RCI forum, but it is now on the very generalized "Ask a Cruise Question" forum, so all cruise line policies are open for discussion. Even on RCI, if the cruise is, for example, from Hong Kong to the Philippines or Vietnam, yes, the designated officer will collect all passports at embarkation. I'm sure everyone booked on those cruises will peacefully comply.

Nope. The OP of this thread started it on this forum and never mentioned in their original thread what cruise line they are sailing on. Looks like the OP will be cruising with RC (Oasis) but just asked about specific ports in the Western Caribbean with passport concerns.

I just got back from Cuba and you have to take your passport off the ship with you because you have to show it at customs both leaving and returning. I kept it in my moneybelt along with my extra Cuban cash (CUC's).

When going to any other destination, though, I take a photocopy of my passport with me. I never take the actual passport off the ship.

Many years ago when we started cruising the ship held ALL passports that were not US. They were given back on the last night. These passports couldn't be taken off the ship. Stolen passports get BIG $$$. Just take your ship's card and driver's license with you to get back on the ship. We have been on 100+ cruises since 1985 and our passports are always locked in our safe!