Advice on Carrying Passports in Ports of Call

dlh136

Stopping in Falmouth and Cozumel for shore excursions. Any recommendations on how I should carry everyone's passports (DW, myself and two teenagers). We would like to go to the typical beach resorts for a day on the sand/surf - should I get a fanny pack and a waterproof bag? Thanks for your advice.

they will always tell you to take a photo ID .. we usually take our driver's lic as they - like the ship card and credit cards - are waterproof (as is cash)

IME this is sometimes asked for by the port security ... the ship has your photo in their 'system' .... you'll notice that when they scan your card on or off your photo (the one they took at check-in) pops up on the screen ... SOME ports want to see a photo to match to your ship card. Last time I was ashore in Nassau they wanted this .... but it was a few years back.

if concerned about the passport thing, make color copies of the picture/info page and carry these OR take photos with your phone if you plan to carry a phone. this won't replace the actual passport but in a clinch might help ....

I too would carry a drivers license. Always keep it with you.

But do leave that passport on the ship.

The only time I ever carry a passport in port are the few ports around the world where it is a requirement. Otherwise for the reasons I mentioned I keep it on the ship.

Leave jewelry and other valuables on the ship.

Don't take all of your credit cards, cash with you. Just take what you think you need.

I do agree with the previous post which is once on the ship to confirm if you need another id beyond your key card. It really is not worth taking a copy of your passport. It does nothing for you. I know some people do it but a copy is not official.

Keith

Stopping in Falmouth and Cozumel for shore excursions. Any recommendations on how I should carry everyone's passports (DW, myself and two teenagers). We would like to go to the typical beach resorts for a day on the sand/surf - should I get a fanny pack and a waterproof bag? Thanks for your advice.

Look on Amazon for waterproof water wallets.

Take a picture on your phone of your passport info page.... Once when disembarking Royal told us we had to have our passport to board back on the ship (we are from UK, sailing in the Caribbean) and we said we didn't feel comfortable taking our passport with us, so they said we could just take a picture on our phone of our passport photo page.

The only reason you would need your passport is if you are late getting back to the ship and they leave without you, you'll need a passport to fly to another island (flights between two countries) but if this happens they will go to your cabin and find your passports and leave them with the port agent to give to you. They can open your room safe so just leave them in your safe.

Thanks for the advice. No passports, just photo ID for the adults, cash and a credit card for any major purchases. I assume US dollars are fine in Jamaica and Mexico.

Yep, US dollars are fine.

The items you mention will fit in a water wallet no problem.

Many people are not aware that Cruise Lines post the name and local phone number of their Port Agent in each port in the daily newsletter (or if they are called by any other name).

We always throw the daily newsletter into our knapsack as this person is a valuable LOCAL resource to contact in case of trouble or emergency. Fortunately we have never had to do this, but just to keep in mind.

I have a color photo of the signature page from my passport. I take that with me at ports of call and I leave the real passport in my cabin's safe even if I only require the ship's card. Of course where required by that countries customs authorities, I take my real passport.

I have a color photo of the signature page from my passport. I take that with me at ports of call and I leave the real passport in my cabin's safe even if I only require the ship's card. Of course where required by that countries customs authorities, I take my real passport.

This is our process also.

The last time we renewed our passport, we also got a passport card. It is the size of a drivers license. We take that ashore for our photo ID. We like it because it doesn’t have our address on it like a DL does.

Here is a caveat based on personal experience. We did a B2B2B in May, Amsterdam-Amsterdam-Amsterdam. The first time off in Amsterdam we were advised in the Compass to leave the passports aboard and just take photo ID. Returning, that was not needed.

The next time off we left the passports on the ship and were refused reboarding without them because the next port was not in the EU and they needed to stamp the passports with the exit stamp. We had one of the party still on the ship but she had turned her cell phone off thinking she no calls to make. We sat in purgatory for an hour and they then let one of go on board. After another hour, he had managed to get the passports and returned. In a minute we were back on board.

So, the bottom line is that there are always exceptions to the best thought out rule and double check the requirements before you leave the ship without the prized little book.

Jim

I always leave it on board as well unless specified by the cruise line not to do so. Make sure you do bring a picture ID card as once we had in Nassau and made us wait for 1 hour until a person from the cruise line identifies us with our cruise card.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

Another vote for the passport card. We leave our book passports in the safe on the ship, and just take the passport card that has our photo on it. No need for DL with those. Unless you are renting a car of course.

I simply slip my passport card, sea pass card, cash, and my credit card in my pocket. No purse, wallet, bag...etc. needed.

We almost always take our passports but we've never needed them so far. In fact, I can't remember the last time we were asked for photo ID getting back on the ship. I've read here that if you cannot make it back to the ship for some reason, the cruise ship staff will give your passports to the port authority. In the extremely rare event that should happen, I'd rather have it with me. Personal preference really.

We almost always take our passports but we've never needed them so far. In fact, I can't remember the last time we were asked for photo ID getting back on the ship. I've read here that if you cannot make it back to the ship for some reason, the cruise ship staff will give your passports to the port authority. In the extremely rare event that should happen, I'd rather have it with me. Personal preference really.

The only two places photo ID has routinely been asked for, in my experience, is San Juan Puerto Rico and Nassau, and that is without exception.

Falmouth and Cozumel are two places that often want to see both the cruise card and a picture ID to get back into the port. The ship only uses the cruise card. Coz is also the one Caribbean port that often has a dog team on the dock to make sure you don't bring food onto the island.

Falmouth and Cozumel are two places that often want to see both the cruise card and a picture ID to get back into the port. The ship only uses the cruise card. Coz is also the one Caribbean port that often has a dog team on the dock to make sure you don't bring food onto the island.

Two out of three of our last cruises were western and while we had photo ID at the ready, we were never asked. Maybe I just have an honest face. ;)