Why doesn't the Breakaway do timed Internet packages?

One of the promos is 250 minutes, which seems like a lot, but on the BA they offer you a set amount at 1000mb's. Land on a video heavy site, and you can eat that up in 10 minutes easily.

On the Gem they do it by time. Anyone know the reason for the difference?

The data plan is much better than minutes. You were just on the Breakaway and know that you’re not going to stream a gig of data in 10 minutes over the satellite.

Is it easy to see how much you have used? We had internet that way in another cruise line and it was hard to figure out our usage.

Yes. On the breakaway there was multiple pages you can view how much data you have left and how much you used:

After you log in, you have this page:

23548122_10159793135655724_2055872420_n.png

Breakaway has an older portal system that only measure in data, not time per account. I am wondering if the refurb next year will see it replaced with a time based system. I find data based to be annoying. You have to be very smart with your phone to avoid unexpected app data gobbling. When I want to check the news, If a video launches 10GB are gone before I know it. Managing access for teens is very hard to. So much content has gone video and image. If I could to to something like "cnn.com/textonly" I'd be much happier. We made a 1,000MB plan last 12 days between two of us, but it wasn't easy.