2019 Alaska booking question

montylee

I may have posted the following in the wrong forum, so I'll try here.

For Princess (or maybe Holland), when is the historical best time to book for an Alaska cruise to get a good price. I'm looking at 2019, and several lines have released their schedules. But for Princess, all "deals" are for cruises up to April 2019. Booking a summer 2019 Alaska cruise results in regular rack price. Most deals seem to be for 3rd or 4th additions, which I'm not interested in. Looking primarily at 7-day, round-trip not required.

So when should I start looking? NOTE: I realize booking now may get a better cabin. I'm willing to sacrifice that in order to save money.

Thanks.

We got a lower price on Princess before for sailing, not booking, on the month of May, probably due to in-school season. The next sailing after ours in June is already priced higher at the same time we booked around August prior. After booking, there were deals offered for perks like free drink packages, gratuities and upgrade, whose values can be translated to lower cruise price for balcony cabins and up. We did not come across any direct price reduction for our sailing. Others may have a different experience though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We got a lower price on Princess before for sailing, not booking, on the month of May, probably due to in-school season. The next sailing after ours in June is already priced higher at the same time we booked around August prior. After booking, there were deals offered for perks like free drink packages, gratuities and upgrade, whose values can be translated to lower cruise price for balcony cabins and up. We did not come across any direct price reduction for our sailing. Others may have a different experience though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because Alaska 2019 was just opened for booking. many of those booking perks will start coming out in Spring 2018 or later.

Also note, if you book now, you can re-price your cabin if the price is lower or if a better promo comes out (before final payment). For example, next summer, Sip and Sail comes out. You can re-fare it with that promo. Though - a lot of times you may lose something or gain something when you do this. For example, some people who book with a beverage package may find the price lower later but they may lose the beverage package. You have to calculate what is the better price. Just make sure you book with someone that doesn't charge you to re-price the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

I am wondering when the summer 2020 bookings will open up? I would love to know way in advance how much my trip will cost. Thought you could tell me when your 2019's came open, then I could guesstimate for the 2020's.

Thanks so much!

I am wondering when the summer 2020 bookings will open up? I would love to know way in advance how much my trip will cost. Thought you could tell me when your 2019's came open, then I could guesstimate for the 2020's.

Thanks so much!

When the schedule comes out varies by cruise line, so that is best asked on the board for the cruise line you are interested in. As the OP was asking about Princess and Holland America, their schedule for 2020 will come out late this coming December or next January.

Thanks so much!

The Alaska cruises have been available to book earlier and earlier. When I booked my first Alaska cruise for 2007 - it wasn't available to book until April 2006. Now most of the major cruise lines had their 2019 Alaska cruises available to book before the end of 2017.

Also note, if you book now, you can re-price your cabin if the price is lower or if a better promo comes out (before final payment). For example, next summer, Sip and Sail comes out. You can re-fare it with that promo. Though - a lot of times you may lose something or gain something when you do this. For example, some people who book with a beverage package may find the price lower later but they may lose the beverage package. You have to calculate what is the better price. Just make sure you book with someone that doesn't charge you to re-price the cruise.

This is what I would do, too. Book what you want now, and keep checking for price drops. I am not patient enough to wait until after the final payment date to pick up cruise bargains!