Viator Tours In Naples of Pompeii question.

MikeACY

We are thinking of booking thru Viator of Mt Veruvius and Pompeii. Has anyone taken this tour? They say they pick up at the cruise port. We will be in Naples in June on the NCL Epic. Is the pick up point close to the pier?

Thank you

Mike

Agreed. Be very careful that your tour doesn't end up being through Green Line Tours. Our experience with them in Rome was less than favourable. I would not use them again, but when we booked our tours, it was through Viator and we didn't know who we were getting until we printed our chits.

The two previous posts, along with with our similar issues with Viator (in other locations, not in Naples) is the reason we now deal directly with tour vendors, not through brokers. Yes, they show some great prices...but customer service issues are a different matter.

I agree with booking a local vendor. Consolidators such as Viator charge less but you never know. Successful local companies thrive on their reputations. Consolidators take business from hard working local companies trying hard to make a living.

I too would go with one of the local vendors so you know who you are dealing with.

The good news is you have lots of choices for a local operator so that is the way we go.

The only time I use a vendor like the one you are asking about is in a place where there are very few local operators but that is not the case here.

Keith

I occasionally book through Viator if they have an offer such as book 3 tours and get third half price

however I prefer to find the actual tour operator and compare their prices booking direct

another option at Naples port is the line of taxis which have fixed fare tours to places such as Pompeii and mount Vesuvius

taxi drivers English may vary but the most proficient will be out of their cabs and greeting you at port gates to impress you with their fluency

they will drop you off at the site and arrange to pick you up a stated time later-usually 2 hours

they are not able to go into site with you but will tell you where guides are to be hired

no money changes hands until they pick you up and return you to the ship