Which ship for Alaska - Royal, Coral, Golden or Island?

~*Lou*~

Help Please! 1st time Princess cruiser here also planning Alaska 2019 cruise.

We are picking the cruise based on the date that works for us, not the ship, so looking at the Island Princess in July, Southbound.

I see there are 2 different types of balconies. I have read we want to be on the Port side for the southern journey but which balcony do we want? Some comments on this thread mention balconies that are deeper then others behind the life boats.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN - Behind the life boats? Do the life boats obscure the view one way or the other? Any information provided will be a big help!

Thanks!!!!

Joyful, I do not know of any balconies behind the lifeboats on these ships.

The Royal and Regal have obstructed view balconies. On the Coral and Island, I am thinking that it is the Obstructed Ocean View cabins.

Perhaps the deeper balconies you are thinking about are the balconies on Caribe Deck?

Hope this helps!

Are the forward "secret" deck 8 balconies also completely covered?

No, they are not. They have some cover I think but if it is raining, it is going to hit you as you are facing forward. It is really windy upfront - make sure you have ear and head protection when you are there. It is great viewing and you are right below the bridge.

Hello

We haven't sailed with Princess before but will sail with Princess to Alaska in 2019 (southbound from Whittier to Vancouver).

We have a choice of 4 ships - Coral, Golden, Royal and Island. We are a family of 4 (children will be 9 & 11 at time of cruise) and we'll be in an internal quad share cabin.

Priorities are:

1. possibility of an indoor swim for the children,

2. availability of ice cream,

3. sports facilities (golf? soccer?) and

4. good outdoor viewing spaces (front? aft? easy deck to move form side to side?).

Many thanks for any suggestions

Lou

Our first Princess cruise was from Whittier to Vancouver on the Coral. Loved it. In fact, we are leaving in 21 days on the Coral through the Panama Canal. Have fun!

For those who have sailed on the Coral to Alaska, can you give me your opinion of this cabin: May 29, 2019 NB sailing. Cat BE balcony cabin E625. This is on starboard side, Emerald deck 8, aft covered balcony. It is the first cabin behind the lifeboats. I am thinking there would be only one cabin besides us, a better view with lifeboats to the left. I have a courtesy hold on it for a few days but all of the BE cabins for this particular sailing are open at this point. Did I make a good choice or should I move further aft?

After doing more research and looking at the photos of the aft deck 8 balconies I am thinking of changing to the very last one, E703, on the starboard side for a NB cruise. This balcony is covered and has a view to the aft. Anyone ever stayed here? My biggest concern will be the wind being a problem the further back I am. But since this stern corner cabin appears to have a view to the back with no metal barrier to look around that may outweigh and extra wind. This cabin is right over the Universal Lounge. Will I be able to hear noise/music coming up though the floor at night? This is a major concern for me.

After doing more research and looking at the photos of the aft deck 8 balconies I am thinking of changing to the very last one, E703, on the starboard side for a NB cruise. This balcony is covered and has a view to the aft. Anyone ever stayed here? My biggest concern will be the wind being a problem the further back I am. But since this stern corner cabin appears to have a view to the back with no metal barrier to look around that may outweigh and extra wind. This cabin is right over the Universal Lounge. Will I be able to hear noise/music coming up though the floor at night? This is a major concern for me.

You may get more responses if you start a new thread such as "Best balconies for Alaska on Coral Princess" or something like that.

It has been awhile since I have been on the Coral but I do like the location of those balconies and you are quickly outside for a true aft view.

Aft facing balconies do not get much wind. The only way an aft facing balcony will get wind is if there is a tail wind that is blowing faster than the ship is moving.

Aft facing balconies do not get much wind. The only way an aft facing balcony will get wind is if there is a tail wind that is blowing faster than the ship is moving.

Very good to know. What about the noise level of the aft deck 8 cabins being located above Universe Lounge? I was once in a suite on the Emerald Princess that was on deck 8, over Club Fusion. The loud music playing late into the night ruined the cruise for me. I vowed to never take an aft cabin on deck 8 again. Unfortunately, there are no aft balcony cabins on any other decks on the Coral Princess.