Have you ever had an Uber wait while you bought wine?

reno3

We are flying into FLL and cruising out of port of Miami. We usually fly in the day

before but this time we can't. We would take an Uber from FLL to the Publix near the port of Miami to buy wine, etc. Wondering if we ask the driver to wait and pay him extra or do we have him drop us off and get another Uber for the trip from Publix to the port?

Anyone ever do this?

Uber drivers are happy to wait while you go shopping. You are still on the clock and they are paid a per minute waiting rate. I would also add a nice tip through the app when you get to the port. Don’t forget to give them a good rating too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My sister did this while we were in FLL on the Uber ride to the port in Ft Lauderdale. There is a store called Total Wine and they offer a “buy online, pick up in store” option. So she bought the wine on her phone, and we had the Uber driver go there first, then to Starbucks, and then to the ship. No problems at all. Just let them know what you want to do and they will likely be very accommodating. He had us do something in the app to add a stop or something but it was fine. We did tip him nicely and the original fare did go up so the app did accommodate the request properly. Since we could do the wine and Starbucks orders online, the stops were very quick.

As mentioned they will wait as a cost or you could just take two once way drives.

I would do the latter so you don't rush around.

Keith

When I drove for Uber in 2015, wait time charge was $0.10/minute. If you take less than an hour to shop, it’s cost effective to just have the driver wait for you.

I had many passengers who did some shopping on their way home from the airport. The diversion only added a few dollars to their trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can know add a stop which is a good thing to do. They ask that you keep the stop to 3 minutes or less.

There won't be a stop where you can pre-purchase liquor close to the Port Of Miami like Total Wine on 17th since the closest one to the port is over on Miami Beach. What you can do is add the stop for Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale since it's so close to the airport and have your stuff waiting for you if it's a larger amount you are picking up.

If you are only getting a few bottles, have them stop at the Whole Foods in downtown Miami as they have a nice wine selection and it's close.

Thank you. I was thinking of going from FLL to Publix on 1776 Biscayne Blvd and then to the port of Miami. This seems like the most convenient route? Actually looks like about the same for Publix or Whole Foods. I guess I will check prices. I would think Publix is cheaper than Whole Foods?

Edited by reno3

Thank you. I was thinking of going from FLL to Publix on 1776 Biscayne Blvd and then to the port of Miami. This seems like the most convenient route? Actually looks like about the same for Publix or Whole Foods. I guess I will check prices. I would think Publix is cheaper than Whole Foods?

For your Uber driver to wait, the parking garage at that Publix is free as is the Whole Foods, you will just need to get the parking ticket validated inside when you purchase your wine at Whole Foods.

The parking garage for that Publix is located on the side of Publix on NE 17th Terrace.

The parking garage for Whole Foods is located in the back of the store on SE 2nd.

Both of those store have great wine selections. If you go to that Publix, walk inside and it’s all the way to the left in the front of the store by the pharmacy. If you go to Total Wine, it’s in the back corner by the prepared foods, past the seafood and butcher departments.

Wine prices are about the same at both stores but Publix will sometimes have specials or even a Buy One Get One going on a few wines. That Publix can have longer lines depending on the day and time.

I will tell you that having them wait more than the 3 minutes may cause your rating to go down. Uber is working on raising the wait time to way more per minute, it just hasn’t reached Miami yet.

For your Uber driver to wait, the parking garage at that Publix is free as is the Whole Foods, you will just need to get the parking ticket validated inside when you purchase your wine at Whole Foods.

The parking garage for that Publix is located on the side of Publix on NE 17th Terrace.

The parking garage for Whole Foods is located in the back of the store on SE 2nd.

Both of those store have great wine selections. If you go to that Publix, walk inside and it’s all the way to the left in the front of the store by the pharmacy. If you go to Total Wine, it’s in the back corner by the prepared foods, past the seafood and butcher departments.

Wine prices are about the same at both stores but Publix will sometimes have specials or even a Buy One Get One going on a few wines. That Publix can have longer lines depending on the day and time.

I will tell you that having them wait more than the 3 minutes may cause your rating to go down. Uber is working on raising the wait time to way more per minute, it just hasn’t reached Miami yet.

Thank you so much for the information.

I figure I will offer the Uber driver the amount to wait for us that I would pay for another

Uber to take us to the port and he/she can let me know if they will wait or I get another Uber. Since we need

an XL it should be around $15-$20 for the second Uber. I don't want to deal with luggage (4 adults) twice.

We have decided to take 2 Ubers after all. Thank you again to everyone for your help.

If you don't want to deal with your luggage, you can always have the first Uber driver bring you to the pier and drop off your luggage and then they can bring you back to either CVS which will have wine and is close or to Whole Foods. That way you can peacefully shop and won't have to struggle with your luggage.

The Uber driver can take the tunnel off of 95 which will easily bring you to the port without all the downtown traffic and lights. There is a CVS right on Biscayne Blvd if you make a left out of the port. It won't have the great collection that Whole Foods has but it's closer.