Cruise Selection by Destination

goldenshellback

I feel rather silly asking this question as I spent 7 years living in Modern Luxury as a former crew member. I thought I knew a thing or two about cruising but I've been having a difficult time finding a cruise that stops in Jamaica and eastern Caribbean.

A little over two years ago my parents were to join me in Miami after the crossing to sail the Caymens, ABC's, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, SXM, St. Thomas and a few others.

Unfortunately my father fell ill and only me mums was able to sail.

Mum has since passed and I've decided to take dad on the trip he missed.

His only wish is that we stop in Jamaica (me mums favourite place) along with the places I enjoyed/knew the most.

This leaves me with trying to find a voyage that sails to Jamaica (Ocho Rios preferred), Barbados, SXM, and Puerto Rico.

Thus far, all I've found are cruises that sail Jamaica, and the southern/eastern Caribbean.

Would anyone happen to know of any cruise that sails Jamaica and EC?

Ideally it'd be a single cruise since my father isn't a fan of the idea of disembarking and going through checkin a second time but I personally have no issue doing so. Even a partial cruise to join another ship at a different port.

At this point, I'm no longer tied to a specific line so I'll entertain anything.

Edited by goldenshellback

Hi Goldenshellback

Welcome to cruise critic

Have you tried a travel agent?

Details that are needed whether asking here or with a T.A. are some specifics. Such as, how long are you willing to sail for, time of year you would like to travel, what is your budget (included would be where are you travelling from)

As you pointed out Jamaica isn't in the Eastern Caribbean, so you will likely have to be looking at two cruises. There are options where ships sail two different routes back to back, so you would have the possibility of remaining on the same ship and if you plan well in advance, you should be able to keep the same cabin, so it would be a seamless trip. The only issue would be that you are not likely be able to go to all the islands you had mentioned because you are narrowing the options. As I suggested, if you can't do the research yourself, find a travel agent to help.

good luck

have a great cruise

In recent years nearly every cruise line has abandoned the longer (14+ days) Caribbean cruises in favor of shorter cruises (7-11 days) along with alternating itineraries. The idea is to tap into the huge American market for cruises that can fit into a single week of vacation (Americans take shorter vacations/holidays than most folks in Europe). Jamaica fits into the so-called "Western Caribbean" itineraries while most of your other islands are in either Eastern or Southern Caribbean itineraries. It is possible to get what you want by using a combination (back to back) cruises either on the same line/ship...or by actually changing lines/ships on a turn around day...generally in Miami or Ft Lauderdale. So instead of looking for a single cruise, start exploring a combination of 2 cruises. There are some decent cruise data bases operated by a few large cruise agencies which can be helpful. You might want to look for a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise that will get you to Jamaica and then combine it with a longer 10 or 11 day cruise that will get you deeper into the Caribbean to the EC area. Keep in mind that San Juan (PR), St Maarten and St Thomas have all been severely damaged by the recent hurricanes and will not be up to their normal tourist levels until next year.

Hank

Thanks everyone for the advice.

From the sounds of it my best option is to BTB it.

That actually works well for me since I'd also like to sail out of Miami and visit the few places I've not seen (Belize, Honduras, Columbia)

I could leave early from one cruise and rejoin another ship for the EC side.

Just thinking about the budget side. Would rather not do that.

I do realize SJU, STT, BVI and SXM have taken a serious hit since I did head down for a "vacation" to help a friend rebuild in Saunders SXM. Regardless, the trip is about the places I've called home, not the tourist value.

Anyhow, thanks again everyone.

BTB I will be.

Cheers