Will the ship be loaded with kids?

Banana15

Hey everyone!

We are currently looking at sailing NCL Jade April 12-22 (2019). Easter is the 21st that year, so is it a safe bet that the ship is going to be loaded with children?

I have heard some people say that people don't typically do 10 day cruises with kids, but what do you guys think?

Generally once a cruise is over 7 days in length.. the amount of families/kids drops off VERY quickly and the average age of the cruises increases since a lot of younger people aren't able to take more than a week off work/school.

Generally once a cruise is over 7 days in length.. the amount of families/kids drops off VERY quickly and the average age of the cruises increases since a lot of younger people aren't able to take more than a week off work/school.

Even with it being spring break for most kids? I know they usually get a good 7-9 days off right around Easter.

Unfortunately, I know one year it can be the week before and the next it's the week after. It's so unpredictable.

We did a 10 day cruise in April of 2017 with our kids for Spring Break. It ran Saturday to Tuesday.

PACKED full of kids. Did then to be more teens then the younger ones.

Our kids were actually off for spring break those exact days but even those that weren't most were only missing a couple of days of school and parents decided it was worth it.

So yeah, I'd say you will have quiet a few kids on board.

we are doing a 10 day on the Jade this year over Easter with our two kids (10 and 12). The kids are off the whole week before Easter, and the Monday after. So they will only be missing one day- the Friday the cruise starts. We will fly to FL Thursday night after school.

We did a 10 day cruise in April of 2017 with our kids for Spring Break. It ran Saturday to Tuesday.

PACKED full of kids. Did then to be more teens then the younger ones.

Our kids were actually off for spring break those exact days but even those that weren't most were only missing a couple of days of school and parents decided it was worth it.

So yeah, I'd say you will have quiet a few kids on board.

That is definitely my concern. I can honestly say that I would be would to pull my kid out for an extra day or two. It's not like they really do anything in schools the days leading up to spring break.

I see another sailing (same itinerary) in March, but then I worry we'll end up with college spring breakers. So I am not sure either one would work.

So, the other sailing is March 1-11 (2019)....it appears that most colleges don't start spring break until mid-month, but the ones that DO have sb earlier are around 3-5. If the ship is already gone by the 1st, what are the odds of a college student missing tests to leave a few days early? It seems less likely than the chance of kids on the April sailing, no?

I wouldn't think a 10 day cruise would be a popular choice for college kids traveling alone (partying together as a group) because of the cost. They are much more likely to be on the 3 or 4 nighters. The ones on this itinerary will likely be with families.

As an FYI, my kid's spring break is always the last week of March, regardless of when Easter is.... not all districts time theirs with Easter.

I wouldn't think a 10 day cruise would be a popular choice for college kids traveling alone (partying together as a group) because of the cost. They are much more likely to be on the 3 or 4 nighters. The ones on this itinerary will likely be with families.

As an FYI, my kid's spring break is always the last week of March, regardless of when Easter is.... not all districts time theirs with Easter.

That's what I thought as well. The price is over $1000, so I doubt many college kids can afford that, aside from those whose parents pay. But again, I couldn't imagine leaving two days early for a trip, when there are usually tests happening the days right before SB.

As for the Easter break, my son always has his right around Easter. For 2018. he has the Friday before Easter and then the full week after. We are in NC and I believe a lot of the southern states are set up that way.

All school systems give springbreaks at different times, some in March and some in April. But with that said the number does drop off after 7 night sailings being full of kids. Just assume there will be a fair amount aboard, maybe not as many as usual but enough.

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

I didn't think of that....so in this case, it would actually be the exact week of the sailing. :o

Oops, you are right, there will be more kids than usual. I have 2 college students who have a week off in March, there is no way they’d take a 10 day cruise and miss classes, however I might take their younger siblings out an extra couple of days.

Oops, you are right, there will be more kids than usual. I have 2 college students who have a week off in March, there is no way they’d take a 10 day cruise and miss classes, however I might take their younger siblings out an extra couple of days.

Do you know when you're college kids begin their spring break? Have you ever noticed it being March 1st or 2nd?

That is definitely my concern. I can honestly say that I would be would to pull my kid out for an extra day or two. It's not like they really do anything in schools the days leading up to spring break.

I see another sailing (same itinerary) in March, but then I worry we'll end up with college spring breakers. So I am not sure either one would work.

My kids were in private school so it was nothing to pull kids it for an extra day or two for a longer cruise. The school okayed it and a lot of times that longer ones would disconnected.

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

I wanted to add with year round schooling that many systems now follow kids are off weeks all year long. I do agree that less kids will be found on a ten day cruise versus a 7 or less. We traveled on Holland America in July on a 10 day a few years ago with less than 25 kids on the entire cruise. Certain lines have fewer kids even in summer..

It looks like there aren’t any before March 3rd. I just have to hope it stays the same for 2019.

For this year, my university begins spring break on Monday, March 5th. However, many students do not have classes on Fridays, and so for them spring break essentially starts on March 2nd.

The other thing to consider is whether other expenses (hotel, airfare) will be more expensive due to Spring Break. We've always cruised in Jan/Feb, and are doing a Spring Break this year for the first time. Not only is the cruise more expensive, but airfare is double and hotels are in short demand. Something to think about if you'll be traveling to port and you have the flexibility to choose another sailing.

Hey everyone!

We are currently looking at sailing NCL Jade April 12-22 (2019). Easter is the 21st that year, so is it a safe bet that the ship is going to be loaded with children?

I have heard some people say that people don't typically do 10 day cruises with kids, but what do you guys think?

You are likely to have a lot of HS and under children. Won't see many college kids, because finals usually begin around May 1st.

I think you will have quite a few families on board especially if that is when Easter break falls for them. Depending on the region it can be any time from March - April!

I agree that sailings longer than 7 nights have fewer kids. However, I (even as a parent) seek out longer sailings. We have done 7, 10 and 18 night cruises with our four children under the age of 10. With the longer sailings, the kids clubs are more intimate and the kids actually get to know other kids, yet they aren't overwhelmed with the number of kids! So there is an advantage to sailing the longer ones.

That being said, as many have stated above, some people simply can't take that time away from work/school. If you aren't a kid fan, I would have the expectation of there being lots and being pleasantly surprised if there are few :)