(Slightly less so) Cheapo dad's trip report on Independence of the Seas

Yah. Was looking forward to your review. You write so well with an amazing sense of humor. And I love how you take us through all the details. Plus I'm like you in that we really enjoy our family time and cruises but we don't go for all the extras.

So look forward to reading more. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Hi, really excited to read this report...was on this sailing, and was considering posting my own (and my first), but I'm sure 95% percent will be covered by you! I know you haven't given too much away yet, but I'm hopeful that you and your family had as amazing of a time as my family did (despite some of the negative reviews/comments I had read in advance about RC, Indy, MDR's etc.)...overall, it was an excellent cruise/vacation for me, my wife, and 1 and 3 year-old boys...I may be able to provide a slightly different perspective to some things from that regard (and things like Royal Babies/Tots, Adventure Ocean etc)....anyways, thanks for taking the time to compile and look forward to following along!

Edited by cyclone1414

Thanks for everyone in following along this trip report. In interest of time and space, I won’t thank each person individually. Just know that I appreciate all the support and well wishes.

Similar to all the “As seen on TV” infomercials, I can give everyone a great deal for reading. For the first 100 people that subscribes to my trip report, I will also throw in my first two trip report totally free of charge!

Think about it, that’s buy one get two free deal! This offer is only available for a limited time during the New Year special. So act quickly to be the first 100 subscribers to take advantage of this once in a lifetime bonus offer (Cheapo dad needs $$ to pay for the holiday cruise)...

Did you ask for OBC?

Yeah, I tried but the dang Guest Services line was just way too long. Think they never had more than 2 people working at the counter. It’s their way to discourage people from complaining.

Instead, I will just be like 90% of the people and complain here at CC with the same result I would get if I stood in line at Guest Services…

Hi Harry, glad to see your review. You are off to your great start as usual.:)

Hi, Ken,

Aren’t you in Florida now getting ready to sail tomorrow? We froze our butts off on Saturday morning in Miami after coming back from the heat in the Caribbean.

Have a great cruise.

24553607567_08fe000dee_b.jpg

Hi, really excited to read this report...was on this sailing, and was considering posting my own (and my first), but I'm sure 95% percent will be covered by you! I know you haven't given too much away yet, but I'm hopeful that you and your family had as amazing of a time as my family did (despite some of the negative reviews/comments I had read in advance about RC, Indy, MDR's etc.)...overall, it was an excellent cruise/vacation for me, my wife, and 1 and 3 year-old boys...I may be able to provide a slightly different perspective to some things from that regard (and things like Royal Babies/Tots, Adventure Ocean etc)....anyways, thanks for taking the time to compile and look forward to following along!

Hi, Ryan,

I am sure your experience will be different than ours. That’s the best thing about cruising. No two families will have the same exact experience even on the same sailing as everyone does their own thing.

It’s like those cooking competitions where people are given a simple ingredient (say chicken or squash) but everyone makes something completely different from it.

If you have pictures or comments on the cruise, please feel free to drop them in here. My analogy is I am hosting a party but it’s BYOW (W is whatever). If you have something to share or comment, please do so. I am sure other cruisers will benefit from this and at the end of the day that is what this is all about…

Hi, Ryan,

I am sure your experience will be different than ours. That’s the best thing about cruising. No two families will have the same exact experience even on the same sailing as everyone does their own thing.

It’s like those cooking competitions where people are given a simple ingredient (say chicken or squash) but everyone makes something completely different from it.

If you have pictures or comments on the cruise, please feel free to drop them in here. My analogy is I am hosting a party but it’s BYOW (W is whatever). If you have something to share or comment, please do so. I am sure other cruisers will benefit from this and at the end of the day that is what this is all about…

Thanks Harry! By no means want to hijack your report lol...but can add in my $0.02 (and photos) where it may be beneficial or where I had varying experience.

Looking forward to reading your trip report! My hubby and I took our first cruise 2 months ago on the Oasis and I'm experiencing some serious withdrawal. Especially since we've got below zero temps up here in Michigan! Anyway, your Allure trip report was fun to read before we sailed because I knew that ship was so similar to the Oasis. Next time around we hope to take a family cruise, so I hope to glean lots of cheapo tips and tricks from your report!

Melissa

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a treat, to find your new cheapo review!

Following between Rose Bowl parade, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, and more football.

Your trip report makes me happy I have a short cruise in a couple days. :)

Happy New Years!

Edited by peach section

Thanks for posting pictures of St. Maarten -- we are stopping there on our 1-28-2018 OA cruise.

OA is stopping in St. Maarten for the first time this week.

You are welcome. I wasn't sure what to expect for our visit as we booked Bernard's tour (famous on Trip advisor and over at the ports of call boards) and even he wasn't sure where the tour might lead few weeks before we got there on what we might see.

Just wanted to get the word out and show some pictures of what the place looks like as there were many rumors on how bad the island was damaged.

Have a great cruise on the Oasis. I like them big and round...

Hi Harry, looking forward very much to reading this TR. As you know I was on this sailing as well and it was great meeting you and your family. Thanks for filling us in on your experience.

Brandon

Hi, Brandon,

Good to talk to you again. Hope you folks had fun on the cruise.

For the rest of the people, Brandon recognized my mug shot from my previous trip reports and spotted me at terminal 18 on boarding day taking pictures of "dirt" or whatever I was taking pictures of at the time and came by with his whole family to introduce himself. Then throughout the cruise, I ran into him and his family and we had good conversations.

I think they showed up couple places in my pictures as I reviewed them after coming home. So you might see him in the trip report somewhere later on.

Brandon,

Hope I represent the cruise correctly. If I am wrong with my facts, let me know. Maybe you can show your dad some of the pictures from the cruise next few weeks as I get deeper into the trip report.

Harry

Thanks Harry! By no means want to hijack your report lol...but can add in my $0.02 (and photos) where it may be beneficial or where I had varying experience.

You know, I am never one to believe in the "hijack" concept. I view this as a pot luck party where I just happen to be hosting. But everyone is free to bring something to the party to share.

Especially if people is asking questions where I don't have the answers, feel free to chime in or add in different perspective.

The whole concept of these boards is that it's a vacation forum and we all help each other in making our vacation 0.02% better with knowledge sharing. If we can do that, then we are all good...

Looking forward to reading your trip report! My hubby and I took our first cruise 2 months ago on the Oasis and I'm experiencing some serious withdrawal. Especially since we've got below zero temps up here in Michigan! Anyway, your Allure trip report was fun to read before we sailed because I knew that ship was so similar to the Oasis. Next time around we hope to take a family cruise, so I hope to glean lots of cheapo tips and tricks from your report!

Melissa

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, Melissa,

I don't know, that's a lot of pressure to provide "lots of cheapo tips and tricks". Not sure I can live up to that high expectation.

The Allure trip report was the my best trip report. Like those one hit wonders musicians that had a song in the top 40 once in their career and they can never get to that level again?

Especially since my comedy writing team (of one) quit on me awhile back so I am more limited on what I can write.

As for having cruise withdrawls, I recorded on my cell phone the windjammer lady singing the "washy washy before yummy yummy" rhyme. So every time I want to feel like being back on a cruise again, I will re-play that video and squirt some Purell on my hand, then I am good...