Disembarkation Day

mellon1

Dress well, get a porter, tell the porter you need a big taxi, tip the porter well, he will take you to the front of the taxi line...

Really or are you joking? We usually always tip $20 to the porter, but have never tried a taxi. Do we need to do more than $20?

I don’t have a good answer that hasn’t been mentioned by anyone else.

I am curious though how you would leave 2 suitcases behind. What will have happened to what you brought in them? I understand leaving behind books you’ve read (bring paperbacks if possible!) but that’s not 2 suitcases worth, is it? Even 35 days of toiletries doesn’t take up a whole suitcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They weigh a lot though, so to keep the weight down in the cases I put less in.

We’ve use IT Bags. Our Megalite traveled LAX-FCO-LAX many times. Only issue has been a ground down wheel. It ground down when dragged by someone not realizing the wheel was stuck when our DD was emergency evacuated. The bag part held up. Our replacement bag has a double wheel configuration. Hopefully it won’t get stuck.

Tried the lighter bags and I have had them ruined after one use. Must be the luggage handlers we got.

We were just on The Crown this past Nov. We had an 11:15 flight. We did self disembark and grabbed a taxi. We were literally through security at the airport before 9:30.

Sent from my SM-T818V using Forums mobile app

Like to hear that. We have never done the taxi thing, so not sure how it works with all those people trying to get a taxi.

If it is indeed FLL then you can pay Princess to handle your luggage using EZ Check. They will take your luggage and you won't see it again until you land at your destination. It's easy and not expensive. However, it is dependent on what airline you are using as not all airlines accept the service.

Have done that in the past and loved loved loved it; however, it is for flights after 11:30. I think they need to change it to an earlier time myself. We miss it by 1 hour.

How much does your suitcase weigh when empty? Some of ours weighed about 15lbs, many weighed 11lbs. Got rid of those and got lighter luggage.

The new ones I got I believe weigh 12 lbs. The one I had weighed 8 lbs and it was destroyed after one time.

Off a Princess cruise January 2017 Port Everglades, I took a van shuttle no reservation that was just over from the exit for $11/pp. They filled the van up then took off to the airport.

Thus the reason for our post. We had a van booked, one we used for years, and they blew us off. Thought it was a sure thing. So never doing the taxi thing, didn't know if it was even quick or possible or how it all works with all those people leaving 6 ships. Scary.

We are doing Southwest and want a direct flight home as we have to drive once we get to PIT to our home which can be rough in bad weather. I thought have to get to gate 10 minutes before. If we took our extra toiletries, etc. I could leave 2 luggage bags behind that would have those items in there. We always leave any extra toiletries behind anyways. I was going to get rid of those 2 bags anyways as they don't have 360 degree wheels on them. I am sure the room steward would find someone for them as they are still in great shape. Then we could do walk off with each of us a carry on and each a bag, taking the elevator of course. I didn't sign up for global entry. I should have, time got away from us. I wonder if when we are there doing 5 b2bs if we could sign up there at the port? HMMMMM We aren't physically mobility challenged, but my DH had neck cancer 2 years ago and requires special mouth wash, tooth paste, rinses, lots of pills, etc., things that I cannot get at Walgreens. Our one carryon last year had all his pills/vitamins in there. We had a note from our doc so as there were a lot of pills and we did get checked. We had all our info from doctor so we were OK to go. I hate not to take something and he will need it, especially now. By the way he is taking about 18 books with him, hard cover, he won't use the ipad book reader, he likes the pages!! It makes him happy and that is the only time he gets to read so I don't mind. He will just have to leave them behind for other passengers to read rather than bring them back for his friends. I am determined to reduce stuff though, but like the one year I only packed 3 shorts for him and the zipper broke on one pair. We hate to request same day or next day laundry, even though we will be in a suite and you can. I don't like to take advantage of it.
Seems like you are already set to take your luggage. I know that Southwest allows 2 checked-in luggage per passenger for free. While you need to be at the boarding gate at least 10 minutes before departure time, you can also cancel or change your flight for free, 10 minutes before your scheduled departure flight. Just wondering if you have considered changing your flight to a later time. There may be no change fees but fare for the later flight could cost a little more. But at least, it is not stressful to spend time at the airport for your flight, than rushing and still not sure if you can make it to your 10:25 AM flight. You can then change your bags after. JMHO.

Seems like you are already set to take your luggage. I know that Southwest allows 2 checked-in luggage per passenger for free. While you need to be at the boarding gate at least 10 minutes before departure time, you can also cancel or change your flight for free, 10 minutes before your scheduled departure flight. Just wondering if you have considered changing your flight to a later time. There may be no change fees but fare for the later flight could cost a little more. But at least, it is not stressful to spend time at the airport for your flight, than rushing and still not sure if you can make it to your 10:25 AM flight. You can then change your bags after. JMHO.

It is a direct flight for us to Pittsburgh and we have a 2 1/2-3 hour drive home after that, maybe more depending on weather/roads. So when I looked originally, we are sitting in the airport or huge delays in between flights. Traveling in the past, many times connections are canceled because of weather and we feel we have a better chance to get home on a direct flight.