December 2018 CRUISE HELP: Norwegian CL vs Holland America

IslandSpice7

Happy New Year cruisers! My family and I are interested in cruising this December but we need help deciding on a cruise. Thoughts? I am currently eyeing the following:

We have cruised to Bahamas w/ Norwegian *Nassau/Great Stirrup Cay* & have traveled to Riviera Maya on our own, but not the other Caribbean islands, we have been

Norwegian Cruises

1. 7-Day Eastern Caribbean from Orlando (Port Canaveral) (NORWEGIAN BLISS): Nassau, Tortola (BVI) St. Thomas (USVI), Orlando

2. 7-Day Western Caribbean from Orlando (Port Canaveral) (NORWEGIAN EPIC) Orlando, Falmouth (Jamaica) George Town (Grand Cayman), Cozumenl (MX), Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas)

3. 7-Day Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles (NORWEGIAN STAR): Los Angeles, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas,(Pacific side of MX)

4. Holland America Line: ms Nieuw Amsterdam Half Moon Cay (Bahamas) Ocho Rios (Jamaica) George Town (Grand Cayman) Cozumel (MX)

Thoughts? We are open to wherever. Of course we prefer western Caribbean but I'm not opposed to Mexican Pacific Riviera.

Thanks & be safe all.

If the ship is as much a consideration as the itinerary you have chosen four very different ones:

Norwegian Bliss is due to be launched later this spring. Passenger capacity 4,000 and all the newest bells and whistles NCL favors. But three port days rather than four--and Nassau makes it the least interesting itinerary anyway (unless you feel compelled to return there).

Norwegian Epic was NCLs very first mega-ship launched in 2010. Slightly smaller than the Bliss but about 100 more staterooms. A somewhat quirky one-time design for NCL; be sure to read up on the bathroom layout of shower and toilet in separate cubicles on either side of the open sink area; no room for modesty or squeamishness. But you do get four port days including the private beach call at GSC; personally I always lean towards itineraries including those stops.

HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam is one of the last "Vista Class" ships to be built (no need for Panamax dimensions anymore with the new locks) entering service in 2010. Passenger capacity just over 2000; a very comfortable ship (I have been on her sister ship, Cunard's Queen Victoria) but much more sedate than the two NCL mini-cities, also reflected in the differing passengers who board in Ft Lauderdale rather than Port Canaveral. Similar itinerary to Epic; the call at HMC preferable to GSC if only because of half as many people tendering. But if you have never been to Jamaica before Ocho Rios requires caution (moreso than the secure designed-by-the-cruiselines port of Falmouth) and the ability to say 'no thank you' to street vendors several times a minute.

I have also been on the Norwegian Star. Launched iin 2000 but with more cabins added during a major refit it squeezes nearly 2400 passengers in a relatively small space. It does have NCL's plethora of upcharge dining and a small kid-dimension water park area. And it is more than adequate for the Mexican Riviera should that be your decision; most travellers on those sailings care more about NCL's drink package than the particular ship they are on.

So if all four are truly a coin flip for you I guess I would lean toward Epic, as long as you are fine with the cabin quirks.

But if you love that "new ship smell" there's Bliss.

Or for only half as many than 4000+ new close friends, Nieuw Amsterdam.

Or the arguably livelier atmosphere of Mexico, the Star.