Onboard Seaside: Ship B+ to A- everything else C- to C+

The Admiral

Gee, my husband and I reported multiple "issues" during our TransAtlantic aboard the SeaSide, and we were roundly thumped by the MSC cheer leaders. We are shocked to see that the flagship of MSC is still "not ready for prime time."

Like others, we would love to see another competitive cruise option in the US. Unfortunately, this company does not understand customer care, and for us, friendly attentive service trumps all.

MSC has ten new beautiful ships scheduled for construction in the next five years. If they can't get their act together they'll be sailing half full ships at deeply discounted fares. MSC, "Cancel one ship and use the funds to train your employees, starting at the top." IMO.

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

MSC does state that Bella experience is subject to eat dinner in the buffet as overflow. There have been reports of bella class being assigned to eat in the buffet area on other MSc ships. Although it appears rare, it has happened.

Msc exact disclaimer for Bella experience reads;

"Should the main restaurant be full, Bella Experience guests may be asked to be seated in the buffet area, where they will receive full restaurant service"

Pete posted a screen shot of the Bella experience with this disclaimer noted in post number 5 of this thread (MSc site is Glitchy right now or I could link you directly).

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2422598

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no ref to this on the Australian Site ....It says in the main restaurants, so one would think they would need to let passengers here know as well if that is a possibility?

"Bella Experience "

Designed to ensure a pleasant stay on board

‘Bella’ fares are the great-value way to enjoy the comforts of life on board an elegant, modern cruise ship. Relax in a well-equipped cabin and savour a wide variety of superb specialities in our main restaurants .

What’s more, you can spoil yourself with the delights of a gourmet buffet that’s open 20 hours a day. Enjoy Broadway style entertainment and a packed program of daily activities organised by our multilingual team of friendly personnel. Experience a dream cruise as you discover exciting new destinations.

Take advantage of the pool, cutting-edge panoramic gym and open-air sports facilities to stay in shape. Make use of the freedom to change your booking details if necessary. And earn MSC Voyagers Club points, so you can enjoy even more benefits on your next cruise!.

and again here https://www.msccruises.com.au/en-au/Discover-MSC/Our-Fares.aspx

Edited by EssG

Thanks for the review! We really appreciate the details. I think your review has pushed us over the edge and we will be cancelling our May Seaside booking. Your specific complaints are the ones we were most worried about: Cabin size/set up not adequate. Too many people for the ship/not even enough room in the dining rooms. General dysfunction. Good grief! Third class? Sounds Third World to me. Slei15's descriptions of the dining reminded us of Fawlty Towers. I am now afraid if we go on MSC we will end up like the episode with the Americans: "What a bunch of crap!"

Edited by Cafedumonde

I think the key line about the Bella (at least on the U.S. site) is: "...Should the main restaurant be full, Bella Experience guests may be asked to be seated in the buffet area, where they will receive full restaurant service"

I think it's unfair to characterize this a eating "buffet food"; people are getting the full restaurant service in the room that is a buffet during the day. This perceived inconvenience seems to be part of the lower fare for Bella. "Admiral" mentioned above that there seemed to be a class system on MSC, and this is true for all cruise lines. There are different room grades with different prices and varied perks. This provides choices for people, and for many, the ability to travel.

I think the key line about the Bella (at least on the U.S. site) is: "...Should the main restaurant be full, Bella Experience guests may be asked to be seated in the buffet area, where they will receive full restaurant service"

I think it's unfair to characterize this a eating "buffet food"; people are getting the full restaurant service in the room that is a buffet during the day. This perceived inconvenience seems to be part of the lower fare for Bella. "Admiral" mentioned above that there seemed to be a class system on MSC, and this is true for all cruise lines. There are different room grades with different prices and varied perks. This provides choices for people, and for many, the ability to travel.

There is no other cruise line that does not have room in the MDRs to accommodate all guests.

There is no other cruise line that does not have room in the MDRs to accommodate all guests.

I agree with you. And it is different for sure. But, at the same time, MSC also has some of the lowest prices for entry level cruises in the Caribbean. For many, this might be totally fine. My real point is that there are lots of choices on this ship to meet the needs of many.

Thanks for the report. MSC entertainment and food is FAR superior to Carnival.

Also on the first night they had a standard NY strip, Broiled Chicken and French Onion Soup as an alternative menu in case you did not like the dinner menu (excellent idea and pretty common in other lines....but wait they messed that up too). Tonight for Italian night dinner and one other night those choices were gone. I asked staff what happened and they said the alternative menu (which is an everyday standard offering on other cruise lines) was not available and I had to choose only from the menu I git or go to the buffet (again the crappy Biscayne buffet)

Doesn't sound like far superior to Carnival....or am I missing something?

"Admiral" mentioned above that there seemed to be a class system on MSC, and this is true for all cruise lines. There are different room grades with different prices and varied perks. This provides choices for people, and for many, the ability to travel.
It is indeed true that all mainstream cruise lines offer a class system from a basic inside cabin on the lowest deck up to an owner's suite regarding accommodations. But MSC takes this class system one step further and incorporates it into dinnertime when the Bella guests are possibly relegated to buffet only or a sit down experience in the buffet.

From what I am inferring, it seems that MSC has a true caste system on their ships. Those in Bella being classified as steerage and possibly stuck in the buffet, those in Fantastica being third class and stuck with fixed dining times, those in Aurea being second class and enjoying anytime seating at dinner and those in the Yacht Club being first class and enjoying their own private dining room.

But of course, since it is 2018, those in steerage, third class and second class can pay extra and enjoy dinner in one of the many specialty venues. ;)

IMO transparency is vital in the cruise industry, cause when people have expectations that were never going to be met, they will get cranky and have a negative opinion of the cruise line....most would be much happier if it was something they had known upfront and considered when planning their holiday ......So I really believe that if its going to be their policy to place Bella Experience guests in the Buffet, MSC need to have that information on all the different country websites (and tell the travel agents) so that when passenger book they can consider if not being in the MDR's is something that is important to them or not, ... I'm pretty layback and relaxed myself, happy to go with the flow, but I HATE it when I feel like I am being daubed and not getting what I thought I paid for and that IMO would be how one would feel if you had the website say you will be eating in the MDR and then find you are eating in the Buffet.

I also wonder it the quality of the food would be the same if prepared in a kitchen that is designed for Buffet style food and if there would be more "sorry dont have any" situations there.

There is no ref to this on the Australian Site ....

Exactly EssG! When I booked (on the Oz site) there was no indication of this either.

In addition, no other cruiseline I know of does this- so not a common industry practice that you could expect to happen!

What’s more, you can spoil yourself with the delights of a gourmet buffet that’s open 20 hours a day.
Also not having a decent buffet on deck 16 during dinner (pizza, burgers, nuggets, chips is an insult to those that want to dine casually no matter what the "experience" compared to what is available on Carnival, Princess or RCCL in the buffet at dinner) because the one on deck 8 is closed for overflow, makes a mockery of this!

I hope MSC get their act together VERY quickly. :mad:

I am still looking forward to our cruise next week, but really wondering what kind of research MSC did to make this ship "for the North American Clientele". I totally agree that the ship is beautiful, but the cabins are average, and the dinning options sound like a big problem.

The biggest question is whether MSC is listening to these complaints and how they are going to react and fix these problems. If they don't fix these problems, I don't think that they are going to be able to complete with the other big players (RCI, NCL, Carnival) in the North American cruise market.

Only time will tell.

Something that many have failed to notice or comment on is the fact that being a shorter ship in length the two main dining rooms are smaller hence the reason I believe that the Market place buffet is being used as a third Dining room plus the fact that they have increased passenger numbers, I did hear that it was for those in Bella cabins which would make sense as the Seashore can only hold around 950 people.

We had no issues of slow service though we did have two waiters that we have cruised with before.

There is no way that is going to fly with me .

It is indeed true that all mainstream cruise lines offer a class system from a basic inside cabin on the lowest deck up to an owner's suite regarding accommodations. But MSC takes this class system one step further and incorporates it into dinnertime when the Bella guests are possibly relegated to buffet only or a sit down experience in the buffet.

From what I am inferring, it seems that MSC has a true caste system on their ships. Those in Bella being classified as steerage and possibly stuck in the buffet, those in Fantastica being third class and stuck with fixed dining times, those in Aurea being second class and enjoying anytime seating at dinner and those in the Yacht Club being first class and enjoying their own private dining room.

Not only at dinner time but the caste or class system is evident on deck as well. Aurea passengers have exclusive deck seating at the front of the ship on decks 8 and 18. The entrances are guarded by the guy passing out towels.

I understand offering perks to people willing to pay for them, but when the elevator I'm in bypasses my floor to pick up YC members and then doesn't allow me to exit at my deck as it goes back down, that's a bit overboard.

We were on the December inaugural TA. On the last day, MSC sent a note that if we wanted to participate in a survey, we should provide our email to Guest Services. I did and I responded upon returning home but did not receive any kind of acknowledgement that MSC received or appreciated my comments. Gee, even when I unsubscribe to some email ad I didn't ask for, they send a note to acknowledge it.

MSC must improve their customer relations to get repeat "third class" customers.

There is no way that is going to fly with me .

LMaxwell ... Seaside is 30 feet shorter than Divina in length plus the area where the Aft pool is placed which means rooms are smaller, plus there are an extra 1,500 people on the ship.

Here are the numbers from the Technical sheet I was given by a friend who is a crew member.

Marketplace Buffet 1,000 seats, Seashore 922, Ipanema 740 and Biscayne Bay Deck 16 buffet 450.

The Marketplace Dining room will be there to stay because there is no way that the other two dining rooms can fit everyone in unless they begin at 4-30 and go through to Midnight.

Just came back from the first Seaside sailing from Miami, here's my take:

1. Ship, very beautiful, loved the decor (9/10)

2. Buffet, horrible (1/10)

You don't get a sense that the food was made fresh, they appeared as if they have been sitting there for hours. Who cooks asparagus until they are softer than tofu? Dinner buffet is a joke. You can hardly find anything appealing during that time. The only thing great in the buffet is the desert.

3. Food, way below expectation (2/10)

I liked the food on Divina and thought it was above many cruise lines, but was very disappointed by Seaside. We were originally assigned one of the dining rooms, but when we requested to be changed to a table for two, they put us in the buffet. No ambiance to talk about, they put tablecloth on top of the tables, but you still feel you are inside the buffet. Food was average at best at night. Appetizers are not hot when they served them because all have been sitting in the buffet areas before you order them. The main dishes lack presentation, could be the plain white dishes that they used for them or the attempt to serve many people in a short period of time.

4. Service, very good (8/10)

First night dining in the buffet restaurant took 2.5 hours, no kidding. The servers apologized and said it will get better. We were going to give them another chance, but somehow they changed our table without us asking on day 2. Service from the new waiters (Iran and Brian) were superb. So glad they changed our table without us asking and found two super attentive and efficient waiters.

5. Entertainment, good (7/10)

Some of the shows were very good, some were acceptable, but they didn't completely americanized the shows. If they were really aiming for the Seaside to be our ship, they should try to make more shows that would appeal to the Americans/Canadians. Some of the entertainers came from Divina, so you will recognized those acts (which are now incorporated into the new shows). Seeing them for the first time was nice, seeing them again on Seaside made it less interesting.

Wow! We booked our 1st MSC cruise back in the summer for this August. As I've been reading more and more, I've been getting concerned about our cruise. I think this is going to be the deciding factor for us to cancel this cruise and book with RCCL.

My frustration all started in just trying to book the cruise. I have never had to call a cruise line to book a cruise because everything was so confusing on-line. The rep I spoke to did not know what she was doing and even told me we weren't allowed to take a pack of crackers on board. I laughed and told her she was crazy and I've never heard of that! She then told me we could take pre-packaged snacks, but we wouldn't need them because we would have access to food 24 hours a day.

I appreciate all the posts on Seaside, good and bad. Once I share this info with my hubby, I know he is for sure going to want us to cancel.

I agree with you. And it is different for sure. But, at the same time, MSC also has some of the lowest prices for entry level cruises in the Caribbean. For many, this might be totally fine. My real point is that there are lots of choices on this ship to meet the needs of many.

Two clarifications:

1) The buffet used as a third MDR is full a service - in the same chairs wet bathing suits sit on during the day and a beautiful view of the ocean to one side and a great view of the buffet line with stacked plates and utensils on the other... wow I really got Stuck by getting assigned to the MDR instead if the elegant buffet restaurant lol.

I’m sorry, respectfully, main dinner service in the buffet area is no where near the same as in the Ipanema and Seashore MDRs.

2) no there are not lots of choices on the Ship for dining. That’s my point theres only one choice - main dinning, or pay for a specialty restaurant because the dinner alternative buffet is not good.

Just a quick note. Under the faq on the app it tells you how to change dinning times... says that Bella and fantastica can be changed only once perday.. now the place you request may not be availiable... The maiterde is at deck 5 seashore dining room at 12:30... be there early to change and get in line... I saw people change out of marketplace back to dinning room while I was in line. Depends on space available.. lots of people were changing. We passed by the windows if the marketplace and for us it really didn't look that bad... The place is really nice to start with... I would rather be in seashore. But... We ended up in impeama..which was also nice but at the time we needed it..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

But of course, since it is 2018, those in steerage, third class and second class can pay extra and enjoy dinner in one of the many specialty venues. ;)

All cruise lines have caste system. You get what you paid for.

They need to step up here and catch up to NCL, Carnival and RCI -they are way behind here.No thank's. they don't need to catch up to NCL or CCL. :eek:

What suggestions do you have for MSC to catch up to:

NCL?

RCI?

Never been on Carnival so not interested in CCL.

Thanks!