Small Power Strips

j6923ss

Given RCI's unequal enforcement of the extension cord/power strip ban, I would call Special Needs, and request a ship's extension cord for medical use. Another option is a USB extension cable, which has a male USB on one end, and a female USB on the other. This would plug between the mask cord and the Kindle charger. Walmart has 10 foot ones for $4:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Link-Depot-10-USB-Extension-Cable/15779601

or a 16 foot one for $7.

Thank you, that is perfect! I am so totally un-tech-savy when it comes to this kind of thing, and I didn't want to request a ship extension cord since my husband's condition is not serious (as those that have sleep apnea), just something that needs to be dealt with on a regular basis to keep it under control. I will order the USB extension cable. Thank you again for your kind assistance.

chengkp75, thank you so much for the information.

The poster with the picture of the Belkin must have been posting at the same time as I was. That is the exact same model that we have. I guess we will have to look for something else to use on the ship.

Do you have any ideas for extra outlets and USB combined?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even if you bring a non-surge protected device for more plugs, it can still be confiscated as the ship crew may have no idea if is or is not surge protected. Also, do you really think they crew will take your word for it that it's not surge protected? People lie all the time to try to bring banned items on board.

chengkp75, thank you so much for the information.

The poster with the picture of the Belkin must have been posting at the same time as I was. That is the exact same model that we have. I guess we will have to look for something else to use on the ship.

Do you have any ideas for extra outlets and USB combined?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To keep from a power cord/power strip configuration, I would bring a 3-way outlet extender (just the thing that plugs in and has three outlets, usually made of rubber), and a multi-USB hub (no power outlets). For other lines there are some combined units that are not surge protected, but they look like typical power strips, or I recommend a cheap power strip ($4) and a multi-USB hub.

Even if you bring a non-surge protected device for more plugs, it can still be confiscated as the ship crew may have no idea if is or is not surge protected. Also, do you really think they crew will take your word for it that it's not surge protected? People lie all the time to try to bring banned items on board.

When you are at the "naughty room", there have been reports of people asking for a "second opinion", and when an engineer comes and looks at the device it is cleared for use.

That item, while it does make it past security quite often, because it does not resemble a common surge protected power strip, is surge protected and should not be used on ships. As I've said many times in the past, even if your surge protected device is working perfectly, and is in perfect condition, a ground fault somewhere else on the ship can cause this perfectly functioning surge protector to catch fire. So, even if you do everything right, other than using a surge protector on a ship, you may cause a fire.

Interesting, I even asked our steward about it on our Celebrity Cruise and they said it was acceptable.

Now I may just leave it home, I definitely don't want to cause any issue.

I just purchased a small 3 outlet power strip at the dollar store. It says clearly on the package "not surge protected". I am going to leave it in the package and hope it gets through..... I definitely want to follow the rules and be safe, but would also like a few extra outlets.

I had a small 3 outlet cord (no sure protector) that made it on board without any problem on 6 previous RCI sailings until our recent cruise on the Navigator. Each time it was in my checked baggage. When my suitcase didn't show up by 8 PM on first night, I figured it was in the naughty room. Our room steward confirmed it. When I went to get it, I told security I never had this problem before and it wasn't a surge protector. I quickly determined it wasn't worth the fuss. I was told I could pick it up at the terminal upon disembarkation. I was just going to leave it but decided since it was on the way out, I'd simply pick it up. WOW!! I was surprised at how many boxes were sitting there filled with power cords. Rough guess at least a hundred or more.

Another option is to use an adapter for the euro style outlet that I've seen in many (all?) Royal cabins and that is often unused. I believe it's a type C outlet (hopefully someone else can confirm). You can get a simple adapter that converts to a US style plug, or get this one that also has 2 built in USB ports:

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-CTU-9C-Europe-Travel-Adapter/dp/B01N14AV3K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522108946&sr=8-4&keywords=type+c+power+adapter

3 pack of adapters that convert to 2 US style outlets (one 3 prong, one 2 prong...no USB):

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-CT-9C-Europe-Travel-Adapter/dp/B01NCZJ5UN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522108946&sr=8-3&keywords=type+c+power+adapter

Note that the euro style outlet will be 50Hz, 240V (at least on land...not sure about a ship...Chief?). Most modern electronics can handle either 50Hz or 60Hz and ~100-250V. Check first if you're not sure.

Another option is to use an adapter for the euro style outlet that I've seen in many (all?) Royal cabins and that is often unused. I believe it's a type C outlet (hopefully someone else can confirm). You can get a simple adapter that converts to a US style plug, or get this one that also has 2 built in USB ports:

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-CTU-9C-Europe-Travel-Adapter/dp/B01N14AV3K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1522108946&sr=8-4&keywords=type+c+power+adapter

3 pack of adapters that convert to 2 US style outlets (one 3 prong, one 2 prong...no USB):

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-CT-9C-Europe-Travel-Adapter/dp/B01NCZJ5UN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522108946&sr=8-3&keywords=type+c+power+adapter

Note that the euro style outlet will be 50Hz, 240V (at least on land...not sure about a ship...Chief?). Most modern electronics can handle either 50Hz or 60Hz and ~100-250V. Check first if you're not sure.

You are correct about the higher voltage for the Euro socket, though it might be 220V. We use an adapter for that socket all the time for my wife's hair straightener, which is rated for 100-240V.