Ponts of Interest for walking around Cozumel?

HawkIVette

I will be traveling with my Wife, my Mother-in-law (78), and my wife's Aunt (79) in a week or so, and our last stop is in Cozumel.

Planning on just grabbing a taxi and going into town.

Was thinking of just walking around town for the day, doing a little shopping, grab some chips & salsa ( w/ freash guacamole) and a few drinks.

Can you suggest some other points of interest in town to fill our day?

And any local restaurants that you like?

I was planning on going to the Municipal Market. Maybe the Museum.

Last year did the Cozumel Amazing Race with my daughter, so know my way around town a little bit.

You're ideas are pretty good. Anything around the Plaza. There are a couple of churches that have interesting interiors and history. The museum's café is a good stop. Also Los Soles for shopping and drinks at Pancho's Backyard. However, if you're going to El Mercado, there are great little kiosks around there. From the museum, if you stay on the water front, Palmeras has a great view of the water around the ferry pier. And don't forget the chocolate kitchen next door to Kintas on Avenida 5 between 2 and 4 Norte.

Google maps work great for finding you way. Look up spots and pin them before going.

Crewsweeper, you mentioned the Plaza. After getting off the ship, do you take a Taxi to the Plaza, and walk around as suggested, or can you walk around close, after getting off the ship.

You mentioned the Kiosks, do they sell "their" merchandise that they make, or is it like something that comes from China or Japan if you know?

Beshears,

Depends on where you dock. If you dock at the International pier or at Puerta Maya, you'll need a taxi to downtown. If you dock at Punta Langosta, you are down town.

As far as merchandise, you'll need to look. Look for "hecho en Mexico" labels.

You're ideas are pretty good. Anything around the Plaza. There are a couple of churches that have interesting interiors and history. The museum's café is a good stop. Also Los Soles for shopping and drinks at Pancho's Backyard. However, if you're going to El Mercado, there are great little kiosks around there. From the museum, if you stay on the water front, Palmeras has a great view of the water around the ferry pier. And don't forget the chocolate kitchen next door to Kintas on Avenida 5 between 2 and 4 Norte.

Google maps work great for finding you way. Look up spots and pin them before going.

Yes, crew. Thanks for all your advice.

Crewsweeper, thank you for your advise, and I'll make a notation of this.

Walking tour suggestions

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/ThingstoDoWalkingTour.htm

Be advised that El Mercado is back on Rosado Salas and Av25. As Crew suggests google maps will help you map out your route from plaza Benito Juarez to ElMercado. This is the local market for locals with food, provisions and small eateries. You will need a taxi from International. If you just want souvenirs there is shopping at all the ports and a new market with stalls between International and Puerta Maya.