Suggested mia hotels to stay the day before departure & rides to the port

Ozmin

Hi all - This forum has been so helpful in the past with a few of my cruises. I have never arrived the day before a cruise departed and I'd like some advice as to which hotels are best to stay (with airport shuttle to said hotel) 1 day prior to the cruise departure. I'm taking both my parents for their 60th anniversary on a NCL GETAWAY Eastern Caribbean cruise on 04/15/18.

2nd question: Best available options for travel to the Port of Miami from hotel. Since there are 3 us and we will of course have several bags and to be honest I'm not much of an 'UBER' person, I was wondering what options I would have besides the obvious "yellow cab". Do any of the hotels offer a shuttle to the port for a small fee? As there are so many hotels, I thought I ask from more experienced travelers here on the forum.

Thanks You All as always for your comment and suggestions -

Bill A. (aka Ozmin)

None of these hotels have shuttles but the price of Uber/Lyft/Taxi would be $25.00 or less.

We spend about one week in Miami each year before a cruise.

Not knowing your price point that you want to spend on a room I will give you several selections; some of which have been mentioned.

They are all within about one mile of each other.

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

Marriott Maquis (about four years old)

Epic Hotel (priciest of the ones I am mentioning)

Holiday Inn (some like it but I would recommend the other two)

Hyatt (I like the location better of the first three even though it is close by)

These hotels are about five minutes from the port. Near restaurants and CVS Pharmacy which is good to pick up last minute items and near a Whole Foods.

Just a couple of minutes further from the port

Mandarin Oriental (priciest of the ones mentioned). Private man made beach.

About 10 minutes from the port or maybe 15 depending on traffic but relatively close so no worries.

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

East Miami (relative new hotel so doesn't get mentioned much and is near the new Brickell Centre. More on Brickell in a moment.)

And then just another few minutes away

Four Seasons (like Mandarin a bit pricier then most I've listed) but in a very quiet location.

Hampton Inn (a lot of value here. It is not a full service hotel but it is a nice Hampton and includes breakfast)

The last group of hotels I have mentioned starting with Mandarin Oriental and ending with Hampton Inn are near lots of restaurants.

There is Mary Brickell Village and right near there are lots of restaurants (for Italian I like Perricone's) and also near two CVS Pharmacies (JW Marriott right next to a 24 hour one) and near Publix (there are two in the area) where you can pick up lots of last minute items.

Then there is the new Brickell Centre which opened last in 2016. Lots of stores and restaurants.

I have stayed at some of these hotels and have been inside each and everyone.

Again, they represent a wide range of price points.

Keith

Flying into MIA or FLL? :confused:

If flying into FLL check http://www.sunny.org for hotel and tourist info. Lots of shared shuttles (SAS, QLS, MJS, etc.) will take you to POM for $15 per person.

If flying into MIA I would follow Keith's advice above. If you insist on airport area hotels with "free" shuttle service check out hotels in the Blue Lagoon area - Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, etc. -- with a local strip mall nearby for dining and shopping.

If the hotel does not offer a shuttle to POM for a fee, you can taxi to POM for about $30 -- ask the hotel front desk to call the cab, they know who is reliable.

Good luck with your planning! :)

Take the shuttle searching out of the equation. You are taking a big trip, why try to save $20 or $30 more? I will never understand that logic of spending thousands on a cruise and then worrying about $30.00.

Now, if its not the money and its more the ease of transport, also take the shuttle thing out of the equation. Its not easier.

Go with the list Keith provided above, pick a hotel in the Downtown Miami or Brickell area. You are so close to the port that you can just take a taxi for around $12-$15 or an Uber for around $8.00. Any hotel in Downtown or Brickell is a quick ride from the port. There you will be able to enjoy some things to do the day/evening you get in.

So your answer to the two questions summed up.

1. If you want a nice place to stay, just take a taxi or uber to Downtown or Brickell. Uber is about $15-$18 Taxi around $30.00. Don't stay in an airport hotel.

2. You can easily take a quick and cheap taxi/uber ride to the Port from Downtown or Brickell. No hotels there offer shuttles because there is no need to. It would be more expensive to take something charged $5.00 a person than just a taxi.

Also, I woud highly suggest using Uber/Lyft as much as you can. Its much cheaper than the taxi 90% of the time and usually much better service and nicer cars.

What time do you arrive? :confused: Arriving late I would opt for Blue Lagoon - arriving early and I might consider staying in Coral Gables. Have you looked at downtown or Coconut Grove?

Blue Lagoon, near MIA, offers free airport shuttle & has a local strip mall with grocery and drug stores plus some dining and fast food options close by.

Where in Coral Gables? Parts can be a LONG way south of the port, but in general it is a nicer, more upscale area than anything close to MIA.

What time do you arrive? :confused: Arriving late I would opt for Blue Lagoon - arriving early and I might consider staying in Coral Gables. Have you looked at downtown or Coconut Grove?

Blue Lagoon, near MIA, offers free airport shuttle & has a local strip mall with grocery and drug stores plus some dining and fast food options close by.

Where in Coral Gables? Parts can be a LONG way south of the port, but in general it is a nicer, more upscale area than anything close to MIA.

Figure we would be at hotel around 2:00 P.M. Don't need a nightlife as we will be up since around 3:00AM, so we would only have about 6hrs in Miami including dinner time. We just need somewhere clean, not very $$$ as we use CDN dollars and a safe place to walk around.

Then I would suggest Blue Lagoon for the free shuttle, free breakfast and local strip mall (across the street from the Hampton Inn) for last minute cruse supplies, or look for something downtown. There's also a Homewood Suites and other hotels in the Blue Lagoon neighborhood - shop around.

Take the shuttle searching out of the equation. You are taking a big trip, why try to save $20 or $30 more? I will never understand that logic of spending thousands on a cruise and then worrying about $30.00.
Long story short - Last cruise MIA / UBER to POM 11:30am - First car shows up, we get in and 2 miles later - breaks down. 30 minutes later, second UBER driver, reload bags into his vehicle, 1 mile later - FLAT TIRE!! Spare tire is also flat....Now 1:00pm and 3rd UBER shows up - reload bags to his vehicle - Make it POM (FINALLLLLLLLY).....@ 1:30pm. Long security lines and such. Finally boarded ship @ 2:45pm. UBER credited the cost of the ride - Really? I was afraid we would miss the cruise.

It's not a question about costs, but rather a question about reliability. I can handle a delay and such, but with my parents - no. That' the reason I will be flying into MIA the day before departure. I was asking for possibilities of shuttles from hotels to POM but will take a taxi.

KEITH1010 - Thank you very much for your input - Looks like the Hyatt for us and a cab to the POM....I really appreciate the time you spent on the in depth reply.

And I thank the rest of the people who replied as also......

Thank You to everyone and HAPPY CRUISING!!!

Bill A. (Ozmin)

Hampton Inn and Suites Downtown Brickell has a shuttle to the port and free breakfast. Shuttle is $9 pp, but figure ten since change was not forthcoming. Nice hotel, and we got it for just under $200 using Travelocity. Might be a tad more for three people.

Long story short - Last cruise MIA / UBER to POM 11:30am - First car shows up, we get in and 2 miles later - breaks down. 30 minutes later, second UBER driver, reload bags into his vehicle, 1 mile later - FLAT TIRE!! Spare tire is also flat....Now 1:00pm and 3rd UBER shows up - reload bags to his vehicle - Make it POM (FINALLLLLLLLY).....@ 1:30pm. Long security lines and such. Finally boarded ship @ 2:45pm. UBER credited the cost of the ride - Really? I was afraid we would miss the cruise.

It's not a question about costs, but rather a question about reliability. I can handle a delay and such, but with my parents - no. That' the reason I will be flying into MIA the day before departure. I was asking for possibilities of shuttles from hotels to POM but will take a taxi.

KEITH1010 - Thank you very much for your input - Looks like the Hyatt for us and a cab to the POM....I really appreciate the time you spent on the in depth reply.

And I thank the rest of the people who replied as also......

Thank You to everyone and HAPPY CRUISING!!!

Bill A. (Ozmin)

That's a lot of bad luck, but it happens. How about this: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article193381229.html

Things happen. You'll find 90% of the people who know Miami well will tell you to always use an Uber or Lyft over a taxi. The taxis here are horrendous and usually more expensive.

Either way, unless its a later arrival I would reccomend going to a hotel in Downtown and Brickell over by the airport with a shuttle.

Hampton Inn and Suites Downtown Brickell has a shuttle to the port and free breakfast. Shuttle is $9 pp, but figure ten since change was not forthcoming. Nice hotel, and we got it for just under $200 using Travelocity. Might be a tad more for three people.

Never knew they had a shuttle. $9/pp is ok for ease of using it. Though a taxi would be about $12.00 and an uber even cheaper. And that is not per-person.

Then I would suggest Blue Lagoon for the free shuttle, free breakfast and local strip mall (across the street from the Hampton Inn) for last minute cruse supplies, or look for something downtown. There's also a Homewood Suites and other hotels in the Blue Lagoon neighborhood - shop around.

Thank you, we decided on the Hampton Blue Lagoon.

94th Aero Squadron is a few blocks away and offers good (but pricey steaks and seafood) with a view of the MIA runway action.

In the strip mall there are Publix grocery, a d drug store and a liquor store for your cruise supplies, plus a couple of dining options (Chinese and Italian when we were there).

Have a great cruise! :cool:

We just stayed at the Intercontinental pre-cruise and post-cruise ( not planned but due to flight cancellations for 2 days). The rooms were very large and the staff was wonderful. In particular Rafael! It is a 2 block walk to Whole Foods & CVS. The Uber to the port was approx. $15. I wouldn't hesitate to book it again. Have a great cruise.

94th Aero Squadron is a few blocks away and offers good (but pricey steaks and seafood) with a view of the MIA runway action.

In the strip mall there are Publix grocery, a d drug store and a liquor store for your cruise supplies, plus a couple of dining options (Chinese and Italian when we were there).

Have a great cruise! :cool:

Thanks..this looks perfect for the few hours we will be there