Cruise with a stop in Cuba

headhunterke

Hello everybody

First of all, I'd like to wish y'all a happy new year

I am a Belgian national and citizen and often travel to the US.

About once a year, I take a cruise down in the Caribbean with HAL.

This year, I am looking at a last minute cruise which includes a stop in Havana, Cuba.

I know flying from the US to Cuba is under very tight regulations.

Do the same rules apply when going on a cruise? (starting and ending in Fort Lauderdale, FL)

I know I will need to buy a Tarjeta Turistica, but I read that someone traveling from the US to Cuba should also obtain some sort of license from the Office of Foreign Assets Control.

Is this just for US citizens or for anyone departing from the US to Cuba regardless of nationality?

I have also escalated this to both Ofac and Holland America, but neither seems to reply.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Thank you for the replies.

As a non American I found these regulations to be very unclear. Nevertheless, I'm glad I can continue with the planning of a long awaited trip :)

The "regulations" are not complicated. I just went to Cuba (it was fabulous, BTW) and you will need to sign an affidavit that is given to you as you check in to the ship stating why you're going there (one copy is kept by the cruiseline and you get one) AND you have to get a visa (mine was $75 and paid to our cruiseline, then the visa was given to us on the ship). In Cuba you can wander around to see whatever you want, take a private tour or take a ship tour. There are no police or monitors watching you. You are free to do whatever you want, just like in any other country. It's not complicated. Our government requires us to keep a journal of our experiences there and that copy of the affidavit for the next 5 yrs.

BUT....this is what Americans have to do and I don't know about non-Americans. You may have to, though, if you're in a ship sailing from America. Please visit the Cuba board because there is alot of info there.