Disappearing Shore Excursions

RW20

For my cruise the number of shore excursions seems to change frequently. Sometimes up and sometimes down.

So this time the number went down and now an excursion I am booked on is no longer listed. However in my billings section is still shows the excursion as booked but is now prefixed with an "h_". Has this happened to you and if so did the excursion go on or was it cancelled?

Some excursions are with vendors with a one year contract. They have to negotiate the contract every year, and sometimes the price changes. Sometimes the reviews have complaints aboout the excursion and so Carnival asks for a change to fix the problems when they negotiate. I have seen this happen a few times.... people complained about he meal provided or where the meal is provided, and voila the excursion gets changed. We also saw that an excursion get removed for a year, and then lots of people complained, it came back (Belize scuba excursion).

I noticed that as well on one of our shore excursions in Amber Cove on the Conquest this coming Spring. Conquest had it's itinerary shuffled on that particular sailing due to overbooking in HMC and we had booked that excursion prior to the reschedule. I had previously exchanged emails with Carnival shore excursions and was assured all previously booked excursions would be honored on the new dates but the "h_" indicator on the tour name concerned me so I have emailed Shore Excursions again about that. I will follow up with what they say (if I can believe their response :( ).

I would love to hear what they say. I don't think the issue is the excursion is sold out. If it was then wouldn't it just show as sold out like all the others.

What email did you use for shore excursions?

I noticed that as well on one of our shore excursions in Amber Cove on the Conquest this coming Spring. Conquest had it's itinerary shuffled on that particular sailing due to overbooking in HMC and we had booked that excursion prior to the reschedule. I had previously exchanged emails with Carnival shore excursions and was assured all previously booked excursions would be honored on the new dates but the "h_" indicator on the tour name concerned me so I have emailed Shore Excursions again about that. I will follow up with what they say (if I can believe their response :( ).

I would love to hear what they say. I don't think the issue is the excursion is sold out. If it was then wouldn't it just show as sold out like all the others.

What email did you use for shore excursions?

shoreexcursions@carnival.com

I too don't believe the sold out theory. When we originally booked it (months ago, prior to the hurricanes hitting the islands), it wasn't indicating that "h_" on the title. Now it is but that may be related to the itinerary change I mentioned. :confused:

This is what they emailed me:

Thank you for contacting the Shore Excursion Department. We value your business and appreciate this opportunity to be of assistance.

Here's the response I recieved from Carnival:

Prefix “h” means that tour is currently on hold.

Should the tour be reinstated before your sailing date, it will return back on the program. In case the tour would still be hold at the time of your sailing, you will receive full refund for the tickets and notification onboard.

If there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Tour Operations

Carnival Cruise Line

This is what they emailed me:

Thank you for contacting the Shore Excursion Department. We value your business and appreciate this opportunity to be of assistance.

Here's the response I recieved from Carnival:

Prefix “h” means that tour is currently on hold.

Should the tour be reinstated before your sailing date, it will return back on the program. In case the tour would still be hold at the time of your sailing, you will receive full refund for the tickets and notification onboard.

If there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Tour Operations

Carnival Cruise Line

Thank you for posting that. I imagine the response I get will be similar and while it's disappointing, there isn't much we can do about it except hope that it comes available prior to our departure and possibly look at alternatives in the meantime.

Just to close the loop on this from our perspective as I finally received a reply from Shore Excursions. Their response was pretty much the same as above: the "h_" does indicate the excursion is on hold until further notice and if it's still on hold at embarkation time, we will receive a refund on the S&S account. I suppose the hold could be for any number of reasons not the least of which is that Carnival is trying to negotiate a contract renewal with the provider and it's not going well.