Any time dining

We will be on the Westerdam in early May. We could not get traditional seating but have been given anytime dining. I’m fine with sitting with new people every night, and having new waiters. I just hate lining up for things. Does anyone know if we will have to wait a long time for a table, or is it quite quick. We usually like to eat about 6:30.

Thanks!

If you come over to the Holland America board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

and do some reading, you will find lots of info on Any Time Dining.

Every cruise is different, but generally, if you go before 6 and after about 7:15, you probably won't wait at all. And you can make reservations for those less than busier times, to further prevent waiting. You can't make reservations for the heavy use times.

The worst time to get a table with the longest waits is when the early show is getting out If you can be there before that mob, you should generally be fine. 7 p.m. is generally the most crowded on the ships I've sailed (Not HAL, sorry). If you have to wait at 6:30, can you show up at 6:15 the next night?

Here's a question about anytime dining that pertains to my situation. I will be traveling with a group of about 24(arranged by a travel agent). I have cruised with this group before and we usually have 3 tables of 6,7 or 8 people dining together. As the lone single traveller, i sometime feel out of place with all the married couples. Is it possible to have anytime dining one night, then eat with my group another night? Or 2 nights in a row, do anytime dining,etc. How flexible is it? Not too worried about hurt feeling from the group, just wondering the protocol?

No. You either have fixed (traditional) or you have Any Time. You can't float between them. If you want to eat alone, you can do that in Any Time (if you are assigned Any Time), or in the Lido, or the other restaurants on board.

Thanks. How about this? My group has early fixed dining..........can I switch between tables-eating with my established group one night, then with a group of others(solos or new friends) the next?

Thanks. How about this? My group has early fixed dining..........can I switch between tables-eating with my established group one night, then with a group of others(solos or new friends) the next?

I imagine you could, as long as it doesn't change their table size. In fixed, you will be assigned to a table, which will be a fixed size. If you move do another group, do they have an extra seat? Or does that change them from a full table of 4 to a table of 6, which I don't think would work.

I imagine you could, as long as it doesn't change their table size. In fixed, you will be assigned to a table, which will be a fixed size. If you move do another group, do they have an extra seat? Or does that change them from a full table of 4 to a table of 6, which I don't think would work.

Hmmm, I guess I could just talk to Maitre De each night and see what is happening. I imagine some folks would do specialty restaurants or take a break from MDR once in a while. I've heard some people say they've eaten with different people each night.