Cannes to Vence (Chapelle du Rosaire)

kochleffel

I've booked a cruise that calls at Cannes. I particularly want to visit the Chapelle du Rosaire (the Matisse chapel) in Vence. This will be on a Friday in April, so it will be open.

I'm finding that shore tours don't go there. Some go to St. Paul de Vence, but the actual town of Vence is a bit farther north. Even guides who customize tours, although they presumably could take customers there, don't mention it; if you look for art they suggest Antibes and Nice.

So I'm thinking that this is an occasion for DIY. I can think of five ways to do it:

1. Taxis. Not a problem to get one in Cannes, but what about returning from Vence? And if I wanted also to visit St. Paul de Vence, what about getting a taxi there?
  2. Uber. I've never used Uber anywhere in Europe. Costs seem to be only slightly less than taxi and I can imagine that it might take some time to get picked up in Vence and/or St. Paul.
  3. Rental car. I am not afraid of driving in France (should I be?), but then there is the issue of finding parking.
  4. Hired car and driver. I'd expect this to be expensive.
  5. Public transit. Buses to St. Paul and Vence start from Nice, so it requires a train or bus toward Nice to reach a connecting point. Takes longer and is not all that cheap.

I'll be traveling alone. It's possible that I might meet people on the cruise ship who also want to see the Matisse chapel, but not guaranteed.

Which of these options is likely to be best?

Guides who customize tours will take you there. Just ask. That's what customization means. They do have suggestions in their websites, but that is all they are: suggestions. If you do it, also ask to visit Vence in addition to St Paul. A short distance away is Tourrettes-sur-Loup, one of my favorite villages in the area.

1. Taxis. You can take it to the chapel and arrange for it to pick you up in half hour. Or walk into Vence and you will find taxis.

2. Uber is fine. It will not take any additional time to pick you up. They work as here - local drivers. It helps always to book ahead.

3. Car - traffic is no worse than any metropolitan or tourist area. Check this thread for a lot of info on driving in the area: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2524320

4. Hired car and driver - just price them. You might find it is ok for you. Only you can decide what is expensive.

5. Public transit - forget it. There is no one bus route that covers your itinerary. You will spend the day trying to figure it out and waiting for buses.

And welcome to CC!

Guides who customize tours will take you there. Just ask. That's what customization means. They do have suggestions in their websites, but that is all they are: suggestions. If you do it, also ask to visit Vence in addition to St Paul. A short distance away is Tourrettes-sur-Loup, one of my favorite villages in the area.

1. Taxis. You can take it to the chapel and arrange for it to pick you up in half hour. Or walk into Vence and you will find taxis.

2. Uber is fine. It will not take any additional time to pick you up. They work as here - local drivers. It helps always to book ahead.

3. Car - traffic is no worse than any metropolitan or tourist area. Check this thread for a lot of info on driving in the area: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2524320

4. Hired car and driver - just price them. You might find it is ok for you. Only you can decide what is expensive.

5. Public transit - forget it. There is no one bus route that covers your itinerary. You will spend the day trying to figure it out and waiting for buses.

And welcome to CC!

Thank you. After checking on costs, it appears that a rental car is the most economical, although it introduces delay at the start and end. I've been a few places where it took as long as an hour to pick up a rental car, and given the unpredictability of when I'll get ashore at a tendering port, Uber may be more convenient.

I very much like the idea of including Tourettes-sur-Loup and would skip St. Paul de Vence in favor of it.

Enjoy.

Once you get to the chapel you will understand why there are no shore excursions there. It is on a narrow road. On one side, the hill rises right from the road. On the other side (chapel side), the hill drops. There is very little parking although cars can park on the shoulder. There is certainly no room for buses to park. Which is a good thing. The chapel is tiny and it would be overwhelmed, and possibly damaged, by large tour groups. The chapel is attached to a Dominican convent which cannot be visited, however, there is a new museum "space" where the liturgical vestments designed by Matisse and many of his design drawings are displayed, and also a book and gift shop. And, yes, there is now an admission fee of 7 euros.

• 3 months later...

And welcome to CC!

We're doing it! Two other passengers and I, with a rental car.

At Tourettes-sur-Loup, any specific recommendations? We may be there at lunchtime.

We're doing it! Two other passengers and I, with a rental car.

At Tourettes-sur-Loup, any specific recommendations? We may be there at lunchtime.

Enjoy your time in the Matisse Chapel. It is quite beautiful with its clean simple lines. I am not sure if you know this, but no photography allowed in the Chapel. I must admit I cheated and bought some postcards so I could take a photo of those to have in my photo collection.

We stayed for a few days just on the outskirts of Saint Paul de Vence and loved it. It can be very crowded during the day but is so lovely in the mornings and afternoon/evening. Lots of lovely places to eat and also lovely places to by chess, cold meats, pate, bread and other items for a picnic meal.

Julie

Just read further ands you are planning to skip Saint Paul, which I can understand for a day trip. The smaller villages are lovely.

You will have a great day!

We like La Barbacane right in the main square (and parking lot) in Tourettes. But there are many good ones.

Enjoy.

Thank you. I had noted La Barbacane based on reviews, but it will depend partly on what my travel companions want.

Enjoy your time in the Matisse Chapel. It is quite beautiful with its clean simple lines. I am not sure if you know this, but no photography allowed in the Chapel. I must admit I cheated and bought some postcards so I could take a photo of those to have in my photo collection.

Thank you. I had read that photography wasn't allowed in the Chapel, but I had also forgotten it.

• 4 weeks later...
You will have a great day!

We like La Barbacane right in the main square (and parking lot) in Tourettes. But there are many good ones.

Enjoy.

We did have a great time, four of us in a rental car. The only hitches were that it took some time to get off the ship (priority for tenders given, I think, to passengers on the line's own excursions) and we made lots of wrong turns. We had rented from Sixt and I expected a Skoda Octavia or Hyundai Elantra; we actually had an Alfa Romeo Giulia!

One of us suffered a lot of anxiety over getting back to the tender dock in time. Others predicted that at the announced time for the last tender there would be 2,000 passengers all arriving simultaneously, which is what happened.

We all loved Tourettes-sur-Loup and lunch at La Barbacane.