Salisbury Cathedral on Sunday

We would like to have your input, please.

Post cruise on the way back to Heathrow and our flight won't be until 2PM. We would like to make a side trip to see the Cathedral.

• Will we have time to do it (with a private transfer from ship to London)?.
  • If it is doable, since it is on Sunday will we be able to go inside the church?.

Thank you.

We looked at spending time in Salisbury on our way back to LHR, but with Sunday services, it wasn't an option. So, we are going to spend time in New Forest, with a stop for cream tea, possibly drive through Downton [not the TV show], then onto LHR to check in for our flight. Virgin just changed our flight times, [and to an older plane] to/from, so we are cutting our post cruise transfer plans accordingly.

We toured the Cathedral a few years ago, saw the Magna Carta, and thoroughly enjoyed our time in Salisbury. It's a wonderful place to spend a good part of the day to walk along the river and stop for lunch, too.

Darcy

Why do you want to visit Downton, other than the name is the same as the television programme? It’s a blink and you miss it place. I drive through there to get to somewhere else. Lymington and other places in the New Forest have more interesting features.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downton,_Hampshire

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymington

Why do you want to visit Downton, other than the name is the same as the television programme? It’s a blink and you miss it place. I drive through there to get to somewhere else. Lymington and other places in the New Forest have more interesting features.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downton,_Hampshire

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymington

Thanks for the info re: Downton. It was a drive through suggestion by the transfer vendor because it was on our original route towards Salisbury before we had the flight changes. We might simply stay within the Forest and then onto LHR. There are so many quaint villages and delightful little shops to visit before we endure the flight back home.

One member of our group lives in Bournemouth where we have been before; we did the ferry from Lymington to IOW.

Darcy

We looked at spending time in Salisbury on our way back to LHR, but with Sunday services, it wasn't an option. So, we are going to spend time in New Forest, with a stop for cream tea, possibly drive through Downton [not the TV show], then onto LHR to check in for our flight. Virgin just changed our flight times, [and to an older plane] to/from, so we are cutting our post cruise transfer plans accordingly.

We toured the Cathedral a few years ago, saw the Magna Carta, and thoroughly enjoyed our time in Salisbury. It's a wonderful place to spend a good part of the day to walk along the river and stop for lunch, too.

Darcy

Hi Darcy,

Whilst there's nothing of interest at Downton, other than an impressive tannery (now converted to apartments), it's on the edge of the New Forest. If your transfer driver is based at the Southampton end I have no doubt he/she knows their stuff and will have mentioned it more as part of an attractive route across the Forest rather than a destination in itself.

It's en-route to Salisbury, and whilst it appears you'll not be able to go inside the cathedral it's still worth walking the Cathedral Close and the adjacent historic centre of Salisbury.

You'll also not be far from Stonehenge and can do a drive-by - quite a reasonable view from the main highway.

JB :)

Hi Darcy,

Whilst there's nothing of interest at Downton, other than an impressive tannery (now converted to apartments), it's on the edge of the New Forest. If your transfer driver is based at the Southampton end I have no doubt he/she knows their stuff and will have mentioned it more as part of an attractive route across the Forest rather than a destination in itself.

It's en-route to Salisbury, and whilst it appears you'll not be able to go inside the cathedral it's still worth walking the Cathedral Close and the adjacent historic centre of Salisbury.

You'll also not be far from Stonehenge and can do a drive-by - quite a reasonable view from the main highway.

Thanks, JB. You are a much appreciated wealth of information. Yes, our transfer agent is from S'hampton, thus the recommendation. We have all been to Stonehenge - before and after the re-construction of the access road. I know if we spend time in Salisbury, it won't be long enough as there's much to do and see. Plus, there's a delightful pub adjacent to he path from the mega car park to the Cathedral.

In the end, we'll go with a few stops in the Forest. There's an interesting village with a fairy/witch theme that also has a very old tea room. On our last trip, we stopped at another larger village with numerous shops and had one of the best scones ever. In a few hours, I'm driving my friend who lives in Bournemouth to BOS for her return flight to LHR. She claims her latest hobby is finding the best scones/cream tea in the South.

Darcy

Burley?

The village with the witch theme.

Started by a white witch who moved to the USA.

Right,I’m backing out now as JB is back.

Yes! We stopped for cream tea at the Old Farm House, then walked around the village shops before we drove to S'hampton to board our ship.

Darcy

Yes! We stopped for cream tea at the Old Farm House, then walked around the village shops before we drove to S'hampton to board our ship.

Darcy

Hi Darcy,

Years back I was a bakers' ingredients wholesaler & supplied the Old Farmhouse (in those days it was Burley Tea Room). And the Old Station Tea Room at nearby Holmsley - they used to win awards for their scones.

Burley is much more of a tourist village than Downton, There's little at either, but both have their different charms.

The "other larger village". Would that have been Lyndhurst, the self-proclaimed capital of the New Forest? Or mebbe Brockenhurst?

Hi Darcy,

Years back I was a bakers' ingredients wholesaler & supplied the Old Farmhouse (in those days it was Burley Tea Room). And the Old Station Tea Room at nearby Holmsley - they used to win awards for their scones.

Burley is much more of a tourist village than Downton, There's little at either, but both have their different charms.

The "other larger village". Would that have been Lyndhurst, the self-proclaimed capital of the New Forest? Or mebbe Brockenhurst?

Yes, we have been to Lyndhurst and stopped at Peggy Mae's and Lyndhurst Tea House. There's so much to experience in the Forest; seeing the animals and stopping for a scone or two - maybe a dozen scones for the flight back to BOS if LHR security doesn't confiscate them.

I'll share the name Old Station Tea Room with my friend who is now somewhere over the Atlantic on her way back to England.

Darcy

Yes, we have been to Lyndhurst and stopped at Peggy Mae's and Lyndhurst Tea House. There's so much to experience in the Forest; seeing the animals and stopping for a scone or two - maybe a dozen scones for the flight back to BOS if LHR security doesn't confiscate them.

I'll share the name Old Station Tea Room with my friend who is now somewhere over the Atlantic on her way back to England.

Darcy

http://www.stationhouseholmsley.com