Aqua Class & Blu vs Paying for Specialty Dining

WanderingRN84

Hi Everyone,

We are first time cruisers. Travelers are my husband, teenage daughter, teenage friend, and myself. We are currently in 2 concierge cabins. AQ is $150 more pp. And we are doing a 7 day cruise to Bermuda where we will be in port for 3 days. Wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to AQ or as first time cruisers especially to stick with what we have and add on a few nights of specialty restaurants.

Thanks for your help!

Susan

We have done both Aqua and MDR on the Summit and loved both. For just the 2 of us we would book Aqua again due to the intimate vibe in Blu, but when traveling with others probably the MDR. The Blu menu can be confusing (and is more limited) and we relied on our waiter to guide us - and he was always right! As first timers traveling with teens I would just go with the MDR.

With 2 teenagers, I would stick with Concierge Class. We love Blu and treat it as our own specialty restaurant, but for teens, not so much. You might be able to get a 30% or 2for1 discount for specialty dining -- I would go a night or two to Tuscan Grill in lieu of spending the extra money for AQ.

We sail in Aqua and have always enjoyed BLU, but our last cruise left a lot to be desired. The menu has changed and we were underwhelmed. Next cruise we willl book Conceige or a plain balcony and do the specialty restaurants.

Unless the teenagers have sophisticated palates and are willing to sit through a longer meal service, I would do MDR and specialty. The teens might even want to do buffet one night while the adults do a specialty.

Don't do Aqua Class and Blu. Go to the MDR and even the nightly buffet. The nightly buffet often has theme nights from different countries. A real good alternative. Be advised that the meals in the Specialty restaurants can be painfully long for some.

If you are sailing on an M-class ship, they have removed the Murano type Ocean liners specialty restaurants. Those IMHO are the only specialty restaurants that were worth the additional cost. Tuscan Grille is like an overpriced moderate chain restaurants and offer nothing even remotely worth the additional cost. Qsine is special for its quirky food presentations and the fact that you order from an Ipad. The teens might enjoy that one, not sure about you. Sushi on 5 is ala carte although there is a all inclusive price. On a 7 day cruise, I'd eat in the MDR if I didn't want to spend the extra cash on Aqua/Blu. Use the extra money for shore excursions. We do enjoy Blu.

With 2 teenagers, I would stick with Concierge Class. We love Blu and treat it as our own specialty restaurant, but for teens, not so much. You might be able to get a 30% or 2for1 discount for specialty dining -- I would go a night or two to Tuscan Grill in lieu of spending the extra money for AQ.

Why even pay for Concierge? With two teenagers who probably would prefer plainer food, why run up the cost? Unless they have extremely sophisticated palates, the buffet might suit them best. Pick and choose. Last month in Luminae I found myself ordering three nights from the MDR menu. I would book balconies and see how you like cruising.

Why even pay for Concierge?

I believe the ship is the summit and concierge/aqua cabins are 20 sq ft larger than the standard balcony cabins.plus, if it's of any value, you get more captain's club points.

Why even pay for Concierge? With two teenagers who probably would prefer plainer food, why run up the cost? Unless they have extremely sophisticated palates, the buffet might suit them best. Pick and choose. Last month in Luminae I found myself ordering three nights from the MDR menu. I would book balconies and see how you like cruising.

Was only a very small difference in price through my TA so I went for it.

Having done 20+ cruise on Celebrity, most until last year were in Aqua - stay where you are and eat in the Mdrm or if there is a night where there is a specialty restaurant discount, go. As others have posted, both Blu and the specialities mean a two hour block of time and not always a young persons type menu.

Mdrm and the Buffett offer a diversity of foods that everyone can enjoy! Find the menus that are available here on the boards and print them out and show them to your daughter to see what she thinks. The fact that your in Burmuda for three days might lend itself to a night out just for the change.

Hal

Yes this. And only a small difference in price. Great location on the ship.

I think you made the right decision. I enjoy dining in Blu. In Blu you can ask for a table of four. You dont have a set time for dinner. If you want to speed up dinner then no one order soup or salad. My other half has ordered more than once off the children's menu in Blu.

Hi Everyone,

We are first time cruisers. Travelers are my husband, teenage daughter, teenage friend, and myself. We are currently in 2 concierge cabins. AQ is $150 more pp. And we are doing a 7 day cruise to Bermuda where we will be in port for 3 days. Wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to AQ or as first time cruisers especially to stick with what we have and add on a few nights of specialty restaurants.

Thanks for your help!

Susan

I have cruised with Celebrity 7-8 Times, always in Concierge. Two reasons why I have never been tempted to move to Aqua: first, we have been quite happy with the food and service in the MDR. And also, I don’t like the location of Aqua cabins. On M-class like the Summit, the overhang of deck ten is intrusive enough when on a deck eight Concierge balcony. I think the balcony of a deck nine Aqua would feel like being in a tunnel or cave.

Q-sine was mentioned above. Basically a small-plates restaurant with quirky but tasty food. Best done in a group of at least four, otherwise it is hard to sample many dishes without wasting a lot of food.

Enjoy!

Stan