Royal Cabins?

grandpa cruiser

The “best” is subjective. Depends on how much you’re willing to spend and in general, where you like to be on a ship. The “best” is almost always a full suite but most can’t afford it nor want to spend that amount. I had E701 on the Royal, an “obstructed” view balcony cabin that wasn’t obstructed unless you’re looking so far forward you want to see the bridge.

I’d stay away from cabins on Marina deck that aren’t under other cabins. Horribly noisy starting at 3:30am every day with cleaning and set-up for the day.

Having been on both the Royal and Regal, twice each, go for Emerald deck, mid-ship obstructed balcony. Some balconies project a bit more and are a nice choice.

We are taking a BI cruise in May'18 and the 6 of us have cabins on Emerald.

Darcy

If you want a Standard Balcony, or slightly larger Deluxe Balcony, at a lower fare, do look for those mid-ship 'obstructed' balconies on Emerald Deck, as some really are not obstructed. And, they have larger extended, and sometimes angled balconies. Which is good because the balconies on this class of ship are very shallow, only like 4" deep. We had one of these booked on the Regal for our upcoming cruise that we had to recently cancel. : (

Right now, those cabins are not available on the sailing for later this year, as they are blocked off for 14-day Back-to-Back passengers.

Best cabins for quiet would avoid being right under the pool decks (the wee hours of the A.M. cleaning and re-setup of loungers)

You might want to avoid cabins right over louder venues such as night-clubs, bars, theater, etc...

And, of course, the usual advice about how mid-to-lower decks, and mid-ship will have less motion, when motion can sometimes be felt on higher decks, and forward cabins.

The best cabin for you is the one that meets your priorities and preferences!

If you are like me, long legs and a bum knee, even mini suite balconies don't cut it. They give you a foot stool but there is not enough room to sit in the chair and fully extend your leg. From the ship's deck plans the cabins forward and mid-deck are the largest.

• 2 weeks later...

This is always subjective. Each person has there own opinion. Each cabins has pros and cons.

Reading the post from Pam of California:- "I’d stay away from cabins on Marina deck that aren’t under other cabins. Horribly noisy starting at 3:30am every day with cleaning and set-up for the day.":-

- Not quite accurate, if you check the deck plans, the ones at the front are under Lido Cabins;

- "horribly noisy starting at 3:30pm" is one persons opinion, but is not always the case, having spent 25 nights in a cabin under the Horizon Court - where there is a section of tiled floor directly above the relevant cabin (having calculated the location of the room prior and seeing the location on boarding) which made one a little apprehensive, yet in all those nights and days, we heard minor scrapping of the chairs on the floor no more than half a dozen times which was around breakfast time, when it is was at its busiest. Never had an issue with it been loud - one made more noise moving around the cabin than came from the noise created above.

One of the aspects of these cabins, is that the Horizon Court overhangs the balcony, thus providing shade, but the slight negative is that with this overhang it does slightly affect ones ability to look directly up at the night sky - but to me, this only a slight negative - again this is subjective.

Everyone has their own experiences and opinions. One person could have a bad experience, and this can be reflected in their opinions, and whilst this should not be 'written off', it should be weighed up against all the other experiences. Hence, why I felt compelled to give some feedback on my experience.

Normally we go for cabins that are located between Cabins above and below, like others have mentioned, but as I like the mini-suites on princess, I was limited in location. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the mini-suite, and would be more than happy to stay under the Horizon Court again.

Again, cabin selection is subjective, and one should consider all feedback and weigh this up against what works for them.

Unless you don't mind people looking into your balcony from above, I'd avoid a cabin under or close to the Skywalk. Passengers looking down through the glass floor or over the rail can look right into these balconies. If this doesn't bother you, these are great cabins, although the balconies are quite small. Some of the largest balconies on the ship are the forward Obstructed Deluxe Balcony cabins on Emerald Deck--the obstruction is that the rail is metal instead of glass. There are very few of these and they go fast because they are larger and priced below a regular balcony cabin.