Information on Land Portion of Celebrity Cruise Tour

handbellplayer

We are taking a Cruise Tour on the Millennium next August. The land portion is first and then we sail one way to Vancouver. I have searched in vain for any information on the optional excursions and their costs offered by the cruise line during the land portion. It's clear what's included, but there are many blocks of time that say "on your own", but are vague as to times and whether optional excursions are offered.

I can't book my own activities because I don't know the schedule, and we have no way of planning for the expenses involved in the optional excursions offered by Celebrity.

(Please don't tell me, "I'd never book a cruise tour - we always do it on our own". This is the decision that we made for our first trip to Alaska and we won't be changing it now.)

Has anyone that has taken a tour help with some more information?

We are sailing Radiance of the Seas in May and doing a cruisetour prior to our sailing. It is very frustrating trying to find out information for the optional excursions on the land portion. What I have done is to search through all of the Radiance reviews that include cruisetours, for the last couple of years and have found some scanned copies of the sheet of optional excursions. I only found an older scan of the list for our actual cruisetour but it has given us some idea of what will be offered.

I would search the review threads that are pinned at the top of the forum and see if there are any Millenium reviews with scans.

Good luck.:)

We are sailing Radiance of the Seas in May and doing a cruisetour prior to our sailing. It is very frustrating trying to find out information for the optional excursions on the land portion. What I have done is to search through all of the Radiance reviews that include cruisetours, for the last couple of years and have found some scanned copies of the sheet of optional excursions. I only found an older scan of the list for our actual cruisetour but it has given us some idea of what will be offered.

I would search the review threads that are pinned at the top of the forum and see if there are any Millenium reviews with scans.

Thanks - I've tried that, but I'll try again.

I've searched again and found nothing helpful. Surely a lot of people take these tours. I guess they don't post. I've found these boards to be so helpful.

We did the same cruise last May on the Millie (Tundra wilderness tour. Fairbanks-Denali-Anchorage(just a short stop)-Seward.) At the first night orientation at the hotel in Fairbanks, the tour directors handed out a list of all optional land excursions and you can sign up for them then or up to the day of the excursion. I think all of the activities were after dinner. There was 1 or 2 goofy dinner-theater type things, which we didn't go to. In Denali, there was hiking with a guide, a trip to dogsled camp, several other things that I can't remember. The tour director collected money the day of the excursion, IIRC. I want to say that the tours ranged from $50 to $150 ish, but again, my memory fails me. Sorry, I guess I'm not much help, lol. At the hotel in Denali, you could also sign up for tours through the hotel, but I think they were pretty similar, if not the same, tours as we booked through Celebrity. Again, if I remember correctly, the tours are run by a company that contracts with Celebrity, which is probably why you can't find anything on the website. I'll see if I can find any more info amongst the stuff we saved from the trip and come back here if I do.

We are doing the Wilderness Tundra tour in late July 2018. When I get back I’ll post about my experience. I posted questions about this cruise tour last week and got few responses also. If you search my name you may see the answers I got.

Where are you going to be? At the least, you could know what is available, and the time needed. If you choose, post your entire mainland itinerary- with the type of transits involved. There are some standards to most cruisetours, that could be assistance to you.

Denali is simple to know ahead, http://www.nps.gov/dena has loads of information. Cruise tour offerings will be contracts with the local vendors.

Thanks to all. Sheesmi – you were helpful – thank you. Bancytu – I’ll do that search. Budget Queen – that’s a good idea. I’ll go ahead and do research on those ports. Here’s what I’ve figured out from the documentation I have:

Fairbanks: After 5:30 pm free (they say something about a show that does sound pretty cheesy)

Denali Day 1: After 3:30 pm free

Denali Day 2: Touring all day

Denali Day 3: Morning free

Talkeeta: Free until late afternoon

We were on the Millie for the Alaska cruise tour in 2015 and loved it! I too was having problems finding information so I called my CVP and he emailed all of the information for the tours available during the land portion. You are definitely doing this the right direction - land first. That's what we did and it was nice to start with the much more active portion and then finish being spoiled on the ship. We talked to people who did the cruise first and they really regretted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Millie for the Alaska cruise tour in 2015 and loved it! I too was having problems finding information so I called my CVP and he emailed all of the information for the tours available during the land portion. You are definitely doing this the right direction - land first. That's what we did and it was nice to start with the much more active portion and then finish being spoiled on the ship. We talked to people who did the cruise first and they really regretted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's great to know. I will ask my TA if she can call Celebrity and ask for it.

Thanks!

Here is review on Radiance from last year. On the bottom of the OP's first post, she put some PDF files, and one of them was the optional land excursions for Tour 5B. I am guessing Royal and Celebrity would pretty much offer the same options for the land tours. Hope this helps a little.

Jeff

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2528515

Here is review on Radiance from last year. On the bottom of the OP's first post, she put some PDF files, and one of them was the optional land excursions for Tour 5B. I am guessing Royal and Celebrity would pretty much offer the same options for the land tours. Hope this helps a little.

Jeff

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2528515

Thank you! That was helpful.

A huge positive with Celebrity, in Talkeetna, is they use, Talkeetna Alaska Lodge. Popular touring options are of course flying, be knowledgable about the details, different routes and aircraft. :) Raft tours are also popular, fishing. Some excellent eateries. The Roadhouse certainly is a top pick, but very crowded. I like the Latitude as well. and a lot quieter. :)

the Fairbanks, option, is likely Pioneer Park, and the Palace Theater. I actually enjoyed it, along with the historic details of the park. They do have a decent Salmon Bake, that I always get there early for. But, haven't been there in the last couple years, so more current info is needed. I always have a car, which allows me my preferences. It's a difficult place to tour without on, in my opinion, unless you are enjoying a flight option which are superb. :)