Between these 3 ports, which one to fish?

bgyoshi

Which Port of Call would you go fishing in?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which Port of Call would you go fishing in?

• Skagway
    • Juneau
    • Ketchikan

Going as a big family in first week of May, our first Princess and Alaska cruise. Father-in-law wants to fish in at least one of the port of calls. We're stopping in Skagway (7AM-8:30PM), Juneau (6AM-4PM), then Ketchikan (10AM-6PM). Of the three, which has the best fishing? or which would you go fishing in?

Our goal is to have 1 port of call where we do something mellow together as a family, including grandparents, my son, etc., so something for all ages. and 1 port of call something a little more adventurous for the younger crowd, and then the 3rd port of call, the guys wanna go fishing, and the rest of us will just figure something out.

So far, I was thinking...

- Skagway - Yukon route railroad/suspension bridge - family affair

- Juneau - maybe sea kayaking

- Ketchikan - fishing

Any advice/opinions appreciated. Thanks!

You can fish in May in Ketchikan but honestly, I don't think you will catch anything. I have spoken to dozens of people who have gone in May and they have all come back with out anything and wish they had known that May is not a good time to fish as they have spent $$$ to fish there.

Ketchikan is going to be your best bet but you need to ask yourself if you want to spend hundreds per person and it is ok to come back empty.

Going as a big family in first week of May, our first Princess and Alaska cruise. Father-in-law wants to fish in at least one of the port of calls. We're stopping in Skagway (7AM-8:30PM), Juneau (6AM-4PM), then Ketchikan (10AM-6PM). Of the three, which has the best fishing? or which would you go fishing in?

Our goal is to have 1 port of call where we do something mellow together as a family, including grandparents, my son, etc., so something for all ages. and 1 port of call something a little more adventurous for the younger crowd, and then the 3rd port of call, the guys wanna go fishing, and the rest of us will just figure something out.

- Ketchikan - fishing

Fishing usually starts in early June. The salmon are just starting their run up river. You might be able to get Hally common name is Halibut. Nicer fish than salmon in our minds.

- Ketchikan - fishing

for clairfication- you are looking at a ship tour for Skagway? Your tour choice, frankly isn't one I recommend. The suspension bridge is so so at best, and isn't even in the Yukon. :) You also are just doing a Fraser round trip and not getting INTO the Yukon? Details are important in tour descriptions.

You've already been told you are out of season for fishing. this is going to be a costly option, so you may want to have something else included? A possibility would be to consider a combo with a whale watch? Would be available out of both Skagway and Juneau. Then leave kayaking out of Ketchikan, which is superb- Ii only recommend going independent though. 2 vendors I have used, that are well run companies.

As for Skagway- going independent is a big advnatage with the road trip portion. This area is a poor choice by large tour bus with more restrictive views. Only fixed stops as well. Something to consider perhaps?

If you’re not looking to ship salmon back to your home, check your cruise line excursions for “Fish Camp” or something similar in Ketchikan. My DH has done this excursion with both HAL and Princess and always had a great time.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31030-d3600563-r399147540-Baranof_Fishing_Excursions-Ketchikan_Alaska.html

If your guys enjoy stream fishing, DH caught Dolly Varden trout early in May in Juneau. It was very expensive, however, because they fly you to a stream.